The Best/Real Staging Duel------Ever! (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
All this yappin and hoopla over the burndown or staging duel is mildly amusing, let us get real folks and recognize the most important, historical, and meaningful starting line battle. The one that meant the most, the best ever between Steve Carbone and Don Garlits at Indianapolis Raceway Park in the final round of the Nationals. None meant more that that one.....period, end of statement. There was so much on the line in so many ways, it wasn't the shortest or longest, it was the most significant ever.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

That was the first national event that I attended. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. And yes, the Garlits-Carbone staging battle was something to witness. 50 years ago! Geesh!!

Big’s pride got the best of him.......he stages, he probably wins.....had a good car that day......
Big personally told me he should never have gotten into it, he had no chance with the aluminum block he was running. I agree this was the greatest and the first one I remember. Was lucky enough to see Force/Bazemore @ Rt 66 in a fall race, both ran out of fuel around 800ft.

Garlits had an aluminum block for that race? I always thought it was cast iron. Was it the Milodon block? I remember the Donovan block that came out in 1971; John Wiebe was the first to run it. Hot Rod had a cover shot with Wiebe, Garlits and.... forgetting third driver, maybe Snake? They were all excited about it. Then Milodon came out with a 426 based block, but it was supposed to be too pourous & leaked. Then Keith Black came out with his version (426) & it was the best. They were all castings but better than iron blocks. I don't even know who makes the billet blocks today. Lots of different companies make them.

Garlits had an aluminum block for that race? I always thought it was cast iron. Was it the Milodon block? I remember the Donovan block that came out in 1971; John Wiebe was the first to run it. Hot Rod had a cover shot with Wiebe, Garlits and.... forgetting third driver, maybe Snake? They were all excited about it. Then Milodon came out with a 426 based block, but it was supposed to be too pourous & leaked. Then Keith Black came out with his version (426) & it was the best. They were all castings but better than iron blocks. I don't even know who makes the billet blocks today. Lots of different companies make them.
Just checked, he actually had aluminum heads and a smaller tank.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back