Everyone is under funded! (1 Viewer)

Glad you chimed in to repsond to that, Jim.

I believe you're one of the good guys out there..and I certainly hope you get some (more) good backing soon.

We need to see you out there.

Glad you chimed in to repsond to that, Jim.

I believe you're one of the good guys out there..and I certainly hope you get some (more) good backing soon.

We need to see you out there.

Thanks David;
I love to read this stuff, but my typing is so slow that it takes alot to get me to post. Well I should be happy that Darrell reads my blogs, maybe deep down inside he is a Jim Yates fan. And now that I think of it, since he is a big fan, maybe he should sell all of his stuff and send me the money and then I can keep racing and put "DARRELL REID" on the side of the car. Well like my mom used to say "It's all fun and games, until somebody has to write a check". LOL . BTW, is there spell check on this thing????

Darrell
it happens to be a 56 foot "Sea Ray" Boat not a 65 foot "Sea Ray" boat , however some day I may step up. Now if you noticed, I race a Pro Stock car sponsored by "Sea Ray" and "Wiley-X". And yes, I do believe that the fact that I have a cool 56 foot "Sea Ray" boat and that I talk about it on my blog might help my sponsor "Sea Ray" sell some boats. I also hope you notice my Wiley-X sunglasses and maybe go out and buy some so I can keep racing. There are fans every weekend who come up to me and want to talk boating, and I do enjoy the heck out of talking about something that is so much fun. I also like to race Pro Stock, and I spend a lot of my own $$$$$ to do that. However I have never taken one dollar from a sponsor and spent it on anything other than racing, never have I spent it on a boat or a even a cool pair of sunglasses. Now if you think that I should sell all my earthly posessions (even my 56 foot "SEA RAY" boat) and then spend the money to sponsor my pro stock car so I can race it and entertain the fans, I think I will pass. Now on to you Michael, since I have not seen the coverage yet (beacuse I was driving the rig home from Atlanta) please tell us.... Who was whinning about being underfunded on the coverage!

Jim,

You're incredible. Awesome post. I hope you find some more $$ and a sponsor soon. I agree. The NHRA needs you out there. You're one of the best.

Jim.. good luck with things.. hoepfully you can get what you need to continue racing... i keep telling Rob at Wiley X to drop some of the cup stuff they are doing...lol..

Great to hear from you too...

Billy

Jim,
Glad to see that you can continue to multi-task while driving... You never seem to stop impressing me! I was making a general reference because every time Stanfield wins a round we hear from the announcers about what could he do if he had a lot more funding. That is not Greg's fault and I'm certainly not saying that people shouldn't be out trying to find sponsorship because I view racing just like gambling. Think about how much of your own money you've spent over the years, at some point and time you have to set a squeal point and when you reach it you stop. But my point is that everyone could do more with more money. Back when you won your championships, don't you think you could have won a few more races or maybe another championship if you had additional money to spend for people or parts?

My point is that we all would like to see everyone be able to race and if it wasn't for the wealthy people like yourself we wouldn't have the sport where it is today. I just don't think that guys getting interviewed at the top end should complain because Schu or whom ever is spending a lot more money and its hard for them to keep up. I agree it sucks that we have to try to compete with half or a quarter the budget of some teams but it is the nature of the beast. I certainly hope that you are able to continue because it just wouldn't be the same if you weren't there. I was certainly glad to see Jonman make an appearance, it has been some time since I've seen him and since he forgot how to use the phone... Be safe and I'll see you in St. Louis.

Michael

I think I should clarify about something that appears to be going on. I'm not saying that teams shouldn't let it be known that they are looking for additional funding. Jim is looking for some additional help, if it wasn't said someone would see the car with Wiley-X on it and assume that he had a good enough deal to keep racing. I certainly do not have a problem with that, what I am saying is that I think that drivers shouldn't get out and say that is was great race because we don't have the money to run with them, right after you have beat them. I'm not calling anyone out, I'm simply making a general observation.

Michael

I don't blame any racer for not racing on their dime unless they have unlimited dimes. Why blow the family well being on a race car?,makes no sense at all. WJ has said he would not race on his dime either,Skuza is another who is smart about it. As far as some being under funded,it's true except for,oh well,no point going there.:eek:

Thanks for chiming in on this, Jim Yates.

I wish more of the pros would do the same thing but I assume alot of them lack the "seeds" to do it.

Have a great time cruising in that Sea Ray. I know I would.

Jim,
Glad to see that you can continue to multi-task while driving... You never seem to stop impressing me! I was making a general reference because every time Stanfield wins a round we hear from the announcers about what could he do if he had a lot more funding. That is not Greg's fault and I'm certainly not saying that people shouldn't be out trying to find sponsorship because I view racing just like gambling. Think about how much of your own money you've spent over the years, at some point and time you have to set a squeal point and when you reach it you stop. But my point is that everyone could do more with more money. Back when you won your championships, don't you think you could have won a few more races or maybe another championship if you had additional money to spend for people or parts?

