Enders spanks Anderson in the first round! (2 Viewers)

I DVR'd the race and didn't get to watch it all until this morning. I guess I'm missing something in the "controversy". Courtesy staging is not required in the Pro categories and the timer starts at 3 bulbs... end of story. Greg extrapolated "take all the time necessary to pre-stage when your opponent double-bulbs" into "take all the time necessary to stage when your opponent double-bulbs". Oh well, sh!t happens and I'm pretty sure that everyone is now fully aware of the rules, lol!

After reading the Comp-Plus write-up on the whole affair I thought these comments were particularly interesting:

(E.E.) “I knew that Greg and Ken Black were both angry,” Enders said. “Greg got out of his car at the finish line and he was talking. He did his interview and I could hear what he was saying. I decided it would be in my best interests to stay next to my car. Greg was not rude to me and even gave me a hug. He told me that he was not mad at me but just didn’t understand what the ruling should have been. They are a classy group of guys and people we look up to and respect.”

And:

(G.A.) “I’m not mad at her,” Anderson said. “I’m sure it was an accident and not done on purpose.... There’s nothing wrong with what she did."

Pretty classy statements by both parties in my opinion. However my favorite quote BY FAR was this one:

(E.E.) “I got ready and went in. I had my head together and waited for him to turn his bulb on. I was going to tree his ass … "

I don't care if you like her or hate her, you just gotta love that!

Last edited:
Just saw it on TV. Is Rick Stewart always that much of an ass? I realize, after Jeff Foster clarified, that Greg was wrong, but the attitude that Rick copped with Ken Black seems out of line. :confused:

And how was he an ass? You only saw what the rest of us did and that was KB in his face showing his lack of understanding of the starting line procedure. I actually thought he showed restraint.

When Mike Dunn, and the Snake disagree with you, you probably need to check yourself. You might be wrong...correct that, you are wrong.

Greg was whining because he screwed up and he knew it.

Oh well, his points lead was 201, and now it's 167. WHOOOOOOPIE!

:rolleyes:

I get the fact that Rick delays the activation and I understand about the printouts. What I am saying and the common understanding amongst most of the pro stock pits was that Rick would not activate the autostart until the second driver started moving towards the stage light. Basically giving them time to set their line lock and moving their head around to see the tree. I'm not saying anyone did anything wrong, I'm simply saying that there was common thinking amongst the pro stock people and also that the starter has the ability to override the autostart. If he doesn't do that then there is no point in even having him up there with the box. Mark Osborne would double bulb people by setting his line lock before moving into the pre-stage like he did to the old man in Englishtown, when WJ pre-staged MO moved in and lit both bulbs and most guys consider that a fair because the other guy has time to set their line lock and then move forward. Seven seconds is plenty of time folks, I get that and Greg could have staged in that 9 seconds he was a lotted and certainly no one is arguing that. I'm stating what most of us understood to be the "UNOFFICIAL" way that is was going to be done by GL and RS.

Michael

Though things may have changed since I was on the starting line, Michael's impression of what was standard procedure is the same as mine.

Though not a hard and fast rule, it was considered pretty aggressive not to courtesy stage - and you expected that the pacing would be different when you did.

Like he said, Iaconio's style was to double light. We all knew that and took it into consideration when lining up against him. It wasn't any sort of break in the procedure.

But if someone else would do it one pass out of a hundred, both you and the starter knew what was going on. It was sort of "Want to play around? OK, we'll play around."

Jeff Foster couldl verify but I'm pretty sure Buster never used the autostart, that it's only been in use since Stewart has been the starter.

Anyhow, now that the rule has been clarified I agree with the other posters that Greg won't do THAT again. Let's face it - at this point the only thing that can keep him from the championship is the Countdown or his own mistakes.

I admire someone who has the ability/brains/talent to dominate to that extent.

Last edited:
I don't understand. Shouldn't it be reasonable to expect that once you light the pre stage bulb you should be able to finish staging in seven seconds? what was his intent? To try and hang Erica out to dry? If Greg wasn't ready why did he pre stage?
Exactly correct here. In fact I watched it over last night and Stewart didn't activate it immediately, he had more than 9 seconds.

