Jungle Pam gets the call (1 Viewer)

J. S.

Nitro Member
Good article yesterday on Comp Plus about Garlits calling Jungle Pam to let her know she has been elected to his International Drag Racing Hall of Fame.

She seems honored, but also doesn't see herself in the same league as all the drivers, team owners, parts manufacturers, etc. But boy, who doesn't know about the great Jungle Pam? I was actually surprised to learn that she was not already in the IDRHoF. It should be a great ceremony next year and I bet she gets a rousing standing ovation.

I have always wondered about her life post-Jungle. She was still a young woman of maybe 25 years old when the broke up, and of course Jungle was killed not long afterward. Did she ever get married? Ever have any kids? Did she have other careers? There's not much out there about her that I know of, other than her famous life as the All-time Queen of Back-up Girls.

If you read the article, she addresses that issue. I say there's no doubt she deserves this honor. She was a huge part of the drag racing scene in the early to mid-1970's.

She was as popular as any of the cars and drivers of that era.

I've always found her to be very well spoken during interviews. Smart but down to earth, very relatable. Certainly more there than a wet t-shirt so to speak. Frankly I think NHRA missed something by not having her in a more visible role over the years to attract women racers and spectators.

Pam Hardy represented the heart and soul of this sport. She represented all the crew members, announcers, track workers, ticket takers and maintenance crew who had vital roles to play, even though they may have never pulled on Nomex. Her devotion to Mr. Liberman and his sport was emblematic of our affection and devotion to drag racing during her time.

Frankly, the sport could use a couple dozen Jungle Pams today.

If it wasn't for Pam, do you think we would have backup girls today TRYING to copy her performance?
That alone speaks as to why she belongs in the HOF.

large father will probably have a nice likeness of her at the entrance to his museum.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back