An ESPN3 Question (1 Viewer)

Terry

Nitro Member
Ok Gang, this will probably sound pretty dumb to those of you who are already using ESPN3 but here's my situation. I live in the country and have Dish Network. I do not have in home internet, because my remote location relegates me to satellite internet only, which if it comes with enough bandwidth to be of any use, is prohibitively expensive in my area. I use a hotspot on my android and a wireless internet "whistle" on my computer to use the internet when I need to use the computer. Most of my internet use is on the phone or the tablet via hotspot.
Now after that rather lengthy preamble, I get to the question I have. After considerable research and downloading of apps, it appears that if I don't have an internet provider at home, I can't partake in the wonders of ESPN3. I hope this conclusion is wrong, but I don't seem to be able to figure out any other answer. Any and all Mater ESPN3 user knowledge and advice will be appreciated. Thanks

it is my understanding that yes, you have to have an internet provider that supports ESPN3 to get it...even if you don't use that ISP to access ESPN3

I have it through Cox Communications, and although it works on every internet service provider, that is only in the U.S.- I don't get broadcasts on foreign shores. When I log in on another ISP, it just asks me for my Cox logon info, and I'm in...

does dish network not have espn3 channel or is it not a cable channel
(i'm a canadian)
Dean
I have Time Warner internet with Dish Network as my tv provider. I cannot get ESPN3 because Dish network is not contracted thru espn to allow their customers to view espn3. Time Warner will not allow me to see Espn3 because I do not subscribe to their cable tv package.

Common questions.. What TV channel is ESPN3? It isn't. The only way to view it is through a streaming internet connection. How do I watch? This one is more complex. ESPN3 has merged with WatchESPN. If you have an Internet Service Provider (ISP) that is partnered with ESPN, then you may go to espn3.com on your personal computer and watch any ESPN3 based show (live friday night qualifying and full sunday broadcast of NHRA). However, you may NOT watch the streaming TV content, such as the ESPN2 programs that are also being simulcast UNLESS you have a TV provider that is linked with ESPN also. I know on my app for my cell phone, I only have Comcast Internet at home and Dish Network tv. I am able to watch the ESPN3 shows only. However since my sister has Comcast Cable, I can use her log in information to the comcast website to be able to view it all.

To Terry, without an internet provider of your own that you pay a monthly fee to, no you would not be able to access ESPN3. Dish Network is not one of the providers to allow you to watch.
To Dean, no, ESPN3 is not a TV channel and is not carried by any provider, it is internet only.

You can get a lot of info here: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/faq

And yes, unfortunately for the foreigners..
Can I access WatchESPN internationally?
At this time, WatchESPN is only available on U.S. domestic internet and wireless services.

Dave, thanks for the info. That's about what I surmised, but I wanted some concrete info. That explains why I am unable to get the app on the phone to work also. Thanks!

now, there do seem to be a person or two who "rebroadcast" the ESPN3 pretty quickly after original airing .... at one point this year, it almost seemed to be with the NHRA's passive OK.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back