Enders spanks Anderson in the first round! (1 Viewer)

im a huge huge greg anderson fan, but he was wrong period. i think he knew he was wrong, when erica turned on both bulbs ( which maybe was a mistake on her part mechanicly), he imediatly turned on his first, then his motor never came up. it was like he never tried to put the 2nd bulb on. maybe something was wrong with his car and he tried to play it off. didnt jason say greg was not thinking straight? anyway greg just had a bad weekend, everyone has the right to have 1 a year ;)

i am an anderson fan but this move he made on the line makes no sense. unless he's 110% certain that this rule is written in the book, why the waiting game? What makes it more silly is erica didnt have any kinda car that could run with greg. I guess maybe this is gregs way of givin somebody else a chance to win ! :)

I just counted and once Greg pre-staged it was 13 seconds (give or take my "one-one thousand" counting) until Rick dropped the lights.

Rick doesn't drop the lights...it's all done by auto-start. He merely activates the system.

rule No. 1 of racing is......know the rules

Rick doesn't drop the lights...it's all done by auto-start. He merely activates the system.

rule No. 1 of racing is......know the rules

rick has to flip the switch after two cars are pre staged and one car is staged.
when he flips the switch, then auto start is enabled

Thanks for the explanation, Jeff.

Doesn't matter whether Greg thought the timer was off or not. He still took too long..but if there is ever anyone that can afford a mental lapse..it'd be Greg..LOL

Autostart has been used at all NHRA nationals events since 2001 and has not changed in any way for the Pros's.
At no time is it turned off in any way. At 3 lights the time out timer starts the 7 second countout.
In this case Rick Stewart acctually held the activation of the system till Greg Pre Staged, veiwing the tapes at TV it was 9.5 seconds from Gregs PS to the Red.
I feel for Greg that there was a missunderstanding in their camp about how autostart worked in that situation but has never been as Greg stated.
Also it was not a heated disscution in the tower, as I was part of it Greg and Ken wanted to know why and it was explained. Voices were never raised and no anger showen, they were frustrated but that was understandable. I respect Greg and Ken for their composure in the situation.

Well I know that everyone in the pro stock pits made the same assumption about the autostart being turned off when this happens as long as you stage in a reasonable time, but that would be longer than 9 seconds. I do KNOW that the override has been done more than once. I remember when I worked for Krisher in Brainerd when we raced one of those yellow cars. They did a quick burn out and fast backup, lit both bulbs in their lane before we had even backed up from the burnout. Well I can promise that Krisher took more than 7 seconds to stage and we weren't timed out. I also believe that you are going to see a whole lot more staging games now. Guys are going to do sportsman type burnouts and quickly light both bulbs as much as possible. I don't believe its good for the class but its going to happen with much more regularity now.

Michael

When the first driver turns both bulbs on, the starter will give the other driver plenty of time to pre-stage - that's where the "as long as needed" comes in. Once the second driver pre-stages, he has seven seconds to stage. Sounds like there was some confusion as to what stage of the process was extended when one driver lit both bulbs before the other was pre-staged. As we have seen, both of them can sit in pre-stage as long as the starter puts up with it, but as soon as three bulbs are lit, the seven second timer starts running. Normally the starter activates the system as soon as both are pre-staged, but, as he did today, he can wait for the third bulb and a couple seconds more before flipping the switch and the seven seconds doesn't start until he throws the switch. The reason Graham Light and Jeff could say with certainty that Rick Stewart gave Greg a couple extra seconds is that the starter delay prints on the timing system log when that happens.

I remember back in the day Frank Iaconio used to quick stage and light both bulbs all the time and no one that I was aware of had a problem with it. It was just his routine.

Hold the Phone.. How did she Spank Gregg. She never even ran against him.. lol To SPANK some one you first have to BEAT them to the finish line in a RACE.

shhhhhhhhhh Hint he got Iaconio'd out by the Nintendo System that MR G. Light bulb has hooked up to bring parity to each class..

Just like they are doing in the Fuel Class by Playing with VHT additive to slicken the track.. And you thought you wanted to be a drag racer.. When your be PLAYED by the People who RUN things, for the sake of making a Better SHOW. Then perhaps you need another gane to play. But thats another topic.

The only thing more red than that light, was Greg's cheeks with embarassment after he got told that he was wrong about the rule.

Well I know that everyone in the pro stock pits made the same assumption about the autostart being turned off when this happens as long as you stage in a reasonable time, but that would be longer than 9 seconds. I do KNOW that the override has been done more than once. I remember when I worked for Krisher in Brainerd when we raced one of those yellow cars. They did a quick burn out and fast backup, lit both bulbs in their lane before we had even backed up from the burnout. Well I can promise that Krisher took more than 7 seconds to stage and we weren't timed out. I also believe that you are going to see a whole lot more staging games now. Guys are going to do sportsman type burnouts and quickly light both bulbs as much as possible. I don't believe its good for the class but its going to happen with much more regularity now.

Michael

Just like Jeff stated, you have 7 seconds from the system seeing 3 lights (both prestage and a stage). The starter can delay the activation once the 3 bulbs are lit....in your situation with Krisher, all he needed to do was take his time and do his normal deal....

I get the fact that Rick delays the activation and I understand about the printouts. What I am saying and the common understanding amongst most of the pro stock pits was that Rick would not activate the autostart until the second driver started moving towards the stage light. Basically giving them time to set their line lock and moving their head around to see the tree. I'm not saying anyone did anything wrong, I'm simply saying that there was common thinking amongst the pro stock people and also that the starter has the ability to override the autostart. If he doesn't do that then there is no point in even having him up there with the box. Mark Osborne would double bulb people by setting his line lock before moving into the pre-stage like he did to the old man in Englishtown, when WJ pre-staged MO moved in and lit both bulbs and most guys consider that a fair because the other guy has time to set their line lock and then move forward. Seven seconds is plenty of time folks, I get that and Greg could have staged in that 9 seconds he was a lotted and certainly no one is arguing that. I'm stating what most of us understood to be the "UNOFFICIAL" way that is was going to be done by GL and RS.

Michael

I have a quick question since I don’t have my rulebook in front of me. Is courtesy staging required in any of the pro classes?

I know it is the rule in certain sportsman classes, Super Comp, Super Gas and Comp Eliminator (at least in Division 5). If you “accidentally” roll in and turn on both bulbs, the starter will stop the other car before staging, and make you back up until your stage bulb is off, allowing the other lane to turn on their pre-stage bulb. I’ve seen it happen numerous times.

From the TV it seems like Greg was under the impression that he "he could take as much time as he wanted" 'cause she "double-bulbed". If that were the case, anyone could burn-down the other guy whether they double-bulbed intentionally or by mistake.
Under the circumstances, its a good rule. Maybe it ought to be totally out of the hands of the starter to allow more time or not. Seven seconds - Ten seconds - whatever CONSISTENTLY applied.
One thing is certain: Greg'l never do THAT again!

I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often. Watch the pro stock class its common that the last driver in delays a bit. I would think to get the other driver over anxious.

It was also surprising to see the fan reaction. Not sure if it was pro Erica or anti Greg but the cheer was pretty good when he was timed out.

I remember back in the day Frank Iaconio used to quick stage and light both bulbs all the time and no one that I was aware of had a problem with it. It was just his routine.
YES ! That was Frank's deal. My Dad said when he raced, that was also the way he staged his car. But in both the case of my Dad & Frank Iaconio, it was before 2001 when autostart came into play.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back