ford fuel motor (1 Viewer)

handsome

Nitro Member
i looked at the so called ford fuel motor and i am disapointed . all the waisted press and preaching about the all new motor from ford and john force racing amounts to nothing more than someone placing a ford emblem on a couple pieces and saying "look a true ford motor on nitro". i looked at it real close at the pri show and everything from the billet block to the gear drive , valve covers , oil pump, mag drive and heads all are exact copies if not actual hemi stuff. its just like when the mopar pro stocks were running blocks with GM part numbers. if you want to see a true ford motor on fuel, go to garlits' museum and look at kalitta's front motor fueler.

I don't have a new rulebook yet but heard something interseting about it.
I heard that under the Fuel Engine Requirments & Specifications there is no longer wording about the Max 4.80 Bore Spacing. Have they caved in for Force ??? Or is it still the same...??

Bruce,

As you well know, what looks on same on the outside the same ain't necessary the same, especially when it comes to blocks.

I don't have a new rulebook yet but heard something interseting about it.
I heard that under the Fuel Engine Requirments & Specifications there is no longer wording about the Max 4.80 Bore Spacing. Have they caved in for Force ??? Or is it still the same...??

The new rule book still says "maximum bore center spacing 4.800 inches". Page 253 for funny car and page 265 for top fuel.

I am sure that they have made improvements where required, but there was no need to completely redesign the mousetrap.

My understand was that NHRA would not allow them to build an ALL NEW engine.. They had to follow set guidelines and that only allowed a copy of the current Hemi design with FORD part numbers. From what I've read FORCE and FORD wanted to redesign alot that NHRA wouldn't allow.

It's a shame that innovation is no longer allowed in the PRO ranks!!!!!!

Bruce,

As you well know, what looks on same on the outside the same ain't necessary the same, especially when it comes to blocks.

this is true, but what ford motor had the mag in the same place as a 426 hemi, and the oil pump mounted on the lower left side so it was driven off the mag. you can bolt the same plueger oil pump right on to a brad billet block or a stock 426 hemi block. same with the mag drive or gear drive and also bolt a bellhousing right off a top fuel car to a stock hemi as well. another thing is when was the last time the same valve cover would bolt on a 426 hemi as well as a ford motor.

this is true, but what ford motor had the mag in the same place as a 426 hemi, and the oil pump mounted on the lower left side so it was driven off the mag. you can bolt the same plueger oil pump right on to a brad billet block or a stock 426 hemi block. same with the mag drive or gear drive and also bolt a bellhousing right off a top fuel car to a stock hemi as well. another thing is when was the last time the same valve cover would bolt on a 426 hemi as well as a ford motor.
Bruce,Bruce,Bruce your not suppost to notice these small details, You must be one of those trouble making Chrysler Hemi lovers! Any rational fuel fan can just glance at the "All new" Ford Hemi and identify it immediately.;):D

Bruce,Bruce,Bruce your not suppost to notice these small details, You must be one of those trouble making Chrysler Hemi lovers! Any rational fuel fan can just glance at the "All new" Ford Hemi and identify it immediately.;):D

Didnt it have blue valve covers so you could tell it was a ford? How much help do you need.............:D

sorry guys, just a bad case of jet lag so i felt like starting a rant. mabey we can get Mel Gibson to star in a "conspiracy theroy 2" movie. lets see, GM motors pretending to be mopars, mopars pro stocks with nitrous, Hemi's with ford labels, and lets not forget the biggest conspiracy of them all, ....... the dredded countdown. boy if this stuff ever got out to the public, someone could get erased ........ .. . :rolleyes:

Bruce, Bruce.....did you not get the memo......the new "Ford" engine has a totally re-designed oil-pan bolt pattern.....'nuff said........... :D

They did their part to try and throw some FORD parts in what the NHRA would accept. The rules are so restrictive you have the choice to try and change the rules, or do what you can within the rules.
It is every bit a FORD as the Mopar pro stockers are an original HEMI.
If you are looking to find fault, it is there to be found. If you want to see what JFR is doing to make sponsors happy and involved in the sport for years to come, that is there to be found as well.

They did their part to try and throw some FORD parts in what the NHRA would accept. The rules are so restrictive you have the choice to try and change the rules, or do what you can within the rules.
It is every bit a FORD as the Mopar pro stockers are an original HEMI.
If you are looking to find fault, it is there to be found. If you want to see what JFR is doing to make sponsors happy and involved in the sport for years to come, that is there to be found as well.

Buzzz says it all there.

It makes sense that they built it so that all of the bolt on stuff in interchangeable otherwise the cost to use it would be prohibitive and all of you stuff would be obsolete. It's kinda funny how when common sense is used people still get slammed.

See 2008 rule book pp 253 thru top of 256... it's not "don't think outside the box", it's "This is the box you will use." I thought this sport was based on being innovative, building a better mouse trap... :confused:

d'kid

See 2008 rule book pp 253 thru top of 256... it's not "don't think outside the box", it's "This is the box you will use." I thought this sport was based on being innovative, building a better mouse trap... :confused:

d'kid

Those days are gone, I'm afraid. It's no longer a playground for engineering innovation, as it used to be. Warren Johnson himself, in one of his ND columns called it "Engineering Entertainment."

It really is SPEC NITRO MOTOR. Too bad the powers that be wouldn't have allowed the oil pump to be driven elsewhere thus eliminating a structural pain in the b### for the chassis builders, and maybe relocating the mags- the darn things stick out in the wind past the heads these days.

Oh well, a level playing field- and it is show biz-

Kind of a one ring circus with one clown.

I believe this motor falls in line with Nascars GM's "Cleveland" copy :)

Even the Toyota cup motor looks like it has "Yates" heads on it!

All great points. What an incredible exercise just to satisfy their sponsor...Ford. I'm amazed Ford is even paying attention to Funny Car racing...but then again, that probably explains why their stock is worth less than $7.00 a share! They should focus on building cars and trucks that are attractive to the general public and give up this waste of time and money on a fuel motor that everyone with a socket set knows isn't a Ford piece.

Sell your Ford stock now....:eek:

All they really accomplished was to build a little stronger block by improving a well worn but proven design. They didn't spend much doing that, but they get to call it a FORD with the blue paint on the valve covers. Obviously it was worth it to them, if it wins a championship they can call it a Hudson for all I care. We all know where it came from.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back