Hall of Fame NHRA Pro Stock driver Bob Glidden passes away (1 Viewer)

My JR year in High school I got a new 1971 Pinto. Because of the Glidden & Allen Pinto
That summer it had a 289/C4 9" rear-end in it.

bobandetta.png

I always hated the Fords he drove but man that guy knew how to race, back when Pro Stock was really Pro Stock and not just a battle of billionaires all driving the same cars. So glad I grew up in the beginning of Pro Stock, That's when Pro Stock was just as exciting as nitro racing! And if you weren't there back then you have no idea what you missed! Rest in Peace Bob!

This one hurts. I was raised in a house that loved dorrslammers, and we were raised to love Pro Stock in general and Bob Glidden in particular (my Dad still is a Ford man). Sending my deepest condolences to the entire Glidden family.

Damn! This one has me truly bummed. :(

Never been big of Fords, but was always a fan of Bob's.

Waaaay, back in the early days of Brainerd, I spotted him coming back to the pits on the return road. (They were still driving the cars back to the pits from the top end. That shows you how long ago this was.) I raised my camera up and waited for him to pass by me to get a pic. He spotted me, clicked it off, came to a stop and waited until I'd taken as many photos as I wanted. When I was done, I shook his hand, and we talked for a minute. Genuinely a nice guy.

RIP Bob. You WILL be missed!

I'm starting to feel old...

I can't remember the exact quote but I remember there was a interview once where they were asking him about his success with fords and his short stint back in the day with the Plymouth.

Not the exact quote but he said something like "The engine doesn't know what brand it is, the same way of doing things applies". Or something like that.

I always hated the Fords he drove but man that guy knew how to race, back when Pro Stock was really Pro Stock and not just a battle of billionaires all driving the same cars. So glad I grew up in the beginning of Pro Stock, That's when Pro Stock was just as exciting as nitro racing! And if you weren't there back then you have no idea what you missed! Rest in Peace Bob!

I was a big pro stock fan when the class first started. The fact that one of Grumpy's Vegas sold for $577,500 all in at the Barrett Jackson auction shows that fans of the class remember when it was something special. I don't think I've seen any race car in any class or type of racing get that much money for a 40+ year old race car.

Barrett07010.jpg

Bob has been my Hero for as long as I can remember, rest in peace and my condolences and prayers to your family and close friends

Antron Brown quote said it best "Bob show all of us how to do it right! Work hard! Work harder! Work even more harder! Glad to have learned for the very best at it! God Speed Pro stock master!"
Rest in peace Mr. Bob Glidden.

I was lucky to witness drag racing in the 70s and 80s. I got to see some of those EPIC battles between Bob and Lee Shepherd. Will never forget them.
Those two have a lot in common. Both incredible machinists and drivers as well.

I guess now they get to race again.

RIP MadDog!

What a Racer!! It amazes me that the drivers I used to pull against the most in my youth are the ones that garner my respect and admiration as an old man.

God, how I hate hearing this. The greats are going. Grumpy, Dyno, Akron Arlen, now Glidden. Remember when his boys were younger, packing chutes and sprinkling baby powder in so they would deploy easier.....then more powder....then more....then....POOF! You couldn't see the car for all the powder in the air! Hard working, true racing family. Condolences to all. Dread the day Big Daddy goes...

Bob Glidden was definitely a racers racer, ran mostly a family operation. He was one of a kind as far as what he accomplished.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back