Foley Crash (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
On Speed Channel today. I know, he is principally an IHRA guy, but he was entered at Richmond. And if a Moderator can express his love of F1, I think I'm entitled to post this! Sorry Vincent, just couldn't resist - :D
Anyway - Doug was racing Clay, got way out of shape, hit it again and went up on the left slick before hitting left wall. It got worse - something caused the car to go to WOT - back across the track with smoke boiling off the slicks into the right wall. Car broke apart in flames and a cloud of yellow smoke.
Doug was very fortunate to get out of this with only a broken leg and several less serious injuries. You have to admire the courage of all of the fuel drivers - they are only one minor mistake or malfunction from disaster on every run!

Vincent - I'm staying away from all racing sites and trying to stay awake to hopefully see Michael go out on top! I'll have to admit I also love F1 - :eek:

I sat across from Doug Thursday at the pre-race press conference last Thursday. He seems to be over the effects of the concussion, but doesn't remember the accident. Between the broken leg and the separated shoulder (and four cracked ribs), he isn't able to use crutches or a walker to get around, so was in a wheel chair. But he seemed to be back to normal otherwise and joked that this gives him a 30-day head start on getting ready for the 2007 season. He said he'll be in the leg cast for about six weeks, so his season is over.

Last night was the first time I'd seen the videos of the crash - one thing that differed from the original accounts was that there was no big wheelstand - I hadn't seen one, but things happen so fast that it's not unusual to miss a wheelstand if you are watching the car in the other lane and Clay got off to a better start. Also on the video it as clear that the chassis broke on the left side from the initial impact with the wall, but the frame rails on the right side did not break, so the front section stayed with the car when it went back across the track.

One other thing I learned from my lunchtime chat with Foley - despite all the violent impacts during the accident and the big fireball at the second wall impact, the short block was undamaged. That was about the only thing that was salvageable, the rest of the car was a writeoff.

I saw it on SPEED this weekend and it is amazing that he got away with relatively minor injuries considering, both impacts were right on the drivers compartment, very scary indeed. God bless his chassis builder..............

One other thing I learned from talking to Doug this past week is that he was wearing a HANS device and is very glad he was.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back