Wireless broadband (1 Viewer)

BrettV

Nitro Member
Does anyone have any experience to share with setting up and using a wireless broadband card in a wireless router for home use? We have decided to bite the bullet and get high speed internet. Can't get DAL (even though the office park less than 1/2 away has it), not available through cable, and I've decided satellite internet isn't worth it.

I have friends that have a home network setup using a Sprint aircard and the say it works great. Of course they have unlimited usage that isn't available now. That's my biggest concern is running over the 5 GB per month limit. We don't use anything near that much now on dial-up, but I don't download many large files either. I download as many updates and anti-virus dat files as I can at work and bring them home to install, and about once a month I take 2 laptops to church to use their DSL to install windows updates. When I did that last week it was over 500 MB! With Sprint it is 5 cents/MB if you go over but Verizon is 25 cents/MB. However I will get better signal if I use Verizon.

Any insights and tips are appreciated.

Does anyone have any experience to share with setting up and using a wireless broadband card in a wireless router for home use? We have decided to bite the bullet and get high speed internet. Can't get DAL (even though the office park less than 1/2 away has it), not available through cable, and I've decided satellite internet isn't worth it.

I have friends that have a home network setup using a Sprint aircard and the say it works great. Of course they have unlimited usage that isn't available now. That's my biggest concern is running over the 5 GB per month limit. We don't use anything near that much now on dial-up, but I don't download many large files either. I download as many updates and anti-virus dat files as I can at work and bring them home to install, and about once a month I take 2 laptops to church to use their DSL to install windows updates. When I did that last week it was over 500 MB! With Sprint it is 5 cents/MB if you go over but Verizon is 25 cents/MB. However I will get better signal if I use Verizon.

Any insights and tips are appreciated.

I have a Verizon wireless broadband card and can only have one computer at a time on it. It's great for when I am traveling but it's not very good for a home network solution. I have Qwest DSL at home, and use the Verizon card for school and when we are at the races.

I have a Verizon wireless broadband card and can only have one computer at a time on it. It's great for when I am traveling but it's not very good for a home network solution. I have Qwest DSL at home, and use the Verizon card for school and when we are at the races.

Thanks Jenn. I know Linksys and others make a wireless router specifically for broadband cards. Once the card is activated in a computer you plug it into the router and then (after a bit of setup) anyone on the wierless network can access the internet via the card.

Thanks Jenn. I know Linksys and others make a wireless router specifically for broadband cards. Once the card is activated in a computer you plug it into the router and then (after a bit of setup) anyone on the wierless network can access the internet via the card.

The speed kinda sucks though, did you know that? The Broadband card I have so far has to max out at 5MB where my home nextwork is 50 and 100 on the wall.

I can't get DSL out where I live & refuse to pay what the cable company is asking for limited use. I can get Clearwire, which is wireless broadband, I have an awesome signal. We have a linksys router so that Rick can use his laptop while I am on my desk top or I can use my work laptop. The price is reasonable and the speeds are really great. I just wish my company came out here because I would love to get Uverse and the internet speeds at my price! :eek: :D

The speed kinda sucks though, did you know that? The Broadband card I have so far has to max out at 5MB where my home nextwork is 50 and 100 on the wall.

I guess it's a matter of what you are used to. I am posting this using my dial-up connection at a blazing 28.8 THOUSAND(!) bits per second! :rolleyes:

I can't get DSL out where I live & refuse to pay what the cable company is asking for limited use. I can get Clearwire, which is wireless broadband, I have an awesome signal. We have a linksys router so that Rick can use his laptop while I am on my desk top or I can use my work laptop. The price is reasonable and the speeds are really great. I just wish my company came out here because I would love to get Uverse and the internet speeds at my price! :eek: :D

I haven't heard about Clearwire, I will check it out. We are supposed to be getting broadband installed around here using some state and federal grants, but who knows when it will be available. I'm not happy to pay 7 times what we are paying for broadband, but with the wife and 2 kids taking online classes we need it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back