Enders spanks Anderson in the first round! (1 Viewer)

My understanding is if you skip the burnout, pull in and light both bulbs, the timer still would not start till the other car prestaged. The timer did not start till Greg prestaged. He could have taken all the time he wanted if he had not lit the top bulb.

"Erica would have backed up, restaged, and we would of had a race!"

David, as the rules stand, if he would have staged, we'd have a race too. :D Why change the rule for him? He should follow the rules. He knows it now for sure, let's race....

...The timer did not start till Greg prestaged. ...
The Autostart timer did not start until Rick Stewart activated the system once Greg lit his pre-stage bulb.

The starter has to activate the Autostart system. Normally they activate Autostart when both cars are pre-staged.

Is there anyone out there with a current PS license that can weigh in on this deal?

Mark Watkins

My understanding is if you skip the burnout, pull in and light both bulbs, the timer still would not start till the other car prestaged. The timer did not start till Greg prestaged. He could have taken all the time he wanted if he had not lit the top bulb.
That is 100% correct!

I wonder if Greg will attempt to prove a point soon?

By the way, I thought I read on the Mater last year that Rick doesn't actually have control of the lights once the first prestage bulb comes on during staging? That he just does all those "movements" for better TV?

Is there anyone out there with a current PS license that can weigh in on this deal?

Mark Watkins

Once the Third Light is lit, no matter what the order (no Courtesy Stage included) the Autostart system takes over and you have 7 seconds.

This happened to me at Indy 2005 in Q-2 against Ron Krisher. We had a one of the guys on the Team pull me up to the Pre-Stage who had never done it before. He put his foot in the beam, set his distance where he wanted the front tire with his other foot. He pulled his foot from the Pre-Stage Beam, Krisher bumped into his Pre-Stage and when Mike turned towards me his ankle spun into the Pre-Stage Beam. I looked up and said "Oh ____" because I knew I was at least a foot away from Pre-Stage but my light was on. Krisher saw my Pre-Stage Light went in and at that point all 3 were lit, the clock started and as Mike walked off my light went off. I tried to get in but without the Brake Pressure where it needed to be and no Line-Lock set Krisher got the Green and I got the Red. Rick politely pointed at his watch and signaled my guys to push me out. I was upset but we learned something and moved on.

Lesson learned: Cross Training when Testing (practice other jobs) and have Crewmembers where shorter shoes or get smaller feet.

When we are testing I have had other cars play with my mind in the lights. Double Bulb me, leave me sit with my Pre-Stage on, leave before the tree is activated...you never know what might happen.

By the way, I thought I read on the Mater last year that Rick doesn't actually have control of the lights once the first prestage bulb comes on during staging? That he just does all those "movements" for better TV?

He can delay the start, which I believe is what happened with Greg. Saw it somewhere, I thought he had about 9+ seconds total.

Rick can and did delay the start in Norwalk, I believe the total time was 9.5 seconds from when Greg lit the top bulb until the tree activated. That deal with Pat was a bad thing because I don't think Rick realized what had happened, I saw it and thought D*** that ain't good.

Michael

Last edited:
He can delay the start, which I believe is what happened with Greg. Saw it somewhere, I thought he had about 9+ seconds total.
As I noted in my post on the previous page...

The starter has to activate the Autostart system. Once he/she has activated the system the only control they have is to override it.

In most cases, the starters don't activate the Autostart system until both pre-stage lights are lit.

According to what has been reported, Rick Stewart delayed activating the Autostart system 2-2.5 seconds after Greg Anderson lit his pre-stage bulb.

One of the most infamous DQ/timed out happened during qualifing. One year @ Atlanta,all Darrell Alderman had to do was qualify to make the P/S Duel. He ran his teammate,Mark Osborne in the Friday night session. Mark mistakingly double bulbed Darrell and Darrell got timed out and the rest is history. This is correct if my memory isn't gone,ANYBODY?:confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back