Highest Top Fuel Car Count You Have Seen Ever? (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
What event and when did you see the most Top Fuel Dragsters?

For me it was the 1966 Fuel & Gas Championships at Famoso Raceway, it had a staggering and maybe unmatched before or after of 110 Fuel Dragsters!
110!!!

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Short Track Announcer

Can you imagine in todays world how long it would take to do just 1 session with maybe only 30 cars? The hands down best run track for nitro back in the day was Lions. They could have 30+ AA/FD entries for a 16 car field, have the last session at 6 when the gates were closed for qualifying, first round at 7:15 and done by 11.

TopFuel@Lions

Yep & they sometimes also ran Top Gas - Fuel Alterds or Jr. Fuel along with the Brackets - Gassers and Bikes and that LeMans deal where the drivers had to run across the track and back - jump in - start the car and run. You could also get back in if someone broke. There were also times when San Gabriel - Carlabad - Fontana - Ramona - Later Irwindale and Orange County ran Fuel Cars on the same day. Does that tell you how many cars there were.

For Top Fuel I would say I have probably only seen 19. I know for a fact that late 90's to early 2000's the Pro Stock field was close to 40 at the annual Englishtown event

Last edited:
2011 Las Vegas 2 - 27 Cars

1583262023527.png

2011 Las Vegas 2 - 27 Cars

View attachment 5792

I wonder if we will ever see that again. The closest you get to that is TAD/TAFC at Indy and just about every single pro mod outing. If you were placing a bet saying that the Gators PM field will be less than 30 cars, you are playing dangerously.

I wonder if we will ever see that again. The closest you get to that is TAD/TAFC at Indy and just about every single pro mod outing. If you were placing a bet saying that the Gators PM field will be less than 30 cars, you are playing dangerously.
Nostalgia funny car is like that also but I think that is because there is only a hand full of major races each year and that keeps the cost of touring way down. But, the fans seem to love them when they show up. In fact Alex Miladinovich and myself are driving up to Bakersfield on Fri to watch the funnycars run at the March Meet.

Yep & they sometimes also ran Top Gas - Fuel Alterds or Jr. Fuel along with the Brackets - Gassers and Bikes and that LeMans deal where the drivers had to run across the track and back - jump in - start the car and run. You could also get back in if someone broke. There were also times when San Gabriel - Carlabad - Fontana - Ramona - Later Irwindale and Orange County ran Fuel Cars on the same day. Does that tell you how many cars there were.

One of my favorite shows at Lions was T/G, JR/F and AA/FA. Would love going there on Sat night & couldn't figure out why more fans weren't there. One night Lions had Moats & Williams twice motored car from the Midwest, trying to break the 6 second barrier. A ton of T/G cars were there, lotsa twins & singles. No way was I gonna miss that race! In the end, it came down to 2 single engine cars running for the win. All the twins were out, no one ran a 6. Wish I remembered who won that race. There was a T/G car called The Mustard Gasser. Another with a 3 speed automatic trans & wheelie bars. Gas House Gang. Oh man, I loved those 3 classes. Great way to spend a Sat night! :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back