Gilbertson wins match race at Carolina Dragway (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
GILBERTSON WINS MATCH RACE AT CAROLINA DRAGWAY

Sets both ends of track record in the process

JACKSON, S.C. -- Bob Gilbertson had one of the best weekends of racing he's had this year Saturday night in a match race against Andy Kelly at Carolina Dragway.

Billed as a race to determine who had the quickest and fastest nitro Funny Car in the Carolina's, Gilbertson and his Trick Tank team prevailed over Kelly in the two run match race that was part of the IHRA's Thunder Jam series.

It was the first time in many years that nitro Funny Cars raced at the almost 50 year-old track and Gilbertson set the overall track record and became the quickest and fastest man to ever transverse the historic 1/8th mile track.

Gilbertson cranked out a 3.50 second elapsed time at 240.25 mph in the first round and bettered that in the final round with a 3.44 at 248.69 to the delight of the capacity crowd.

"This was probably the most fun I've had racing in a long time," Gilbertson said late Saturday night. "Match races are cool for not only me but the rest of the team as there's not a lot of pressure to qualify and we can just go out and burn some rubber. Another plus is that Tommy (Delago, crew chief) can do a little experimenting and try some ideas he has, luckily we didn't hurt anything, no parts fell off and other than a little body damage on the Trick Tank Monte Carlo when I hit a timing block in the final round we came out of there unscathed."

"I really have to give a lot of credit to Jeff Miles (track operator) his staff, the IHRA and especially the fans for a great night of racing," Gilbertson added. The place was a mob scene, the track was in perfect racing condition, we were treated like royalty and we all had a good time, if they ever want us to go back there we'll go in a New York minute. I've got to say I don't think that I've ever signed more autograph cards than I did Saturday night, I know I wore out a few Sharpies doing it."

Gilbertson and his team now head out to Milan, Mich. for the rescheduled IHRA Motor City Nationals this weekend.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back