Force Offers Retraction (1 Viewer)

What I read there was a statement put together by the JFR PR person. And it was hardly an apology for the way he acted on Monday. Pure B.S. in my opinion. And Tony & Cruz don't owe Force chit.
Force may be the grand ambassador of the NHRA, but his recent actions on and off the track are disgraceful to say the least. How sad. :(

After all these years, that Tony and John have known each other, and with Tony being a former employee of Johns, does anyone really think that Tony was shocked in the least by the conversation that transpired???? I dont! I honestly cannot understand all the discussions that seem to have pretty serious opionions on what was said, how it was said, and what the outcome should be, here and on another board. I just dont get it, I missed something somewhere. I just dont see anything worth anyone commenting more than a chuckle, or repeating something they heard they thought was funny, its all been taken so seriously.

If it was a given John would lose out to promote his team, which pleases his sponsors, what is the problem? *I know its illegal))
If Tony and John decide to go at it, with all that adreneline still pumping, and the cameras decide to show it, well, its been a part of racing, in lots of sports, heated discussions, accuasations, and even fist fights. Its just how it is. The only thing I am wondering is, if all this attention, that might benefit the sport in the short or long run, will get John fined, since the cameras ran to Light to ask about the situation. Oh well, to each his or her own opionion, thats mine.

Bill--- you say john Force is a "good guy" I don't know john personally but from what i have seen of him in all these long years of watching him on TV and at the track I have no reason to disagree with you. BUT--- When someone repeatedly [as you say happened regularly with ESPN etc] blows up and then a short time later comes back to apologize for their inappropriate behavior , that does not make it all ok. If it happens once or twice it should be forgotten but If that is standard operating procedure for JF then JF is not behaving properly and should change his behavior or suffer the consequences.
AND if JF blows up at Tony because he feels guilty about throwing the race he should own up to the real reason he felt so angry and take his punishment.

I have purposely avoided acting as an apologist for John in the aftermath of what happened Monday. Some willl disapprove of his actions (or those of the Pedregons) and others will feel that such things can happen in the heat of battle. I'd be foolish to try to get everyone to join hands and reach total agreement on what happened. As someone who has been on network TV for 20 years, I've experienced the "Bill Stephens is great"/"Bill Stephens sucks" see-saw of public opinion first hand. There are no 100-percenters in this business.

I will, however, ask everyone to at least consider this. If you measure the behavior of people who live their lives in the public eye under the relentless pressure of performing flawlessly, satisfying their sponsors, fans, crew, sanctioning body, family, friends, and complete strangers 24/7 without ever making a mistake in a sport where in a single instant, you can be grievously injured or killed, the same way you measure the behavior of the fellow who works behind the counter at the local Subway, there's a major disconnect there. As the old saying goes, "Try walking a mile in his shoes".

I never said John was frequently coming to ESPN and voicing displeasure with the coverage, in fact, I can count on one hand how many times he did. What I said was any time it happened, he was always willing to offer his apologies--something I have seen happen very rarely in episodes involving other racing personalities.

You've all seen the enormous amount of emotion and energy John radiates. I have known him as a driver and as a friend for 15 years. What you see is what you get. He understands the politics of his craft to be sure, but one thing he isn't is a counterfeit. Someday his life story will be written and I hope everyone here takes the time to read it because there are many aspects of John's life and personality which deserve to be revealed. May I also say that if you go back the past few years, you'll recall he's seen a young man who was essentially the son he never had killed in a race car. He's had to stand back and watch all three of his daughters climb into Funny Cars or Dragsters and drive insanely fast while all he can do is hope and pray they get to the other end safely. He was almost killed himself numerous times, most recently in Dallas a couple of years ago. He hasn't won a race since last year and is in danger of having his first season without a win since the 1980's. Pressure? I'd say so.

One other thing. John Force--rightly or wrongly--has become the face of the sport. Thanks to him (and now Ashley) more people than ever before are aware of NHRA drag racing. He has attracted a whole new generation of drag racing fans who quite probably never would have found us otherwise. I can tell you without question that when John loses in the first round, ESPN TV ratings for the race decline. I will also tell you this: When John finally calls it quits, there are no more John Forces coming along to replace him. We've been pretty fortunate to have someone like him shine the spotlight on the sport for so long and people will be telling John Force tales for years to come.

Enjoy him while you can. And if he occasionally loses his temper, I'm OK with that.

Last edited:
Where did you read it was a statement from a John Force PR person? John Force's PR people had nothing to do with Force's retraction. We wrote that in-house and we wrote what he said. His final comment was, "I said and did some things that were wrong and I have to make it right."

I think some of those who are acting holier than thou ... ought to put down their stones unless of course they are pure and without blemish.

Where did you read it was a statement from a John Force PR person? John Force's PR people had nothing to do with Force's retraction. We wrote that in-house and we wrote what he said. His final comment was, "I said and did some things that were wrong and I have to make it right."

