Force Replies (2 Viewers)

Yeah Coil was the thrust of most of John's championships. But, they both helped each other. I'm pretty sure Coil was starting to make real money long before most other CC positions were, and that's because Force knew how to go find money. As the years progressed, the car ran better, won more, and Force kept bringing in more money. It was a great partnership, and as was stated, nothing lasts forever. Another reason why Force will be fine, Coil & Force were kind of like Bernstein in Armstrong, they built their dynasties in a era of alot of innovation. Nowadays the ability and freedom to innovate is really limited, so the emphasis is on consistency, qualifying and race-day set-ups, and so on.

Regardless of how Coil felt he was treated the past couple of years, he owed it to Force to tell him to his face that he was quitting.
Coil is now financially secure due, in no small part, to Force.
To inform your boss via a letter that you’re quitting, then refusing to talk to him because you no longer work for him, is a low blow.
Coil took the poultry-feces way out.

Regardless of how Coil felt he was treated the past couple of years, he owed it to Force to tell him to his face that he was quitting.
Coil is now financially secure due, in no small part, to Force.
To inform your boss via a letter that you’re quitting, then refusing to talk to him because you no longer work for him, is a low blow.
Coil took the poultry-feces way out.
Uhhh Ted ... that's how it is done in Corporate America and the business world. You tender your resignation and most of the time you actually submit it to HR. If you work for a good people oriented employer, typically they will seek you out for further discussion / understanding. I am not saying face to face is wrong, I personally have done this both ways (face to face / letter). You just don't see a face to face meeting for resignations very often. Usually, because most times its awkward for the person resigning.

Again ... it boils down to the "business" aspect of our sport. Drag racing teams (at least the Mega teams) aren't all that different than any other employer you and I work for. For JFR, DSR, Lucas, and others ... its business.

Last edited:
John Force by his nature is a pretty persuasive guy. I could see Austin Coil not wanting to run the risk of being talked out of the departure and then later regretting it.

Also it appears that there unfortunately was at least a little bad blood in the mix, its also possible that he didn't want to go face to face with a high energy guy having to deliver bad news to him on top of the bad blood situation.

But aside from that speculation that's probably all wet anyway, after the hard 26 years he put in, providing some exciting times and inspiration for all drag racing fans and competitors, I'd say he earned the right to go out any way he chooses.

Uhhh Ted ... that's how it is done in Corporate America and the business world. You tender your resignation and most of the time you actually submit it to HR. If you work for a good people oriented employer, typically they will seek you out for further discussion / understanding. I am not saying face to face is wrong, I personally have done this both ways (face to face / letter). You just don't see a face to face meeting for resignations very often. Usually, because most times its awkward for the person resigning.

Again ... it boils down to the "business" aspect of our sport. Drag racing teams (at least the Mega teams) aren't all that different than any other employer you and I work for. For JFR, DSR, Lucas, and others ... its business.

I guess I was raised differently.
I just passed my 20 year anniversary at my current job. Things are looking bright for a career change within the next 6 to 9 months.
Will I just send a letter to HR and not talk to my boss first when it's time to change? Hell no.
My boss has taken care of me over the years. I owe it to him to tell him face to face.

John Force by his nature is a pretty persuasive guy.

I seem to remember reading an interview of Austin once, where he described his recruitment by John. If I remember right, he said that after John made his pitch, Austin told him he wanted to think about it overnight, and to call back the next day. He said John called back an hour later. Then, called back in another hour. Austin claimed he finally said yes so he could get some sleep.

Anyhoo, I'm not saying Austin did it right or wrong. All I'm saying is that we don't know the whole story, probably never will, and it isn't serving any purpose to blame one or the other.

I guess I was raised differently.
I just passed my 20 year anniversary at my current job. Things are looking bright for a career change within the next 6 to 9 months.
Will I just send a letter to HR and not talk to my boss first when it's time to change? Hell no.
My boss has taken care of me over the years. I owe it to him to tell him face to face.

Amen, brother. But then again, that train of thought likely puts you and I in the minority, Ted.............;)

Sean D

It's probably a good idea not to speculate too much on this deal. Coil will come out later with the reasons for his departure. They sure had a heck of run and both need to be congratulated.

Force will move on as his organization is solid. Coil can do whatever he pleases and certainly he will be in demand. It would be great to see the Chi-Town Hustler moniker on the NHRA trail again. That would be about as cool as it gets.

I have money that says Austin will forgive and forget. They had too many good times together.

Last edited:
if you don't know the whole story, why don't you just try to keep the bull$hit to a minimum instead of making assanine statements and making yourself look like a fool

uhhhh Jim.........thats NOT always the way its done in corporate america and the business world. I own/manage (3) moderatly sized corporations and have had many low-mid and upper level management people work for me and in the 34+ years i have been in business only (1) mid-level management person resigned by submitting a leter to HR dept,all others came and seen me face to face.Some i tried to keep some i was glad they were leaving.I think Coil took the less honarable way out, if in fact that was the way he did it.

One thing I've learned as the years go by is, men seem to get really crotchety and hard to deal with when they get older. I've seen it in my dad, and I'm sure I'll follow suit as well. Something just seems to change. With my dad I've seen things that used to get him riled up, just roll of his back now and other things, little things, seem to annoy the hell out of him. There's just something different. It's been that way with others I've known as well. Who knows, maybe Force and Coil are both going through this phase.

if you don't know the whole story, why don't you just try to keep the bull$hit to a minimum instead of making assanine statements and making yourself look like a fool

Thank you Mike, well said.

I think what is missing here, is not just the last 26 years, but closer to 40 plus years on the road. Yes, Maybe it is time to take off for a while, decompress, and just enjoy life.

17 Championships as a Tuner, not too shabby. I'd just like to know what Austin has forgotten:)

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back