Frank Pedregon to drive Gilbertson's flopper at Va. rain delayed race (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
FRANK PEDREGON TO DRIVE FOR GILBERTSON IN VIRGINIA

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- When the Torco Racing Fuels NHRA Nationals were rained out and re-scheduled for this weekend, nitro Funny Car racer Bob Gilbertson had a big decision to make.

Gilbertson was scheduled to fly to Las Vegas with his family for this weekend's U.S. Open of SuperCross to support his son Jake and the rest of the Trick Tank Moto-X team at their biggest race of the year. He desperately wanted to be there for his son but also had to be across the country at Virginia Motorsports Park to race his Autolite XP Spark Plugs Funny Car to fulfill sponsor commitments.

After checking the rules about substitute drivers and finding out that he could put another driver in the car, the search was on for somebody to fill the seat allowing Gilbertson to go to Las Vegas for his son.

A lot of names were put on the list and the choice was made to put Frank Pedregon, who seemed to be a good fit with the team and the sponsor and was willing to help Gilbertson out, in the car for the weekend.

"I did a lot of soul searching the past few days," Gilbertson said. "I've had plane tickets and hotel rooms for the SuperCross since February and I didn't want to disappoint Jake so I made the decision to let somebody else drive the car in Virginia. Family is more important than drag racing any day and I want to be with my son more than I want to drive the Funny Car. Three other drivers have been in my car during testing the past year, J.R. Todd, Ron Capps and Del Worsham have all made laps in the Autolite car and Frank will be the fourth. I'm confident that he'll do a good job, he's a past champion and can get a car down the track under any situation. It's the first time anybody but me has driven the car in competition so it will be a little weird watching the ESPN TV coverage, hopefully he'll do well and bring the car back in one piece."

Pedregon was surprised and excited when he got the call Tuesday.

"I was stunned when I answered the phone and Bob was on the other end asking me to drive his car," Pedregon added. "I haven't driven in the past six months or so as I've been working on getting funding for my own team for next year and this opportunity to drive, even for just one race, will help keep my name out there. I'm very happy that he had the confidence in me and my driving ability and picked me over all the other candidates for the ride. Bob's got a good car and I'm sure his co-crew chiefs, Nicky (Boninfante) and Tommy (Delago) will give me a car that I can do well in and hopefully go some rounds."

You can bet that Gilbertson's cell phone will get a workout this weekend as he juggles running both of his race teams on the same day. Jake races in two different classes (65cc & 85cc) Sunday while at the same time Pedregon will be wheeling the Autolite Dodge in eliminations, hopefully both teams will score big to make this all worth while for Gilbertson.

DRAG RACING TELEVISION SCHEDULE:

Sunday, Oct. 15th Qualifying/Eliminations 7:00 PM - 9:30 PM ET (ESPN2)

U.S. OPEN MOTOCROSS TELEVISION SCHEDULE:

Saturday, October 21st Finals 1:30 PM - 3:00 PM ET (CBS Sports)

I'ts great for Frank

But it's too bad the mater fav. Dean Skuza isn't current. That really would of been
a shocker to see him come back for one race at least.

Or Scotty Cannon.

But it's great for Frank also.

I guess he had a problem with Bazemore?
Who had the problem with Baze, Cannon or Frank? I'm assuming Cannon since they were teammates. But whats new with Baze. Everyone seems to have issues with him. I wonder how Baze and Hot Rod will get along. Baze better watch out with Hot Rod, he may be short but he damn sure is stocky. I bet he could pack a pretty hard blow.:D

With Bazemore, the issue I would see is that he is still under contract with Schumacher, Shoe only released him of his duties, but honored the contract, paying him for the rest of the year.

The way I understand it from what I have read from Whit, is that he could drive another car this year, but that would result in him not being paid out by Shoe.

could be more than just pay for 3 races. could be a weekly paycheck with benifits till the end of december.

Anybody know what happened to this deal:confused: I must have missed something cause I never seen any mention about it on the show.:confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back