Fake news (1 Viewer)

Butch

Nitro Member
So I get on my laptop this morning and on MSN I see a picture of Jungle Jim and Pam walking in the staging lanes at some track.
The headline say 15 PICTURES OF WOODSTOCK. WTF

While it was on MSN, it's probably whichever company they are using for their web advertising units. 'Matched content' ad boxes use a combination of real and clickbait articles with an algorithm deciding what you are most likely to click. Because you probably have a search history of drag racing it will use that to get you to click. You probably get ads that say things like "Drivers in *your location* need to do this to avoid getting a ticket on Tuesday!" with a picture of a pretty girl getting arrested...it's all about those clicks.

i have seen jungle pam show up on similar '25 photos from the past' sort of thing.......and she is actually one of the photos w/caption.
so talk about algorithms; yesterday was listening to an obscure artist's CD in my pickup. a CD a friend lent to me to listen to. later yesterday the guy shows up as a suggested play
on my youtube on my business computer. i have sirius radio. that is some scary stuff. i had never searched this guy on my computer at all.
btw, his name is Seasick Steve. r&b/blues guy. a little older. was pleasantly surprised w/his music.

When I turn on my computer, goes right to Google. Have to go from there to various sites. Google follows you & starts sending ads as I go from site to site. I am quite sure they have a history of everything I have ever looked at. I also wonder about my cable company. That is kinda scary to me.

This is how we pay for all the free stuff Google provides(knock-off Microsoft Office, storage space in the cloud, maps, Google Earth). All of us have to decide how much intrusion into our lives we trade for the free stuff.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back