Ford 9" Diff (1 Viewer)

Mooseman

Nitro Member
I hope I don't sound stupid asking this but im still learning about diff's . What can you guys and girls tell me about the ford 9" diff , I know its great but what are its gear ratios and stuff like that ?

The Ford 9inch probably has the most different ratios available. Glad I put one in my 55 Chevy.

William, the Ford 9" is the industry standard third member. It's virsatile, diverse and structurally sound. You can gear it from the mid 2s well into the high 5s and maybe beyond that (but I've never seen them.) It's the general design structure coupled with parts availability (especially aftermarket) that attracts racers to it's usage. Most full tube chassis cars will use a "Fab 9" that was fabricated from scratch to accept Ford 9" components. Nearly every chassis manufacturer offers them. Strange has a wide variety available. (We run the Strange 9" Top Loaders in four of our cars) Mark Williams also has a variety of them available and they, along with many others have gearsets, bearings, spools, axles, brake kits, rotors, etc. to match your specific need.
There are other choices but you get into rare parts, questionable structure and unknown quantities real quick?

Would it be possible to shorten a Ford 9" and put jack chrisman floating hubs on it , reinforce the housing and put stronger bearings and bits in and use it as a full floater. Im considering getting one for my low buck funny car project that I will hopfully work on over the next year or two depending on my spare time.

I hope I don't sound stupid asking this but im still learning about diff's . What can you guys and girls tell me about the ford 9" diff , I know its great but what are its gear ratios and stuff like that ?

One of the great things about a 9 inch is that you can change the ratios without removing the rear end housing from the car. The center section (that carries the ring and pining and gear carrier/posi/spool) can be dropped out and changed in a matter of a half hour. Circle track racers carry several assemblies with different ratios for different tracks. They are a very strong, inexpensive way to go.

I believe I read years ago that a Ford 9" housing is actually weaker than others until you put the back brace on it, then it's stronger.

To give you a little perspective, Brendan Murray has run the same 9" Ford street gear in his blown nitro front engine dragster for the last two years due to narrow tires that slip and don't shake, along with a soft clutch set up. On my wider tire nostalgia funny that more than likely will shake, I'll have to run a pro gear and mag it often.

I ran a Dana 60 in my Altered and it never gave me any trouble. It is very strong, but it is a bit heavier. :)

for a ford 9 inch I think 3.89 4.11 4.29 4.57 4.71 4.77 4.86

Your probably getting sticker shock for many of the ford modular setups out there.
Mark Williams Enterprises - Detail

You can get a braced steel housing with floaters within reason.

From there you can add your carrier and gear setup, rotors, brakes etc. or get a complete one

When you upgrade to TA/FC though I dont know how well it would stand up. Better off with the modular live axel units.

OR you can buy this even though its probably overkill and the wrong ratio for you. Its a used Chrisman ten and a half used in a fuel funny car

insidetopalcohol.com - For Sale: 10.5 Chrisman Rear

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back