Fram Racing Oil Filter Recall (1 Viewer)

Just be sure if you use the System 1 when you go to clean it the only true way to clean it is with a sonic cleaner. Quite a few of our customers would clean them the old fashioned way from the inside out with solvent. Basically what happened was that it just compacted the stuff in the filter, thus in turn "plugging" it up. Yes we had some customers that burnt engines down because of it. We sonic cleaned them from there on out and "knock on wood" the guys that still run that set up haven't had a failure since.

I have been cleaning my with brake clean and air for 10 years same one 3 diff motors..and the first motor hurt itself. I had to clean real well on that one.. I not sure I can fall for that one..???

I think Fram is getting a bad rap on this bad filter deal.
I have read all of the other threads on Fram did this and that and so on.
Most of those threads do not state if it was an HP filter or the stock PF style.
Like Bobby Miller stated he used a PH13 (I believe) and he had very little oil pressure on his new engine. changed to System one and every thing was OK.
This recall may be for a very valid reason determind by Fram. But seems like most of these negitive Fram threads have perhaps been comparing apples to oranges???
Here is my first hand experience with Fram filters. I have used Fram HP4's since as far back as I can remember. I have raced since 1969. I do not remember exactly when I started using them but it was quite a while back.
I have never had a filter problem until I used a PH13(stocker) on a brand new engine. I used the PH because it was cheaper.
I have always broken in new engines with a warm up, rerun the valves, a couple more warm ups and cool down cycles and then head for the track.
I would make a half pass on the race car, remove the filter and cut it open. After verifying oil filter was void of any foreign material I would add a new filter and go race.
When I used the PH13, by the time I had gone through several warm up and cool cycles I had a major loss of oil pressure.
I panicked and pulled the engine. After complete disassembly and finding every thing to be pristine I cut open the oil filter. To my surprise it was full of minute particles of rag lint.(plugged up!)
since the oil filter is before the oil pressure gauge, the plugged filter causes the loss of oil pressure.
After doing a little bit of reading I discovered the HP race filters do not filter for small particles like there PH filter does.
Fram figured that racers would be more vigilante about oil and filter changes than john Q public would be in the family sedan.
Smaller micron filtering for the street, a little bit larger for the race car which allows more volume as well.
So if you have a race car, run the HP Fram. If you have a street vehicle, run the PF.
sorry for the long post.
Just my $.02

Last edited:
Bruce, there's something else about a valve or back-flow design in the HP4 that's not in the PH13. Fram is phasing out the PH13 alltogether as a result of this valve. That was our problem. We run the HP4 on most of our bracket stuff and boats but the System One on the bigger HP engines.

As I understand this recall, it's strictly for the rubber/neoprene gasket failing to seal. That's it! I just returned 9 of them back to my supplier and they are working on returning the updated HP4s to me. I'll gladly use these filters as I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever using the HP4 Frams.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back