Opinions needed...... (1 Viewer)

Alan

Nitro Member
What is everyone's take on the TV offerings of Dish Network, Direct TV, or my local Comcast Digital cable. Anyone have problems with any of these in the past? Looking at different packages, as well as getting a DVR with the setup.

What is everyone's take on the TV offerings of Dish Network, Direct TV, or my local Comcast Digital cable. Anyone have problems with any of these in the past? Looking at different packages, as well as getting a DVR with the setup.

Biggest problem with a dish where I live is that you can't get any local channels. We only have 2 local channels here...ABC and Fox. Neither comes in well with an antenna.

Alan,
We have Dish Network and love it. We have all our local channels and I even pay an extra 5 bucks a month to have an extra dish for my motor home wherever we go. I'm sure there are more options but I see no need for anything more than what we have. There are several packages that provide more specialized channels but I have the middle-of-the-road one that also gets speed channel.

We like our bundle of cable TV, internet, and phone for around $100 a month here.

Ron (working outside in a T-shirt today) in Bristol. :D

Alan,
We have Dish Network and love it. We have all our local channels and I even pay an extra 5 bucks a month to have an extra dish for my motor home wherever we go. I'm sure there are more options but I see no need for anything more than what we have. There are several packages that provide more specialized channels but I have the middle-of-the-road one that also gets speed channel.

I have to agree with Bobby on this one. I switched to Dish Network a little over 9 months ago and I love it compared to Comcast. I have only lost service once and that was during a Tornado warning. I have the top of the line package and it is still cheaper then what I was paying with Comcast (Digital/HD/DVR/2 Premium Channels). Additionally, the HD line-up is much stronger with Dish offering roughly 50 more channels compared to Comcast. I have no problems getting all the local Chicago channels either. In my area, AT&T and Dish have a great promo where AT&T will pay $25 per month towards your Dish bill in addition to the Dish incentives.

I've been leaning towards Dish Network, they have a nice package deal with DVR and they offer several of our local channels. The DVR is a must have, I'm tired of setting the VCR for the races!!!!

I had a big dish for 25 years and when I switched I went to direct tv for one reason, everyone that I know that has dish network has reception problems including the folks next to me. I will say the customer service from direct tv is top notch. When I upgrade to HD in november I was suppose to get $100 credit that I didnt get, called got the credit and HD for free for 6 months just to say thanks. Price, if one is cheaper than the other its like cell phones, the other will catch up next month. I pay $125.00 a month for HD, every moive channel that they offer, 4 recivers including DVR.

My Dish Network has never gone down once. It's been flawless.

I will say this. Find out what equipment you need for the service you are seeking then go on line (eBay, etc.) and buy your equipment outright. I own everything we have so I rent nothing and it's way cheaper and my equipment has been flawless. Even in the motorhome we have the two-channel receiver so I can be in the master watching something while she is in the living room watching something completely different. It's actually quite awesome to be completely back in the woods where there is no cell phone reception, power, etc. watching satellite TV of choice.

I've had both. Like Direct TV best, less down time due to electric storms. Only a few minutes. Dish would go out every time it rained. Also, Direct's sports package give me college hockey. Not available on Dish.
Art

Well, now that I live in the sticks, our only option is Northland Cable for digital cable and internet. You can't even get it everywhere here.....can't even get satellite in all our neighborhoods.

I had Time Warner/Comcast during Huricane Rita and it never even went out of service. We had internet and cable the whole time. Our DirecTV used to go out ALL the time during storms before that. It even skipped service when airplanes passed overhead. Used to aggravate me something fierce when I was recording something on TIVO.

Had lots of billing problems with DirectTV, and had problems getting them to fix their service after they didn't install properly. Any time it rained, we'd get snowy channels. So far, cable has been the more expensive, but best way to go.

I looked at both Dish Network and DirecTV when I was ready for a satellite system 10 years ago, and I went with DirecTV. It is far better for sports, which is why I was moving from cable to satellite in the first place. If you decide to go with DirecTV, please let me refer you as a new customer. We'll both get $50 and you'll get a free DVR!

Bob :)

I have Comcast Digital cable & high speed internet. The thing I like about cable vs satellite is we can have every tv on a different channel where as with satellite you need a box for each tv. The few times I have had either the cable or internet service go out, I have called Comcast & told them I don't think I should be paying for a service that I'm not receiving & they have credited my bill according to how long service was out. As far as a DVR goes, I am so spoiled by those things! It's nice to be able to rewind live tv & the recording options you have are amazing. I recently had some problems with my Internet not working & Comcast came out & replaced everything from the pole to the house & did not charge a thing.I will admit it took them about 4 service calls to fix it,but every time they came out it worked for awhile so I could not blame them,it just took some trial & error. Sorry for such a long post but my vote is cable.

We`ve had DirecTV for about eight years now and I`ve been happy with it. I`ve had a few issues with the cheapo DVRs we gotten from them acting up (we`ve gone thru about three), but all it takes is a phone call to customer service and they will give you pretty much whatever you ask for as far as a credit goes. They usually will give you Showtime or something equivalent free for six months too. I`ve got friends who are happy wish Dish, but Dish doesn`t have NFL Sunday Ticket or MLB Extra Innings and we subscribe to both of those. One drawback to DirecTV is we had to put up a second dish to get local channels.

Last edited:
Well, now that I live in the sticks, our only option is Northland Cable for digital cable and internet. You can't even get it everywhere here.....can't even get satellite in all our neighborhoods.

I had Time Warner/Comcast during Huricane Rita and it never even went out of service. We had internet and cable the whole time. Our DirecTV used to go out ALL the time during storms before that. It even skipped service when airplanes passed overhead. Used to aggravate me something fierce when I was recording something on TIVO.

I know I'm very technologically illiterate but, how do you not get satellite? It's up in the air, right? :D How far out in the sticks ARE you? :eek: Did you cross a border without noticing? :)

Last edited:
We`ve had DirecTV for about eight years now and I`ve been happy with it. I`ve had a few issues with the cheapo DVRs we gotten from them acting up (we`ve gone thru about three), but all it takes is a phone call to customer service and they will give you pretty much whatever you ask for as far as a credit goes. They usually will give you Showtime or something equivalent free for six months too. I`ve got friends who are happy wish Dish, but Dish doesn`t have NFL Sunday Ticket or MLB Extra Innings and we subscribe to both of those. One drawback to DirecTV is we had to put up a second dish to get local channels.
That's kinda weird. I pay $6/month extra to get all of my local channels with my original dish, no extra dish necessary.

Another plus with DirecTV is, the NFL Network is included in their first tier sports package. I don't know of any cable system that isn't charging extra for that channel -- some are even making it PayPerView!

I know I'm very technologically illiterate but, how do you not get satellite? It's up in the air, right? :D How far out in the sticks ARE you? :eek: Did you cross a border without noticing? :)
DUDE! Tell me about it. I decided NOT to buy a house on an acre cuz that area couldn't get satellite, digital cable NOR high speed internet of any kind. CRAZY!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back