Ford Fuel Motor (1 Viewer)

On a somewhat (un?)-related topic, whatever became of the McGee twin-cam fuel motor? I believe that Gary Beck tested/raced it for a while but didn't really hear how it did. Why can't we have some more modern engine technology in drag racing?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We're a Major League sport, with a sand lot mentality

d'kid

The McGee motor was a dual overhead cam, 4 valve per cylinder design. It used the traditional Hemi short block with the high tech stuff on top. Bernstein/Armstrong tested it at length in the mid-to-late 80's (pre-Buick days).

The Sainty is a different project all together. It is a pushrod three valve not very much removed from the current SOHC Ford 4.6L engines in the Mustang, F-series, and E-series.

Lest we forget that Ford tried to re-introduce the Boss 429 to nitro racing in the mid-80's. Billy Meyer did a bunch of on-track testing with a version of the motor and instantly exposed the weaknesses of the availability of good block designs of the day. That little experiment brought us the now prohibited three magneto set-up that Meyer and a few others ran on their Hemis for about a season.

Trivia...who was the owner and who was the driver of the last true Ford-powered nitro car to qualify at an NHRA national event?

Mark got the owner right. If memory serves they qualified at Indy with a "hired" driver the last season they fought the good fight with the Shotgun motor. The car carried the #2 on the wing based on the driver's points position from the previous year.

I could be wrong on this but I was still a teenager when Chuck was running the Ford motor.

On a somewhat (un?)-related topic, whatever became of the McGee twin-cam fuel motor?

I don't know how many of them they had but I saw one of them that was driven by Robert Reehl at the Speedzone in LA (I think it used to be called the Malibu Speedpark or Malibu Gran Prix) when we were on vacation this year. Looks like it has been there awhile. It is right inside the main building.

Trivia...who was the owner and who was the driver of the last true Ford-powered nitro car to qualify at an NHRA national event?[/QUOTE]

A SWAG . . . Connie?

Trivia...who was the owner and who was the driver of the last true Ford-powered nitro car to qualify at an NHRA national event?

A SWAG . . . Connie?[/QUOTE]

For Top Fuel, I will guess Pete Robinson at the 71 Winternationals (unfortunately his last race). Not sure about FC.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back