When Dwight Needed Some Shade (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
It was another 70's Saturday afternoon at Orange County International Raceway. It was late in the day and the final qualifying session was underway, the yellow "Salisbury Stake" fuel dragster had done his burnout and was at the line trying to get into and deep into the field.

Just before final staging it was obvious the driver, Dwight Salisbury was having visor issues as the car got hotter and the fuel got lighter, starter Larry Sutton saw the issue, somewhat violently ripped the visor off, and Larry took his sunglasses off and put then on Dwight so he could make the run, he did, and got deep in the show.

Great stuff.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Short Track Announcer

Actually, I think it was at Lions that this happened. I could be wrong.... But I remember Larry Sutton doing that, don't remember the driver.

Larry was agreat starter and a Great guy. Once when we were still in Top Gas I was trying to get my wife to turn the idle down by twisting my finger counter clockwise after the Burn Out. She was having trouble & He walked over - took the wrench & screwdriver from her and adjusted it. I gave a thumbs up - so he goes back and stages us up. Don't remember who we were racing or who won, but they just looked and laughed.

Sutton did a lot of cool things like the sunglasses thing. Try doing that today! He was a racer so he knew what the drivers were going thru. He drove Top Fuel and had some good runs. Dang, I miss seeing him out there on the starting line. Bill Key was the ass't starter at Lions. Mark, where is that time machine? heh heh

Larry Sutton is one of my drag racing heroes for many reasons. Recently had a birthday! To work at Lions, what a deal. The huge number of days watching Larry do his starting line thing at Lions, Irwindale, and Orange County to name a few, throw in all his racing, that man has seen it and done it.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Short Track Announcer

You may enjoy this then
His story about driving a top fuel car at OCIR with a ruptured disc is good. I was there. I remember every time he got out of the car, be was very hunched over and limping to a chair with a cushion in it, and the relief on his face when he sat down. He also won that race.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back