Gilbertson Looking For Win At Reading (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
GILBERTSON LOOKING FOR WIN AT READING

Reading, prerace: - Buoyed by his performance last weekend at New England Dragway where he won the race, qualified number one and set both ends of the track record, Bob Gilbertson is chomping at the bit as he and his Autolite/Prestone nitro Funny Car team can't wait to get to Maple Grove Raceway for the Toyo Tires NHRA Nationals.

Traditionally one of the fastest tracks on the NHRA circuit due to the cooler temperatures and great atmospheric conditions, Gilbertson is hoping for some big numbers this weekend.

"Maple Grove has always produced mine-shaft conditions and we just can't wait to get on track and see if we can make some noise," Gilbertson said. "We really learned a lot up in New Hampshire this past weekend where the conditions were similar to what we'll face this weekend and I'm confident that we're on the right track and we should be in the thick of things, hopefully we'll be a spoiler in the points chase and we're looking to move our way up in the points standings."

Gilbertson's co-crew chief Nicky Boninfante Jr. is equally confident about their chances at his home track as he lives in near-by Chadds Ford, Penn.

"This is my home track, I grew up at Maple Grove and I'll have a lot of family and friends there and I want to make this car thunder," Boninfante added. "We'll take what we learned last weekend and apply it to the tune-up and hopefully we'll be able to run 4.70s, go some rounds and maybe even win the race. I know it's a pretty big goal but our performance last weekend gives us confidence and momentum is on our side."

TELEVISION SCHEDULE:

Saturday, September 16th Qualifying 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM ET (ESPN2)

Sunday, September 17th Eliminations 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM ET (ESPN2)

I hope that Gilby did not damage that newly painted Jungle Jim Stratus at the race in Epping. I heard he hit a cone during qualifying and it was a top end cone so was running close to 300 MPH most likely, and then on the Final round he blew the engine in the lights which brought back thoughts of Al Hoffmans top end explosion and crash at the GatorNationals many years ago where in both cases, their opponeny red lit I believe. Both racers ran it through all the way, when they did not have to. Maybe Gilby didn't see the red light for Paul Lee in his race, and my memory might be a little foggy now on Al's top end crash, but I felt bad in both cases, but proud that they put on a show for the fans.

I hope that Gilby did not damage that newly painted Jungle Jim Stratus at the race in Epping. I heard he hit a cone during qualifying and it was a top end cone so was running close to 300 MPH most likely, and then on the Final round he blew the engine in the lights which brought back thoughts of Al Hoffmans top end explosion and crash at the GatorNationals many years ago where in both cases, their opponeny red lit I believe. Both racers ran it through all the way, when they did not have to. Maybe Gilby didn't see the red light for Paul Lee in his race, and my memory might be a little foggy now on Al's top end crash, but I felt bad in both cases, but proud that they put on a show for the fans.

Gilby did break the body a little, not sure on the repairability of it for Reading. He did a stellar job driving that car after the boomer though.....unlike Hofmann, his car stayed together when it happened.

Gilby did break the body a little, not sure on the repairability of it for Reading. He did a stellar job driving that car after the boomer though.....unlike Hofmann, his car stayed together when it happened.

In his BLOG on NHRA.com Berzerko Bob said it was damaged so he will have to send it to be repaired.

The car did get some damage but not to worry. It will be fixed and looking beautiful again!

The Monte Carlo Body is on it's way to The Grove as we speak. The Jungle tribute car is being picked up and brought out to Indy for repair and will be ready to go for the next race they go to, either Canada or Texas...

Good luck Gilby & the crew!

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back