Fram Racing Oil Filter Recall (1 Viewer)

Buddy

Nitro Member
I normally wouldn't have posted this thinking it wasn't going to really affect anyone but I checked my shop and 4 of the 6 filters I had were in the saftey recall... So I thought if the majority of mine were bad, some of you may have at least one that needs to be sent back... If you race an HP4 or HP8 Fram Racing Oil Filter you should check it to be sure...

Here is their recall:

Honeywell is recalling FRAM Racing HP4 and HP8 oil Filters that were manufactured from May 25, 2006 through September 14, 2007. The affected filters are marked with a date code A61451 through A72571 sequentially. The date code and part number appear on the filter housing (in small black text above "Fram"). FRAM Racing HP4 and HP8 oil Filters not bearing a date code in this range are not affected by this recall.

The gasket of the oil filter becomes more pliable under high temperatures and pressures. This condition may cause inadequate sealing and loss of engine oil.

If you own the affected product, please return it to the retailer or installer from whom you purchased the filter for a refund.

Questions? Call 1-800-890-2075 (option 1).

Safety First,
CJ Curtsinger

So what if it pissed all oil out and lost oil pressure at last race pulled heads off thats it figured oil pan gasket have'nt researched to deep yet but might be filter. It is a recalled one,think I got a case for engine parts anyone. Thanks

Last edited:
So what if it pissed all oil out and lost oil pressure at last race pulled heads off thats it figured oil pan gasket have'nt researched to deep yet but might be filter. It is a recalled one,think I got a case for engine parts anyone. Thanks
All you need is three things:
Better lawyers than Honeywell/Fram
Iron-clad proof of the gasket failure being fram's fault
A judge that understands mechanical information

I give you a 3-5% chance of winning that one.

Reminds me of people calling in to Bruce Williams' show. They'll be talking about some "serious problem" in which they were wronged. Finally, he'll ask "How much are we talking here?" The caller will say "$200." Then he goes through the explanation of the definition of the word "pragmatic." :D

So what you're saying is i got better odds winning indy this year and getting on the cover of nat dragster more times than fletcher?

I just came in from the shop and found that our stock of these filters all qualify for the recall including the one on the little Spitzer dragster. Maybe I should just stop living in the past and listen to my sons Buzzz and Paul and run a System One like they do and drop these disposable spin-on filters altogether. When we initially fired this engine, it had a Fram PH13 and we had nearly no oil pressure at all. We immediately put a System One on it and Wallah! Immediate oil pressure across the board. Genius me changed the oil and went back to the HP4 Racing filter only to now find they have been recalled.
Something about old dogs?????

So what you're saying is i got better odds winning indy this year and getting on the cover of nat dragster more times than fletcher?

We should start a poll. Which of the three would you say Chris has a better chance of getting? :D

Seriously, I and I know everyone else just hopes that nobody gets hurt and/or loses a race car over that. Sheez! I may have some on the shelf from that far back!

Last edited:
I am hoping mine isnt one... Just put a fresh oil change in November and havent run the car... Not cheap oil either. It is better to know for sure tha hurt something though.

From the speed of the responses this evening, it's clearly apparent that we need a Chat Board here on the Mater again.

You fram users make sure to turn a new filter upside down and shake it real good.
The little metal discs that get punched out somethimes hang and fall into the filter itself.

I just came in from the shop and found that our stock of these filters all qualify for the recall including the one on the little Spitzer dragster. Maybe I should just stop living in the past and listen to my sons Buzzz and Paul and run a System One like they do and drop these disposable spin-on filters altogether. When we initially fired this engine, it had a Fram PH13 and we had nearly no oil pressure at all. We immediately put a System One on it and Wallah! Immediate oil pressure across the board. Genius me changed the oil and went back to the HP4 Racing filter only to now find they have been recalled.
Something about old dogs?????

Just be sure if you use the System 1 when you go to clean it the only true way to clean it is with a sonic cleaner. Quite a few of our customers would clean them the old fashioned way from the inside out with solvent. Basically what happened was that it just compacted the stuff in the filter, thus in turn "plugging" it up. Yes we had some customers that burnt engines down because of it. We sonic cleaned them from there on out and "knock on wood" the guys that still run that set up haven't had a failure since.

You fram users make sure to turn a new filter upside down and shake it real good.
The little metal discs that get punched out somethimes hang and fall into the filter itself.
No FRAM stuff here.
thumb.gif

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back