Fond memories of Bennie The Bomb (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
Sorry this is a long read, but this is the only way I know how to come to grips with this. I honestly thought I would never log on here again, and stop following drag racing all together. How foolish. In the past few days we've seen just how many people Scott Kalitta touched in one way or another. So many great people literally around the globe. What an honor it is to be a part of it in some small way.
Other than maybe a few pro drivers, I honestly don't think I could pick anybody from this board out in a room fo people. But it's incredible how much love, support and enjoyment one can get out of it.

My heart is just broken for Scott's family and the entire Kalitta racing/flying organization. How can I look these people in the eye in 3 more weeks? God Bless every one of you. I love you guys more than you'll ever know. Scott's with his Mom and Uncle Doug now. I give thanks to God that I had the privledge to know him, the little that I did.

I was 6 or 7 years old, but my Mom & brother swears that on more than one occaision he played catch football with Scott in the pits at Motor City Dragway probably like ‘73 or so. We lived right down the road from there. We always went there or to Milan, or Detroit Dragway anytime the nitro cars came. Dad would always find Connie & shoot the breeze. My Dad knew Connie when they were both in High School. Infact Connie didn’t even have his drivers license yet. My dad was the hero of the group because he had his learners permit and could use my Grandpa’s ’55 Ford. On a Saturday night, they’d get the car and go pick up Connie & Doug Sr. at the propane place that Connie’s dad owned... then go cruising & street racing on Gratiot & the whole east side. My Dad got away from racing to start a family but always followed Connie’s racing closely. So that’s how my “Kalitta following” all got started – from MY dad.

Funny story about when Scott was doing double duty at the Motorplex, with Tim Ferrell as crew chief. I seem to recall Connie wasn’t at the race because he was still recovering from an earlier accident. I spent the whole day, watching them work the 2 cars. It was fun to eavesdrop on Tim & Scott, trying to make the tune up work, and joking that the old man would “string up Tim by his nuts” if something broke. I think the Oberhofer brothers were just coming on board back then. Good times.

In the mid 90’s, I worked at Dallas Airmotive. We did occaisional sublet engine work on some of the Trans-Con DC8’s, (the company which Scott was running at the time). I remember seeing checks & invoices come through which were approved and signed by him. I still work in aviation and we do business with Doug’s companies, so there’ll always be the “aviation” connection to the family for me as well.

Another good one that sticks out, is me talking with Scott, someone from Coors (his name I don’t remember) and Waterbed Fred here in the Denver pits, the year Scott ran the Coors Bandit. Jesse James was supposed to be at the race, but he was secretly getting married to Sandra Bullock that day. It was so funny, we were all standing there joking.... here it’s 100 degrees, everyone’s sweating like pigs, we got all this free beer from Coors, and NHRA won’t let us drink it; the crew’s working their asses off all weekend, all wearing Jesse’s colors and promoting West Coast Choppers like crazy. Then Scott said something like “Jesse’s the smartest one of us all – he’s in a penthouse somewhere on a beach in the air conditioning, getting laid and drinking Margaritas with one of the hottest chicks in the world, while all us idiots are out here ........What the hell’s wrong with this picture??” LOL

I remember Scott’s little tyke Colin, playing in the pits in Denver, might have been last year or the year before, playfully kicking a ball to me while I was standing there minding my own beeswax watching the guys work on the car. I smiled, and rolled it back to him, and he kicked it right back to me. Kathy came over and apologized; of course I said no problem, and rolled it back to him before he laughed and scurried away. He’s such a cutie. I asked Scott once, what “the plan” is for his older son, Corey (who was working as a parts cleaner on Scott’s car). Kind of like “the chosen one” in Star Wars….Scott just proudly smiled, and said “You never know; we’ll see what he wants to do.....”

Another time after he came back to racing, I was asking him how he liked Florida compared to beautiful Detroit. We talked about the Tampa area, which I’ve visited because I have family there. He highly recommended Paul’s Shrimp House in Palm Harbor and Hooters, and going to the sponge docks in Tarpon Springs. He also was the 1st person ever to recommend Honeymoon Island state park, and Caladesi Island.... which infact oddly enough, I just finally visited it a few weeks ago. Thanks Dude! You were right - it’s breathtaking – and it’s rated as the #1 beach in the USA!!

Scott liked to watch movies in the lounge between runs, especially on hot days. Each race I went to, I’d be sure and ask him what movie he’s watching today. I think that caught him by surprise sometimes. When I showed him and “AC” Bill Hochadel my tattoo last year, he smiled ear to ear and said, “that’s pretty damn cool, but what the F*** were you thinking?” He said I was “a Lifer”. We got a good laugh out of that conversation too.

Thanks for reading - Remember Scott's family in your prayers.

That was well worth the read. Some good chuckles in there, especially the Jesse James story. Thank you for sharing Chris.

Take care,

Michael

Quote from Chris "I honestly thought I would never log on here again, and stop following drag racing all together."

I know you were close to the Kalitta Team and this kind of expierence is not something any of us can imagine, but God had other plans for Scott that none of us understand. People will regain their strength by joining together and understanding why we call it Family either by blood relationship and friends. The drag racing family is a strong family too. Over the 40 years that I have been envolved in this sport it has been very evident whether it's just helping another racer, an on track accident or even when I lose another "family member" off the track. Being together as friends and family won't change things that happen but it certainly helps the healing.

