What makes a good Crew Chief? (1 Viewer)

Mooseman

Nitro Member
I was just thinking to my self about what makes a good crew chief , why are some better then others and what is different in the brains of those like Austin Coil , Alan Johnson , Dale Arstrong and Don Garlits and all those others who seemed to have there brain wired diferently .

I don't see why others havent been able to have the same success as them , because I am sure its not just those guys who fiddle with stuff like cylinder head port veloicity and total CFM and Final compression raitos and optimum stoichiometric ratios and and cam and ignition timing and all those other awesome cool stuff . So what makes a good crew Cheif and why is one better then another?

Oh and I love to read and learn about engines so if anyone knows any good highly detailed books on automotive engineering principles and internal combustion engine physics and anything like that please let me know where to get those books .

I was just thinking to my self about what makes a good crew chief , why are some better then others and what is different in the brains of those like Austin Coil , Alan Johnson , Dale Arstrong and Don Garlits and all those others who seemed to have there brain wired diferently .
I don't see why others havent been able to have the same success as them , because I am sure its not just those guys who fiddle with stuff like cylinder head port veloicity and total CFM and Final compression raitos and optimum stoichiometric ratios and and cam and ignition timing and all those other awesome cool stuff . So what makes a good crew Cheif and why is one better then another?
William - in my opinion, it's the ability to make fine adjustments after the car goes to the lanes. Changing weather, cloud cover and track conditions make a huge difference when almost everyone is running on the edge. A small turn of a knob, tweaking curves with the laptop or adjusting idle speed spells a good run or smoke. Or, you can just be a wizzard (we'll see if the wizzardry transfers to Ai-Anabi) - :D

Hey William, I dont know what its like to be a crew chief cuz ive never actually been one, but I think what makes the Coils and AJ's and the Armstrongs is that 1: they know all the fundamentals and theory on what makes an engine really run efficient. 2: They are able to control their environment around them as far as the crew and the car itself through their own unique methods and 3: they think outside of the box and arent afraid to try new things. Well at least thats my opinion anyways.

Oh and if you want a really good book on high performance engine theory, you need to order the book from Reher-Morrison. Top of the line stuff in that book for about 80 bucks. And I know Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins wrote a killer book on Chevrolet racing engines (its called Chevrolet Race Engine) but I havent been able to find it. So if you or anyone else knows where I can get that book please let me know!

Cool head.
Knows the goal.
Wide minded thinking on how to achieve that goal.
Intelligence enough to focus on the problem.
Knows how to get people to do most of the above.
Loves it.

I believe as in most things in life the first and foremost is the ability to be completely honest with yourself. This then allows you to be up front with your team.
Then for sure the knowledge of how an internal combustion motor works. I think this will really help with the diagnostics of a motor not running well. I believe at most auto repair shops the guy who makes the most money is the guy who can diagnose the problems the best.
I guess this next one should be first, but you for sure need a reliable and knowledgeable team.
Last but not least I think you need the guts to be able to make a decision you might not want to make.
I think the greatest thing ever in this sport is to watch a guy like Austin Coil or Alan Johnson, not be qualified and go out there and run low E.T. of the meet.

There are probably many reasons why some CC's are good. My brother told me something once that blew me away. He said until near the end of his career, Dick LaHai never even had notes. He would have a problem and remember a similar situation from the past and make adjustments based on that. Specific runs from years in the past!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I guess this next one should be first, but you for sure need a reliable and knowledgeable team.
This. It doesn't matter how good the crew chief is if the crew is me and a bunch of monkeys. Of course, part of being a good crew chief is being able to assemble and manage a crew that can work together and always get it right. The crew is the extension of the crew chief's vision and can make or break even the greatest chief.

Pretty simple. A good crew chief needs knowledge, vision, great communication skills and most important.....knows who is the boss and whose money he is spending. Most get in trouble with the last two.

Pat

A top shelf crew chief will stay w/in budget, have the respect of the crew, get plenty of publicity for the sponsor and most importantly................KEEP THE DRIVER SAFE!

Advice to kids. Take a LOT of math and engineering classes in school if you think you want to be one.

Some really good point being brought up.
I think that a crew chief, no matter how smart and creative they are, can only be as good as they crew they are surrounded by. In a way its not all that unlike a sports team, you need a good group of people that gel together as a team in order for the coach to make the team play well.
And like someone said earlier, the Golden rule overides all other factors: He who has the Gold, makes the rules!

ALong with Randy's school subject suggestion, I would also recommend a personal development class like Dale Carnegie's "How to win friends and influence people". Communication is a very important part of being successful long term.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back