My point is that we all would like to see everyone be able to race and if it wasn't for the wealthy people like yourself we wouldn't have the sport where it is today. I just don't think that guys getting interviewed at the top end should complain because Schu or whom ever is spending a lot more money and its hard for them to keep up. I agree it sucks that we have to try to compete with half or a quarter the budget of some teams but it is the nature of the beast. I certainly hope that you are able to continue because it just wouldn't be the same if you weren't there. I was certainly glad to see Jonman make an appearance, it has been some time since I've seen him and since he forgot how to use the phone... Be safe and I'll see you in St. Louis.

Michael

Michael;
thanks for mentioning Jonman, he is soooo busy trying to get his engineering degree that, he may not make any races this summer. He wants to take some classes over the summer so he can graduate next May. He is really doing great so far this semester and has only 1 final left to take. He swears he is getting all A's and B's this semester. Don't feel bad that he hasn't called, he is spending all his time in the library, at least that is what he claims and based on his grades I believe him.
Now, on the funding issue...... the first rule of racing is.....
SPEED COSTS MONEY-----HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some things never change, we all want to go faster, now all we have to do is find more money. Lets get to work.
See you in ST. Louis
Jim

Hey Jim
Havent noticed if its still on your car, but I use a B-W turn overball.

as far as the TFD team I crew for I have sat at home all season so far cause it has cost the carowner/driver a fortune to run it on his own dime.

Just lucky I also crew a TFH so I dont forget how to turn a motor between rounds

Didn't really mean to come out with the "guns-a-blazin", but it does seem ironic, most of the folks I've met at the track are doing it on their own dime, or with a few associate sponsors, its kinda like owning your own business, you gotta love what you do.

Expecting another to pay for a hobby of mine is stretching things just a little.

"D"

I certainly think that you do have to love what you do, but you still have to have something other than racing to do.

I love going out to the track, I have a lot of friends there. Sometimes we go out for 4-5 weekends in a row, and get to week six and you don't want to see another race car if it showed up in your dreams. You need that escape, and I believe you need the escape in order to be better at your primary job.

For a lot of these people, racing isn't a hobby. They make it their business to go out to win and make money. Sponsors aren't paying for a hobby, they are paying for advertisment and marketing. In fact, the work sponsor has almost become obsolete, it's "Marketing partner" now, thank you very much! The fact that you are doing what you love is an added bonus.

"I love to read this stuff, but my typing is so slow that it takes alot to get me to post. Well I should be happy that Darrell reads my blogs, maybe deep down inside he is a Jim Yates fan. And now that I think of it, since he is a big fan, maybe he should sell all of his stuff and send me the money and then I can keep racing and put "DARRELL REID" on the side of the car. Well like my mom used to say "It's all fun and games, until somebody has to write a check". LOL . BTW, is there spell check on this thing????"

Jim,
LOL, Nice reply.

Not deep down, fan right here up on the surface, have been cheering for you all along, was hoping to learn a few things from you, my loss!

It was not meant to be a personal attack, just an observation that I thought went along with the thread.

Good luck with finding more sponsorship, youv'e been doing this a long time and I'm sure you know the in & outs far better than I do!

Oh yeah, I do write ALL of the checks, sweep the floor, clean the toilet, write the programs, set up the machines, um, and occasionally machine a part or two!

Edit, That 56' boat would look a lot better with some rocket launchers and a 5 scoop bait tank on it, I bet that thing is a nice ride on the open water, could catch some really nice fish out here on the left coast.

"D"

Last edited:
Jim, I have a been a fan of yours for years. I hope you find the funding you need to stay out there and be competitive. I know I wouldnt continue to run a team on my own money so I dont blame you one bit. I know you said earlier in the year that after so many races you would I guess park the team if no sponsorship was found so if you dont mind can you fill us in on the plan for the rest of the year? Good luck to you.

Well like my mom used to say "It's all fun and games, until somebody has to write a check". LOL . BTW, is there spell check on this thing????

Don't worry Jim, you spelled "check" right!!! :D

thanks for taking the time to come here and shed some light on the subject. As an outsider I always just figured you were a successful man who was able to go racing full time with the help of sponsors. It should be obvious to anyone that if somebody literally tried to race on their own dime they better have a lot of dimes to last. It seems to me that if I had a few million bucks I would use it keep my family secure for the coming years and not dwindle it away drag racing when there ARE sponsors to be had.

Hey, wait a minute... What are doing here? Get out there and get that sponsor so I can have the pleasure of watching a class act like you race!!!:eek: ;)

I know "funding" is a major subject for some ,but I see about 500 sportsman racers racing at every national event . The expenses that the majority of racers deal with are the same if you are a Pro or a Sportsman:

Transportation , Fuel, Motel, parts, Insurance, Food, etc

Even at the Divisional level it ain't cheap... I only have one Wally, and if I figured out how much it cost me to get it (actually I did!), I'd seriously rethink the "why" I did it.. am I complaining? Hell no! I'm currently not running the LODRS due to building a business of my own, but once things are at the right point, yes I'll be back out there, better than ever.

as far as the "cliche" of the "my crew is working really hard" statement... most Professional crewdogs ARE working their collective tails off.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back