Force Replies (1 Viewer)

I know it's not on the topic of Coil, but this line stood out to me:
The problems with the car were resolved according to Force by Murf McKinney and Ford.
Wasn't it McKinney that caused the problem in the first place by using hardened tubing which wasn't allowed by the rulebook? I'd still like to know why they were allowed to run frames that were in violation of the rulebook.

I know it's not on the topic of Coil, but this line stood out to me:
Wasn't it McKinney that caused the problem in the first place by using hardened tubing which wasn't allowed by the rulebook? I'd still like to know why they were allowed to run frames that were in violation of the rulebook.

that's the old "gray area" rule. . . it didn't say you could not run heat treated material. . but please don't start that debate about the tubing rule. . .

that's the old "gray area" rule. . . it didn't say you could not run heat treated material. . but please don't start that debate about the tubing rule. . .

This brings up a point... I know myself and I would have started asking questions if not for this warning.

Is there a FAQ of sorts for debates current and past? Heck, are there even any FAQs for the NHRA forum?

that's the old "gray area" rule. . . it didn't say you could not run heat treated material
Not according to this:
Critically, the 2007 NHRA rule books states under Funny Car, “Chassis must meet SFI Spec 10.1E.” This is clearly an endorsement of the SFI spec, just as it’s clear that NHRA bears the responsibility for enforcement of that rule.
followed by this several paragraphs later:
Again according to (Bill) Miller’s letter, “There is no provision for the use of hardened tubing in the present SFI Funny Car Spec. Without explanation the Funny Car Spec mandates normalized (not hardened) tubing…” Miller continues, “McKinney has admitted using hardened tubing in Funny Car chassis. Funny Car chassis failures, like Top Fuel, have increased since the use of hardened tubing.”

On April 9, 2006 Miller sent a letter to Arnie Kuhns of SFI. In it he writes, “Keeping in mind that McKinney has told JFR that the bottom frame rails of their chassis are not normalized SAE 4130 tubing as mandated by SFI 10.1E, please answer the following question: How did these JFR racecars get technical approval?”

TUBULAR TALES -- AN INVESTIGATIVE STORY

Last edited:
I'm sure Force paid Coil a ton of $$$ over the years. Austin don't let the door hit you in the as* on the way out!

remember one thing, force wasn't a front runner until coil came onboard. he needed coil.coil didn't really need him. maybe force should think about sliding out of that seat and putting another young gun in. i know he's a better racer than spectater. but he's also a very, very good promoter for his sponsers and team. this deal with coil has been coming for while i would suspect. i guess what it comes down to is age does it again. that sucks.

I've probably misread the situation, but with smart guys like Medlin and Coil, it seems that they got tired of Force sitting them down daily and treating them like football middle linebackers that needed to be fired up in order to do their jobs well. I'd get tired of that too.

I've probably misread the situation, but with smart guys like Medlin and Coil, it seems that they got tired of Force sitting them down daily and treating them like football middle linebackers that needed to be fired up in order to do their jobs well. I'd get tired of that too.

And you know thats how John treats his employees HOW?From what I have heard from people who work for him,he treats them very well.

I do not post much on here, but Force really did not due much the last two years with coil. Last year he didn't even win a single race. Neff steps in and they win another championship. I honestly believe they will be fine without coil. Look how Neff had his car running when Medlin was in the hospital that weekend and Neff pulled both duties. I personally think Neff will win Force at least one more title if not two more before he retires. I don't really think Coil will be that big of an issue to be honest, they have alot of heads in that camp. Let Coil go to Schumacher, he won't win there either. I think he should just ride off into the sunset, go out on top.

And you know thats how John treats his employees HOW?From what I have heard from people who work for him,he treats them very well.

Let's see Paul . . . quotes like this:

“There were a lot of hard feelings over 2009 because our performance was suffering,” said Coil, 65, who has tuned Force to all of his championships and 132 national event victories. “The end result created some animosities that won’t go away. I’m too old to be sat down and told ‘how it is’ every other day. Overall, there’s no real terrible issues going on. It was just time to go. Kind of like when you’ve been married for 26 years and heard all the bull****.”

Racin’ Today Disgruntled Tuner Austin Coil Splits With Force

I'm far from a Force hater, just not sure he's a leader/manager of the brain trust. Force is a great marketing person and a lot of showing leadership at the lower levels is pretty close to marketing for many. The old line smart guys take more of a feather than a hammer.

You are clearly much closer to the situation than I am, I defer to your every thought.

It seemed to me that when they showed on ESPN the huddle, in the trailer on race-day morning, Coil was right there leading the HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY.

Out of respect to both of them, just let it ride for now and plan to talk at Indy next year. Lot of history here and a friendship to consider.

The company I work for instituted a similar plan in '09 for salary reductions. Nobody likes it but it keeps people working instead on the unemployment line. Different regions of the world had policies where layoff were de rigor. Those folks are still not working for the most part.

The company I work for instituted a similar plan in '09 for salary reductions. Nobody likes it but it keeps people working instead on the unemployment line.

In other words, your company isn't unionized.

Back in 1980, when Lee Iacocca spearheaded the Chrysler bailout, he told the auto workers' union who, even in the midst of an impending bankruptcy, threatened a strike for more money. Iacocca told the union bosses words to this effect, "Every person working for Chrysler will have a job at $20 an hour. If you insist on $24 an hour, I'll padlock this sumbich tomorrow morning." The union blinked.

Exactly what Force did, or should have done. "We can race on a reduced budget, or we can pack our crap and go home". Coil packed up.

His choice. It would have been nice if he'd at least given John a phone call advising him of his decision.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back