I think some of those who are acting holier than thou ... ought to put down their stones unless of course they are pure and without blemish.

Or at least put their keyboards down ... wait then we wouldn't have anyone posting anymore. How many more threads can there be on this topic, really?

I have purposely avoided acting as an apologist for John in the aftermath of what happened Monday. Some willl disapprove of his actions (or those of the Pedregons) and others will feel that such things can happen in the heat of battle. I'd be foolish to try to get everyone to join hands and reach total agreement on what happened. As someone who has been on network TV for 20 years, I've experienced the "Bill Stephens is great"/"Bill Stephens sucks" see-saw of public opinion first hand. There are no 100-percenters in this business.

I will, however, ask everyone to at least consider this. If you measure the behavior of people who live their lives in the public eye under the relentless pressure of performing flawlessly, satisfying their sponsors, fans, crew, sanctioning body, family, friends, and complete strangers 24/7 without ever making a mistake in a sport where in a single instant, you can be grievously injured or killed, the same way you measure the behavior of the fellow who works behind the counter at the local Subway, there's a major disconnect there. As the old saying goes, "Try walking a mile in his shoes".

I never said John was frequently coming to ESPN and voicing displeasure with the coverage, in fact, I can count on one hand how many times he did. What I said was any time it happened, he was always willing to offer his apologies--something I have seen happen very rarely in episodes involving other racing personalities.

You've all seen the enormous amount of emotion and energy John radiates. I have known him as a driver and as a friend for 15 years. What you see is what you get. He understands the politics of his craft to be sure, but one thing he isn't is a counterfeit. Someday his life story will be written and I hope everyone here takes the time to read it because there are many aspects of John's life and personality which deserve to be revealed. May I also say that if you go back the past few years, you'll recall he's seen a young man who was essentially the son he never had killed in a race car. He's had to stand back and watch all three of his daughters climb into Funny Cars or Dragsters and drive insanely fast while all he can do is hope and pray they get to the other end safely. He was almost killed himself numerous times, most recently in Dallas a couple of years ago. He hasn't won a race since last year and is in danger of having his first season without a win since the 1980's. Pressure? I'd say so.

One other thing. John Force--rightly or wrongly--has become the face of the sport. Thanks to him (and now Ashley) more people than ever before are aware of NHRA drag racing. He has attracted a whole new generation of drag racing fans who quite probably never would have found us otherwise. I can tell you without question that when John loses in the first round, ESPN TV ratings for the race decline. I will also tell you this: When John finally calls it quits, there are no more John Forces coming along to replace him. We've been pretty fortunate to have someone like him shine the spotlight on the sport for so long and people will be telling John Force tales for years to come.

Enjoy him while you can. And if he occasionally loses his temper, I'm OK with that.

Bill-- you are right. You never said regularly as i did.
Believe me Bill until this Monday i never uttered a bad word about John or anyone from JFR. I always admired Johns contribution to the sport I love. I have never taken what he said in race interviews seriously. He is an actor and i used to think it was a hoot to listen to him. But lately I am growing tired of the pyrotechnics and the over the top speeches. Which leads me to ask if it was all a show on Monday. Also I'm tired of the way the force family dominates the TV coverage. Especially the stepford wife Laurie. But there is one person who has gained my respect during this whole thing. And that is Ashley. She was calm and polite during the words between dad and tony. Maybe its time for John to move over and let Ashley take the reins

. . . Maybe its time for John to move over and let Ashley take the reins

How insightful of you to know when someone else needs to quit racing to serve your personal agenda. Are you aware that he's in the countdown with a chance to win his FIFTEENTH championship? I'd say he's still quite competitive and you're embarrassing yourself.

How insightful of you to know when someone else needs to quit racing to serve your personal agenda. Are you aware that he's in the countdown with a chance to win his FIFTEENTH championship? I'd say he's still quite competitive and you're embarrassing yourself.

Bobby-- just asking the question to point out his recent behavior. I'm fully aware of what is happening in the countdown and what has happened in the past [ been following the sport for over 35 years] I have no agenda. Just love drag racing. And i'll try not to embarrass myself again. ;)

Bobby-- just asking the question to point out his recent behavior. I'm fully aware of what is happening in the countdown and what has happened in the past [ been following the sport for over 35 years] I have no agenda. Just love drag racing. And i'll try not to embarrass myself again. ;)

I've always respected your posts Barry and with few exceptions, I suspect I always will. It's just gotten so embarrassing to see all the "What Ifs" laid out to possibly get Cruz back into the game.

We have an offer of a do-over (what professional sport does this)
We have Don Schumacher openly saying he's not "Fooled by John's BS"
We have one genius wanting statements under oath
We have Cruz asking for a runoff for what he's already lost-how convenient for him?
and
I doubt we've seen the end of the elaborate schemes contrived in an effort to say what has happened really didn't happen or shouldn't have.

It's just very embarrassing, that's all I'm saying here.
It's time to move on.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back