Greg better get used to it, he may see a lot of double bulb trees now. :)
It doesn't matter if people double bulb. He can take his time as long as he doesn't light his pre-stage bulb. Once that 3rd bulb is lit is when he has 7 seconds. That is where the confusion is coming into play.

Last edited:
"Dude, you're 201 points ahead in first place, you qualify everytime #1 and win almost every race. Stop freaking crying about it. It doesn't matter."

:D

PERFECT quote!!!

Are we to believe at the end of the season when GA doesn't win another title that THIS will be the one pivitol point in history that cost him his championship?? I think not.

T

Drivers are human and make mistakes. These mistakes can cost them money, a race, or their life. I'm sure Greg will admit he made a mistake,will learn from it, and go on. A small price compared to what can happen. And I bet he doesn't make that mistake again. I tip my hat to him for controlling his temper and acting like the professional he is.

Drivers are human and make mistakes. These mistakes can cost them money, a race, or their life. I'm sure Greg will admit he made a mistake,will learn from it, and go on. A small price compared to what can happen. And I bet he doesn't make that mistake again. I tip my hat to him for controlling his temper and acting like the professional he is.

I agree that people make mistakes Terry, but I hardly believe Greg handled it like a professional. Professional would have been saying "well, I blew it. Everyone disagrees with me and I'm probably wrong" -- not crying about it, and saying that the only way to fix it is to rerun...on National TV nonetheless. I have no idea whether Jason agreed with him or not, or if that's a right statement you need to make to keep your job. It certainly seemed like he hesitated when Gary asked him.

I applaud Greg for not making an idiot of himself by getting angry and berating Rick Stewart and NHRA, but he hardly handled it like a professional in my opinion.

I like GA, but he acted like a baby in the control tower. I was expecting Graham
Light any second to ask him, "do you want your bottle with milk or soy?" :rolleyes:

BTW this is crude humor, I'm not trying to bash him!

Questioning a call when you think you are right is not being nonprofessional. I did not hear him curse, scream, or even raise his voice. He did not throw a helmet, bottle of Poweraid, push,shove,or spit on anyone. All he was asking for was clarification of the rule.

Greg handled it very much like professionsal. He thought he was correct and was only pleading his case. He never once acted imature throughout the ordeal. Obviously, he should not have lit his pre-stage, but I'm sure he knows that now.

I'm reminded of Connolly vs. WJ at Denver, and WJ says something to the fact that he had to school the punk.......there is NOTHING that any driver like WJ or Anderson, Gaines, etc, can teach Jeggie, Connolly, Erica, Stanfield, etc on the starting line...don't mess with a sportsman racer on the tree.

I know every scenario that I may face when I pull up there, and i'm ready for it. You can guarantee that Jeg, DC are the same way.

Just sitting there not wanting to stage isn't the only game that can be played. :D

Does anyone have any idea WHY there are two different rules for the same activity? Sportsman: Courtesy Stage; Pros: No Courtesy Stage?

Seems to me that one rule would be enough. Pick one; tell everyone exactly what it is; and enforce it.

Of course that's just my opinion... I could be wrong!:D

DG

David, in the comp racing it is helpful to some. Unlike the Pro cars, comp has many different setups in their cars, because of the many different classes. Some cars require more time than others. Besides, wouldn't you rather see good racing, instead of a bunch of red light singles, if they were timed out? I know I do.

In Pro classes, their racing cars with the same setups. If your ready, you prestage. Your time doesn't start until you prestage. Of course it's just my opinion too.:D I know that you know this, but you asked....

Last edited:
But...I think we all know how to beat Greg Anderson now. Do a quick quick burnout. Back up really fast. Stage both bulbs before he's done with the burnout. You'll win everytime.

:D

Why bother doing a burnout? Just stage while Greg is doing his burnout. Then you can just cruise to the finish line while he is backing up. Just think of the $$$$ you will save by being easy on parts!!

" a bunch of Red Light singles"...

Exactly my question. If there was courtesy staging the odds on time outs is greatly reduced. Erica would have backed up, restaged, and we would of had a race!:confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back