Home Theatre setup (1 Viewer)

Alan

Nitro Member
Hey guys, my wife and I bought ourselves a new TV, Blue-Ray, and surround system for Xmas. The question I have concerns my digital cable box/dvr unit. I am running HDMI cables on everything, but even though I have the HDMI cable from the cable box unit to the TV, do I still need to run the coax cable as well???

Any other tips or advice for me??

What Blu-Ray and surround speakers did you get?

Hubby got a Sony Blu-Ray player for Christmas -- he bought me a 42 inch Toshiba Regza for my birthday in September :D -- so all we need now is the speakers.

As far as the coax, I'm not sure, but I can scope out our set up at home. I think hubby has the coax going to the cable box then the HDMI going from the box to the TV but I will double check when I get home from work tonight.

Oh, what TV did you get, too? Take a photo when you get your set up all put together. New toys are fun!

No you do not have to run a coax cable with the HDMI hook-up

Last edited:
Run the HDMI cable from the cable box to the home theater unit, then a second HDMI from the home theater box to the TV and turn the TV speakers off. If your Blu Ray isn't part of the theater, do the same with it - an HDMI cable from the Blu Ray player to the home theater, not the TV.

Most home theater units are designed to work in this configuration and you will get the best video and sound performance on both cable and DVD.

- Larry

Run the HDMI cable from the cable box to the home theater unit, then a second HDMI from the home theater box to the TV and turn the TV speakers off. If your Blu Ray isn't part of the theater, do the same with it - an HDMI cable from the Blu Ray player to the home theater, not the TV.

Most home theater units are designed to work in this configuration and you will get the best video and sound performance on both cable and DVD.

- Larry

Larry, Sony has us running the HDMI from the home theater unit to the TV, and the cable box, Blu-Ray, and XBOX to the TV via HDMI, then everything comes on using the Bravia SYnc system. I still probably do not even know half of what the system will do!!!!

We have a DAV-HDX576WF home theatre system, with the S-AIR wireless rear speakers and portable speaker unit (you'll have to read the details on the Sony site.....) a BDP-S350 Blu-Ray player, and a KDL-46z4100 TV, all on a TV stand from IKEA......that is one great store in itself!! We browsed around for 3 hours looking at everything!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back