ford fuel motor (1 Viewer)

Supposedly it uses 351W or 460 sized main bearings (3").
NHRA really limits them by the rules.

What upsets me as a Ford guy is that the Fords in racing are mostly still production based. The roundy-round 351's actually share major components with engines Ford put in cars. You can take the valve covers off a current Roush stock car and bolt them to your 78 Bronco's 351M or your 71 Mustang. Try that with the Chev, Mopar and Toyota.

Every other brand in Pro Stock copied the Ford's 4.9" bore spacing , some of the IHRA GM cars used an AR block which is a Boss 429 block machined to take the GM heads. Again the Fords were the only engine really resembling anything factory built.

Its as much a Ford as the other one is a Chry Hemi

actually, as i posted, mag drive, oil pump, gear drives, oil pan and valve covers will work off a 426 right to a kb or brad . only difference on geardrive is if it has a raised cam. i wander if the "ford" motor still uses the chrysler firing order.

See 2008 rule book pp 253 thru top of 256... it's not "don't think outside the box", it's "This is the box you will use." I thought this sport was based on being innovative, building a better mouse trap... :confused:

d'kid

Karl, that thinking ended years ago in the attempt to control costs. Worked really well, huh?

Karl, that thinking ended years ago in the attempt to control costs. Worked really well, huh?

Maybe that's being set in my ways.... I think when Ed Donovan came out with the 417 and Milodon <sp> came out with the first 426 clone a lot of the "Big Names" said it would drive the cost of fuel racing out of reach... $5000 for a Nitro motor ready to run???? (coming from the same guys drive Mark III & IV, and Eldorados)... Sorry, but 'Speed Costs Money, How Fast Do YOU Want To Go?' In all honesty, No one can afford to play on their own.

But does it cost any more to machine an aluminum bock with 4.9" Bore centers, or 5.65 Cam/crank center? Heads? same thing...

Where is the Cost savings?

Just me venting again....

d' county kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back