Help! .p7m file extensions? (1 Viewer)

Jenn

Nitro Member
I know there are some computer saavy guys on here so here's hoping you can help. My boyfriend sends me movies from the military base and some of them come as "smime.p7m" and I cannot get them to open. It says that windows does not recognize this extension and please select what program to use.

His father told me it was a .wmv movie when he downloaded it but when I download it, it comes with that smime.p7m file name. My sister-in-law can open them, his dad can open them, but I can't. Any ideas?

It's an AOL address but I get the same response if I'm on MSN, and it doesn't matter which computer I am at. My work computer is XP, and my laptop is Vista.

That Crypto site says it doesn't have a digital signiture so I'm not sure if it's safe. :confused

If the same came to his family, etc..with no problems it would be ok.

If it makes you feel better..ask your boyfriend if he's the one that sent it..it should be cool, Jenn.

Let me know if that utility opens it for you.

If I recall correctly from years past..that MIME sh!t is AOL's garbage type stuff.

You're using AOL's server..so it won't matter what browser you're using..ie MSN, etc.

PS..you have my email Jenn..if you'd like..send it to me and I'll send it back in a way you can open it.

If the same came to his family, etc..with no problems it would be ok.

If it makes you feel better..ask your boyfriend if he's the one that sent it..it should be cool, Jenn.

Let me know if that utility opens it for you.

If I recall correctly from years past..that MIME sh!t is AOL's garbage type stuff.

You're using AOL's server..so it won't matter what browser you're using..ie MSN, etc.

PS..you have my email Jenn..if you'd like..send it to me and I'll send it back in a way you can open it.

I am starting to think that it's got something to do with outlook, as everybody who'd opened it, had outlook OR worked on a AF base.

The site you sent to me doesn't look like it's compatible with Vista and I just tried one of the UNM machines and it didn't work either. I'm gonna check with Staples or CC and see.

Try opening the file with Windows Media Player when it gives you the list of programs to choose from. It should download the key automatically before playing it for you. If that fails, here is a p7m viewer you can download that has a 30 day free trial.

p7mViewer - the viewer of files with File Extension p7m (smime.p7m)

SMIME has nothing to do with AOL or Outlook, SMIME is an encryption format that requires a 512 or 1024 bit key to decode. It is most commonly used to encrypt emails via a 3rd party application or plug-in, but if you are crafty, you can encrypt anything with SMIME.

Downloaded it, tried it, it locked up, said had a problem and needed to quit. It quit on me five times. I don't even have that bad of luck with my employees.

It doesn't say Vista on it's OS capabilities.

Anything else I might try?

Did you try it on the XP machine? I am just curious if the results are the same.

I guess you will have to go to your boyfriend's Dad's house to see it!!! ;)

Not yet, my desktop is XP, but I changed the password on the log-in information it appears that I've locked myself because I can't get the password straight. Smart huh?

So far so good

I downloaded Mozilla's Thunderbird and that seems to be opening every one of his files, the Mozilla I couldn't figure out how to download my AOL messages to it, so I set it up with my .edu address and had him send all the stuff there that he'd sent to me before and I couldn't open there.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back