Exhibition/Match Racing (1 Viewer)

John Smillie

Nitro Member
Hey everybody, I was wondering, do any teams still do random exhibition passes at smaller tracks or match racing during "off" weekends? If so, what is the cost involved for the teams and what kind of compensation do they request from the tracks?

Thanks!!!

Hey everybody, I was wondering, do any teams still do random exhibition passes at smaller tracks or match racing during "off" weekends? If so, what is the cost involved for the teams and what kind of compensation do they request from the tracks?

Thanks!!!

not any big teams due to the fact the nhra will only allow 4 test sessions throughout the year

Yes, Norwalk Night of Fire.

I'd say the teams that run there are "big teams"

Also the World Series at Cordova usually books in some big show cars.

Last edited:
The 4 test limit really killed some of this. I know Wilkerson used to several of these.

As mentioned Norwalk has the Night of Fire and Cordova has the World Series. I know 131 has the Funny Car Nationals which has drawn, Haddock and Creasy in the past.

Tony and Cruz Pedregon and Tim and Daniel Wilkerson are slated to be at Cordova for the World Series... I believe Eddyville will have a pair as well (not quite sure) for there Nite of Fire event, and there is a possibility that Cedar Falls might have a pair for their summer nitro show...

Right, I forgot about the four test session rule. I wasn't aware it applied to match racing, etc. That's too bad.

I assume there are a lot of tracks that would like to bring it a pair of fuelers or funny cars but it's probably not feasible now with the new rule. Does anyone know what these teams were requesting at the time they were able to run freely?

Does IHRA have this same restriction?

John

It is a different world now. Even if the "big show" cars were allowed to run those events, they get way too much money for the track operator to turn a profit.

When the pricing got out of control, the track operators gave up on spectators and went to bracket racing to keep the doors open.

...they get way too much money for the track operator to turn a profit... and went to bracket racing...

Big Show = $12,500 - 20,000 for two runs on one night...

Classic F/C = $2500 - 3500 for two runs ,one night...

Budget Teams = $6000 - 12,500 for two...

A $20 ticket with 3000 fans paid gives them a $60,000 budget for costs and profit...
If only 1500 people show up, then it's a bad gamble with booked "big show cars"...

It is a different world now. Even if the "big show" cars were allowed to run those events, they get way too much money for the track operator to turn a profit.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Force does the Night Under Fire at Norwalk and Wilk did the Night of Fire a couple of years ago at Eddyville and I can assure you that neither Bader or Gardner, respectively, books these cars in with the intention of ending the night in the red...................;)

Sean D

You are talking about special races that pack the place out. Back in the day, the tracks had a nitro show at least once a month, then jets once a month, then something else that brings in fans.

Can't do that anymore.

...Back in the day, the tracks had a nitro show at least once a month, ....Can't do that anymore.
How about beautiful US30 dragway , Gary @ the steel mills Indiana ,
He booked Nitro cars every Friday night ,plus some Wednesdays too, during the summer...
The home track of the Coke "Cavalcade of Stars" circuit...
Maybe a $10 ticket with 3000-4000 people...

... could be just a little gambling too ... (heard shots , never got)...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back