Hardest class in NHRA? (1 Viewer)

You can't leave out my old friend George Marnell.......... He beat me on a huge hole shot at at World finals in the late 1990's.

Merry Christmas to All !!!!!!!!

PS.. according to Toni... George also won Memphis the year I had my heart issue (2001) and was No 1 Qualifier, but had to spend Sunday in the ICU hospital.

Bret Kepner said he confirmed with Stat Guy L. Bloom and the answer is 52. 650 races and only 52 guys have won one. And think, the top 5 guys own half of them. WJ 97, Glidden 85, Anderson 65, Jeggie 52, Kurt 39 equates to 338 wins.

Here's a link to the top 25 incase your curious:

NHRA Career Records Database

You can't leave out my old friend George Marnell.......... He beat me on a huge hole shot at at World finals in the late 1990's.

PS.. according to Toni... George also won Memphis the year I had my heart issue (2001) and was No 1 Qualifier, but had to spend Sunday in the ICU hospital.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, hope to see you back out there someday.

AND Kevin Rotty? that's one I had forgotten about......but thanks to the net.
"Jack Manchester was a Pro Stock racer from both sides of the fence as an owner and driver. Jack now is best known for owning the car in which Kevin Rotty set a national record at 8.49 and was runner up at Pomona that year."

"Ronnie" Manchester?

Amazing. That's the race I have in the vcr and was watching last night. That was actually George's first final and win, beating Mark Pawuk. Also the first race since 9-11. Weird to see Ricky Smith in the 2nd Splitfire Grand Am.

Last edited:
remember the Hornet with booth. i think he's won a half dozen or so times !!

Thank you!

Hardest to watch? Easy, "Super" Comp.

Hardest in which to compete? Whatever one you're in! Watching the top flight competitors, there is no easy class - and, yes, even "Super" Comp is tough.

Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Ed

Hey guys, most of you don't know this but when the dot.com boys had loads of dough, they had about 40 Pro Stock Teams in Scandinavia and these guys had teams as professional as over here. We have Tommi Laine who was multi year champ over here and he worked for Glidden, Schmidt, Hammonds, Stanfield, and the Indicom Electric Team. Everywhere he goes, the car goes fast.

Yates was really tight with a lot of Finns/Swedes/Norwegians and used to sell them a lot of parts.

If "hardest" means tightest racing, it's hard to argue against PS. You have whole fields separated by less than the difference between the top few in the fuel classes.

If "hardest" means trickiest, then I think it's PS as well. Asked Frank Hawley when I was in his class, "is there any class you wouldn't drive?" He quickly answered PS. With zero downforce, it's like skating. Way too easy to end up on the roof.

If "hardest" means toughest to win, I'd say Super Comp. Close racing with MOVs in the 10,000ths, RT expectations beyond sanity, amazing drivers who can race you at the stripe at 175+, and people who've been doing it for decades. I know you all will pooh-pooh it, but it's why Shawn Langdon, Jack Beckman and others are such good racers, years in SC.

If "hardest" means most difficult to watch, I'd say PSB. Just can't get my head around that one. :)

My $0.02,
Chris

Im with Chris but id say supergas is a bit harder... car takes a bit more driving. Shifting a P/S on time pass after pass... SUPER hard!

AND Kevin Rotty? that's one I had forgotten about......but thanks to the net.
"Jack Manchester was a Pro Stock racer from both sides of the fence as an owner and driver. Jack now is best known for owning the car in which Kevin Rotty set a national record at 8.49 and was runner up at Pomona that year."

Sorry to hear Kevin passed this week in Tucson from a heart attack at age 67

555 8.430 161.57 Kevin Rotty Jack Manchester Chev 79 Camaro PRO AZ 1980

R.I.P.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back