Heart Like a Wheel (Connie was the precursor to Nitromater) (1 Viewer)

lmhb oyf

Nitro Member
Just watched it again for the first time in a long time today on HBO.

I had to laugh at how in the movie Connie complained back then about the NHRA, how it's run and the idiots at the top.

Seems like nothing's changed since the 60's. :D

If someday I heard that dialogue in the background not knowing that the movie was on I'd swear someone was reading posts on Nitromater out loud.

Funny stuff.

And rightfully so, that other guy took way too long to burnout and stage.
That other guy was Jody Smart. A pretty successful driver in his own right. Why didn`t Connie just wait to fire until after Jody had completed his burnout and was backing up? I`m sure he knew Jodys routine.

That other guy was Jody Smart. A pretty successful driver in his own right. Why didn`t Connie just wait to fire until after Jody had completed his burnout and was backing up? I`m sure he knew Jodys routine.

If you listen to the late, great Steve Evans he says the same exact thing... and I happen to agree with him. Don't get me wrong, I love Connie, but every team has data that tells them how long all the other teams take to start, burnout, backup and stage. Had he waited, his motor wouldn't have built up that much heat.

What I find interesting though is that Jody's car, despite the length of time he was running, didn't blow up.

Geez, watching that reminded me how much I liked Steve Evan's announcing, just the sound of his voice grabs you and gets you excited to watch some drag racing, I didn't want the video to end.

Paul T.
Power Technology

I know my buddy Phil from Florida has footage taped of this, and shows Connie Ranting and ravin all the way to the starting line in it's entirety.

side note: He also has the 1974 Summernationals Final of Al Segrini Vs Jungle Jim with the "Wheerlstand"

Same old story. Even back in the day when we were running Top Comp at Tulsa, I always waited for the alcohol cars to fire up and do their burnout before starting my gas engine. We didn't have radiators and if I waited around on the alcohol cars to do all of their showboating, my car was definitely going to burn up. It was far better for them to have to wait on me. They had to build heat in the motor anyway. I finally got smart and switched to alcohol.

I think Connie realized he did it to himself in the end. In all classes there are guys who take their sweet time. Just know your competition and run your own deal.....

You guys can't be referring to the same mild-mannered, intravert, Connie Kalitta that I know? :D I don't know how many racecar drivers actually talk (to themselves) in the cockpit under all that protective equipment in the heat of the moment in this kind of situation...... but I can make an educated guess as to what Mr. Kalitta was saying - and probably quite loudly - when he was pointing repeatedly up there. Probably a good thing he didn't make it to the shut down area to "shake hands" with the other driver after that one.

To this day, the best thing about seeing any of these classic "Connie Moments" to me, whether it was in person or on a video.... is when Scott was present. Scott always had the exact same look on his face no matter how mad his Dad was - whether it took place like way back in 1977 or like in in 2006 ........hilarious......

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back