Hall of Fame NHRA Pro Stock driver Bob Glidden passes away (1 Viewer)

That is the best description of Bob Glidden I've seen yet. It perfectly matches my impression of him from being on teams that raced against him, writing about him, and being present at conversations he was having with other racers.

Yes, he was a tireless worker but we're selling him short if we leave it at that. You have to respect the man's brain and hands. 99.9% of the rest of the world could not have accomplished what he did even if they put in as many hours.

Unfortunately, WJ cannot just be graceful and convey the total respect that Bob Glidden deserves without injecting how HE worked just as hard and how HE came up the same way, etc, etc. This is about Glidden not you WJ. Could not even watch the entire clip....

Theres been many of them but Bob was without question the hardest worker I have ever seen in the sport.

Unfortunately, WJ cannot just be graceful and convey the total respect that Bob Glidden deserves without injecting how HE worked just as hard and how HE came up the same way, etc, etc. This is about Glidden not you WJ. Could not even watch the entire clip....
I think you're mis-interpreting WJ's response. He was relating the era he and Glidden came from; in which they were fierce competitors; compared to today's environment and Bob's impact on NHRA through his work ethic and dedication to success. I've watched it a couple of times and never came away with the impression WJ was being disrespectful.

Did Bob keep any of his old cars?
No

I think you're mis-interpreting WJ's response. He was relating the era he and Glidden came from; in which they were fierce competitors; compared to today's environment and Bob's impact on NHRA through his work ethic and dedication to success. I've watched it a couple of times and never came away with the impression WJ was being disrespectful.

I actually got the same feeling as Joe when I watched the clip. I wouldn't say he was being "disrespectful", Keith, but he definitely came off like it was difficult for him to compliment him without throwing something in about himself, and it was clear (to me, anyway) that Lewis was looking for a complimentary response to a certain number of those questions.

Sean D

I've been a fierce WJ critic over the years and I didn't really feel like he was coming across that way!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back