Hardest class in NHRA? (1 Viewer)

Joker

Nitro Member
I was listening to the ADRL LIVE radio show last night and they were talking about the hardest class to race, etc and how money always rises to the top and then they asked this question and it surprised me.

In NHRA Pro Stock, there have been 650 pro races. How many different winners do you think there have been? Dont look it up, just guess.

There have been less than 100 different winners in NHRA Pro Stock. I didn't look this up, it's just a guess. Pro Stock is by far the hardest class in the NHRA, in my opinion. Reason? Because in the Fuel classes, it's entirely possible (albeit RARE) for an underdog (i.e. UNDERFUNDED) team to make it to the final round due to his/her opponent breaking/smoking the tires/tossing a blower belt, etc. In Pro Stock, these cars more often than not make it down the track under power. Most of their setups are so precise that the car (depending on the conditions) is usually within a couple of hundredths of it's last pass, thus making it more of a driver's race.

I was listening to the ADRL LIVE radio show last night and they were talking about the hardest class to race, etc and how money always rises to the top and then they asked this question and it surprised me.

In NHRA Pro Stock, there have been 650 pro races. How many different winners do you think there have been? Dont look it up, just guess.

I'll take a stab at of the top of my head...Ronnie Sox, Bill Jenkins, Bob Glidden, Kevin Rotty, Warren Johnson, Lee Shepard, Frank Iaconio, Larry Lombardo, Larry Morgan, Lewis Wordan, Don Nicholson, Bruce Allen, Jeg Coughlin Jr, Shane Gray, Greg Anderson, Jason Line, Darrell Alderman, Mike Edwards, Ron Krisher, Dave Connolly, Jim Yates, Don Carlton and Don Beverly....I sure I missed a few...but that's 23, so the answer is...not a lot!

Tom Martino, Ritchie Stevens, Scott Geoffrion (totally murdered that spelling), Jerry Eckman....just to add a few more..

And y'all know how I feel about 'Gas Floppers'

edit...
Did Double E ever win one?

Last edited:
Greg Stanfield, Joe Lepone Jr., Butch Leal, Mark Pawuk.................

My guess is near 75 total winners...............

I'll take a stab at of the top of my head...Ronnie Sox, Bill Jenkins, Bob Glidden, Kevin Rotty, Warren Johnson, Lee Shepard, Frank Iaconio, Larry Lombardo, Larry Morgan, Lewis Wordan, Don Nicholson, Bruce Allen, Jeg Coughlin Jr, Shane Gray, Greg Anderson, Jason Line, Darrell Alderman, Mike Edwards, Ron Krisher, Dave Connolly, Jim Yates, Don Carlton and Don Beverly....I sure I missed a few...but that's 23, so the answer is...not a lot!

Mike Fons (71 World Champ)

Not sure if Lewis Worden ever got a wally, I know he was runner up at the Nationals one year

tb

Last edited:
If "hardest" means tightest racing, it's hard to argue against PS. You have whole fields separated by less than the difference between the top few in the fuel classes.

If "hardest" means trickiest, then I think it's PS as well. Asked Frank Hawley when I was in his class, "is there any class you wouldn't drive?" He quickly answered PS. With zero downforce, it's like skating. Way too easy to end up on the roof.

If "hardest" means toughest to win, I'd say Super Comp. Close racing with MOVs in the 10,000ths, RT expectations beyond sanity, amazing drivers who can race you at the stripe at 175+, and people who've been doing it for decades. I know you all will pooh-pooh it, but it's why Shawn Langdon, Jack Beckman and others are such good racers, years in SC.

If "hardest" means most difficult to watch, I'd say PSB. Just can't get my head around that one. :)

My $0.02,
Chris

Mike Fons (71 World Champ)

Not sure if Lewis Worden ever got a wally, I know he was runner up at the Nationals one year

tb

AND Kevin Rotty? that's one I had forgotten about......but thanks to the net.
"Jack Manchester was a Pro Stock racer from both sides of the fence as an owner and driver. Jack now is best known for owning the car in which Kevin Rotty set a national record at 8.49 and was runner up at Pomona that year."

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back