How many legal fuel cars?? (1 Viewer)

MW

Nitro Member
With the new NHRA chassis rules does anyone know how many legal cars are out there? On the IHRA side I think Litton, Zizzo, and Strasburg in Top Fuel are NHRA legal, but Funny Car my guess is none of the IHRA cars could meet the new specs.

Last edited:
The IHRA still allows the 10.1d(e) spec for nitro F/C with some talk about the addition of another tube inserted the lower frame rails, so they won't have to go to the 10.5 spec for another year or two since the IHRA teams dont have the budget or run their cars as hard as the NHRA F/C's do, I don't know about the T/F cars though.

Litton was to have a chassis prepped for the US Nationals. His focus is on the IHRA Championship again this year.

I see Ron Smith and Craig Smith are entered @ Seattle. I can't imagine these cars being legal (I could be wrong), and again will leave just 16 cars. Funny Car has 17 entries. Again, does anyone really know how many NHRA legal cars are out there?

I'm thinking there maybe a diminishing number of these cars and/or lower budget racers jumping to the softer IHRA requirements because of the insane requirements imposed on the builders by the current SFI Fuel Specs.

A requirement for the NHRA Pro Fuel chassis is that EVERY 24' length of frame tubing in the spec area has to be lab tested beyond the producing mill's specification they can provide re: properties , heat number, etc.

That is bafflingly ludicrous.

Tell me I'm wrong that the manufactuerer's paperwork isn't good enough for FAA and PROBABLY NASA.

There's even a flaw in the spec (really, many others in a court of law, but the subject is tubing, now).

4130n tubing is manufactured in 17 to 24 foot lengths, so by that, a builder shouldn't have to lab test anything SHORTER than 24' since that's all the SPEC requires.

I could go on, but nausea sets in.

Last edited:
I see Ron Smith and Craig Smith are entered @ Seattle. I can't imagine these cars being legal (I could be wrong), and again will leave just 16 cars. Funny Car has 17 entries. Again, does anyone really know how many NHRA legal cars are out there?

Mark, I'm takin' a stab here but both Smiths run at our National event each year (I think), both live here in Washington, and Brad Hadmans shop is less than 30 miles from the track. I'm guessing both have been updated.

JMHO: of course I could be talking out of my butt!:eek:

Wayne :)

Tell me I'm wrong that the manufactuerer's paperwork isn't good enough for FAA and PROBABLY NASA.
OK, you're wrong, FAA and NASA both require periodic testing. NASA used to require testing on ALL materials for certain space projects like engine components of the Space Shuttle.

I have seen with my own eyes bogus material certs that came from Korea and this was on military project that required the material be bought from a list of approved suppliers which it was.

Until you have dealt with falsely certified materials, certs appear to be good enough.

I think requiring material testing is a good step, now they need to certify welders on a yearly basis.

now they need to certify welders on a yearly basis.

Paul; only if there is a better test than I've seen. Chuck Beal is a nuclear quality engineer for General Atomic and set up a test for me with the results going to a lab. I walked in with my finished test parts and the guy goes, "WOW, you pass", here's your paperwork, start filling it out while I go do the cert checks". I didn't know wheather to laugh or cry!
Then I got to go on a tour of a major airliner manufacturer that I'd best not name, but I was so impressed that I did NOT get on a plane for over seven years! FACT!

Bob

Appreciate the correction on testing - I don't want to debate the subject "periodic" with you, but in the case of airframe tubing I doubt testing EACH PIECE qualifies as periodic. And I'm not sure the major tubing producers would run the risk of fraud.

CONVERSLY, though, a major rod end manufacturer was "busted" a few years back, and, I was told and I'd glad to forward the source of the information, they passed their penalty paid on to their consumers.

Locally, near to me in So Cal, there was an aerospace supplying firm that had to pay a $900,000 fine -they're still in business, though. (They were PLATING undersized hardware up to size, among other infractions!).

Underlying my previous post is the weak attempts SFI has made to truly bring their fuel car chassis specs up to where they should be from an understandable standpoint, both legal and engineering-wise. That's my major gripe.

Amen, to the weld test, but it was because the then over 130 SEMA chassis builders balked at that proposal years ago that the current diameter and wall thickness testing came to be.

Last edited:
Paul; only if there is a better test than I've seen. Chuck Beal is a nuclear quality engineer for General Atomic and set up a test for me with the results going to a lab. I walked in with my finished test parts and the guy goes, "WOW, you pass", here's your paperwork, start filling it out while I go do the cert checks". I didn't know wheather to laugh or cry!
Then I got to go on a tour of a major airliner manufacturer that I'd best not name, but I was so impressed that I did NOT get on a plane for over seven years! FACT!

Bob
Bob, I don't doubt it a bit, but the test should have taken a few days to get the results, eve if done in-house.

And doing cert check is not correct, a complete chemical and physical properties analysis is required and that takes awhile.

Years ago, I used to write material, welding and welder testing specs and had the opportunity to work with some great welders and even they sometimes failed, usually for the smallest infraction.

And Norm, when I was in aerospace, periodic meant yearly, that is, if you still had the material.

I think NHRA is trying to get an arm around the whole process of building fuel cars and until they know what they have, this type re-testing will be the norm.

I expect them to add filler rod to the testing requirement soon.

Bob

Great Post Bob! Smart dude that Chuck (whats he doin' besides being a grandpa?!-LOL) If you know Chuck...You Know DANA...tooooo much fun all of 'em!!! NOBODY can fill a swimming pool with waitresses like those Kats!!!
Ask Mr. Bealmobile!!! WE have fun, fun, fun, till daddy (!)(-you figure!
) took the t-bird away!!!! Gotta ask Chuck about our indoor surfing competition in an indoor pool in Spokane, Wa.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GD BLESS!!!!
Kev!:p

Bob, I don't doubt it a bit, but the test should have taken a few days to get the results, eve if done in-house.

And doing cert check is not correct, a complete chemical and physical properties analysis is required and that takes awhile.

Years ago, I used to write material, welding and welder testing specs and had the opportunity to work with some great welders and even they sometimes failed, usually for the smallest infraction.

And Norm, when I was in aerospace, periodic meant yearly, that is, if you still had the material.

I think NHRA is trying to get an arm around the whole process of building fuel cars and until they know what they have, this type re-testing will be the norm.

I expect them to add filler rod to the testing requirement soon.

YOU are QUESTIONING BOB ? WOW!!!! who you.:confused:

Does anyone now on here if the welding on TF or FC chassis are third party tested(independent testing agency) after fabrication? Are all welds considered tp be fillet welds, partial, or full penetration welds? If they are third party tested who hires the agency? Who is certifying the welds meet specs? What tests are being done, visual, dye penetrate, UT, x-ray or ?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back