Quote from Chris "Other than maybe a few pro drivers, I honestly don't think I could pick anybody from this board out in a room fo people."

Chris come look us up at the Mile Highs in two weeks. Would really like to meet you. Just so you know somebody from this board.

Chris, very good story that you shared.

It's staggering how many people were touched by this man. I got an email completley out of the blue from someone I never heard of in my life, a pilot named Bruce Dallinger at Delta Airlines, who's first flying job was with American International Airways.... and the day he walked in for his interview at AIA years ago, Scott Kalitta just happened to be in the lobby. Bruce doesn't know the 1st thing about drag racing - but he remembers that day like it was yesterday. It is such a privledge for us to have known Scott.

That is a nice post Chris, great stories and memories. As far as how to look to look them in they eye, just hug them and share the love. This is obviously a very difficult time for the Drag Racing family, but we will all get through it. When the news broke, one of the people I was worried about was you. Glad to see you are posting and staying in the sport. Honestly, I had similar thoughts about my future in Drag Racing. I seriously considered not driving anymore and putting my car and equipment up for sale. After a few days, I reconsidered. We'll all get through this.

Dave

That was a great read Chris. I'd recommend jumping at the opportunity to meet some of the people who are regulars on here. Personally, I have forged some terrific friendships with Greg Rice, Paul Rogers, Justin League, Kelly Holmes, just to name a few. When I first met Greg at last year's Vegas2 event, he needed a place to stay for the night. I volunteered the extra bed at our hotel which he gladly took. When I told my wife we were having a guest for the night, she was kinda like "how do we know he's okay?". I just said, "Because he's a drag racing fan and he's 'my people'." Now, when I go off to a race somewhere, I'm teased by wife (lovingly I might add) about hanging out with my people.

Chris:

I remember last year, thursday evening before the mile high's, I took my Two New (AND HOT LOOKING;)) Friends from Boston on the Coors brewery tour. When we got to the tasting room, the entire Kalitta Motorsports team was sitting in the back corner, (TASTING) some of Colorado's Finest....I walked up to the boyz and we had a few "FREE BEERS" and had some great conversation. After that, the block party started, and so did the other activities! We all met up at the Grizzley Rose, the bar on the main street for a few more laughs and ADULT BEVERAGES! The Technicoat Cowboys were there, as was the majority of the team. It was a very fond memory... and one that I believe the two of us, and anyone else who'd like to come should continue!!!

I think we should all meet up at the Grizzley Rose @ 7pm, during the Mopar Block Party Thursday night before the Race for a Celebration of Scott's life! I'm gonna find a way to meet ya, if I have to drive down to Parker and Stalk ya... And drag your A## to the track! But, this would be the right kind of place to hold this event. It's big enough, it's around the racing community, and I'm sure when word gets out that we are doing that, a few of the boys signing autographs will stop by for a cold beverage as well! Heck, maybe we can even get a guest appearance from Alan Reinhart there, and you can meet him, (ALTHOUGH HE ONLY DRINKS BUDWEISER... THE OFFICIAL BEER OF THE NHRA), which the Rose Serves... ;)

Either way, Chris, this group of people on Nitromater are a close nit FAMILY! The people who have so much passion for our sport that they spend HOURS a DAY trying to get their nitro fix. Attending a race with guys like Chris Cook, Mark Krogen, Joe Sherwood (with Eye Candy Detection Devise in hand), Chris Schoen, Paul Flores, Paul "the soon to be wearing a girls dress" Rogers, and so many more that I can't wait to meet like you and Chris Andrews, Denny Johnson and his family, and FINALLY JENN JARAMILLO for REALZ...oh and some dude named Bobby Bennett...:rolleyes: IS UNBELIEVABLE!!! I thought that I knew EVERYTHING about drag racing, before Vegas 2 last year... OMG was I mistaken! I learned so much from these MATERS.. and do everyday. My text messages are full with "Hey Timmah what's happenin?" from Eric Howell, John Rogers, Ginna Torres, Paul Miller, Jenn Jaramillo, and some stalker named Jessica Murry!!!( Everyone I have never met in person!!!) I even heard a rumor that I might get a phone call from KARL 'Da kid' Stalcup some day!

But, we all share the same passion, THIS SPORT! When a tragic event like this occures, we find comfort with our "FAMILY". My God, Chris, you should have seen the chat room on Saturday afternoon! Filled to capacity with people who were waiting, SILENTLY... for some info... anything! When we heard the horrible news, most of us just took some time to reflect. John Rogers and I talked for 5 hours, the next day, Paul Miller and I had a drink, (or a few) for "Eddie" via the cell phone and 2000 miles! We have become friends, BEST OF FRIENDS, because of this place. And i'd be honored for you to join us at the races in two weeks. Come be a part of the Network! Come share some memories, a few drinks, (heck they even sell Diet Mt Dew at this joint, so we might get Bobby Bennett there...!) and some great memories....

Timmah!
303-249-5933.... I proudly post my number publicly for Any Maters to call! If you love the sport of Drag Racing, I'm your huckleberry!

Oh and PS CHRIS.... If you show up to the party on thursday, I'll even let you hold the INFAMOUS "TIMMAH IN TOP FUEL 2010" Sign... that has actually been autographed by none other than FAST JACK BECKMAN, and held by this NITROMATER LEGEND, (and Current Top Fuel Kick A## Driver) Antron Brown!

ABrownwithTimmahsign2.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back