Empty NASCAR seats! (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
Entire sections of stands at the Texas race were completely empty, and appeared there were some huge signs covering even more sections. The Coundown over there is a disaster - lot of fans don't like Gordon or Johnson and it's showing. It will be interesting to see what the TV ratings were.
We'll have a clear view of the stands from our spot next week at Phoenix.
The stands have been full for several years - we'll see if the 600 pound gorilla of motorsports is in trouble!

Entire sections of stands at the Texas race were completely empty, and appeared there were some huge signs covering even more sections. The Coundown over there is a disaster - lot of fans don't like Gordon or Johnson and it's showing. It will be interesting to see what the TV ratings were.
The stands have been full for several years - we'll see if the 600 pound gorilla of motorsports is in trouble!

TV ratings are down, down, down... I'm tired of races that don't start until 3:30 in the afternoon! It was on at my house but I was too busy listening to the NHRA audiocast than watching NASCAR. When races started at noon, I didn't miss one. Now I have things to do rather than wait around for it to start.

180,000 people isnt to bad in texas on opening day of deer hunting season. This race will have a new date in 08 or 09.

Friday in Pomona was as slim as I have ever seen. We walked up to the prime sections and sat where we pleased all the way through the Pro session and that is never the case there. I suppose there will be an official count from Glendora that says otherwise however.

Friday in Pomona was as slim as I have ever seen. We walked up to the prime sections and sat where we pleased all the way through the Pro session and that is never the case there. I suppose there will be an official count from Glendora that says otherwise however.

That's just it, there is never an "official count". Can't count how many races I've been to where they announced "record crowds". We wondered where they all must be hiding because it mostly looked like normal crowds that we had seen before...sometimes looked like less. You can do that when you don't have official attendance records.

All this stuff is a luxury........as in entertainment.

The economic horizon is not all that terrific, and even if it were, the publics perception is that it is not.

I think quite a few people either cannot afford it or even if they can they are cautious with their money.

And don't forget Christmas is around the bend.

Another drain on the wallet.:(

I don't think it has anything to do with anything other than that.

REX

NASCAR is sacrificing fans in the stands for TV. Starting that race after 2:00 PM keeps many from driving there, myself included. I wonder how well it did against INDY/NEW England in the ratings?

I'll take a page from Jeff Foxworthy and give one reason why NASCAR fans don't like Gordon: he knows how to enunciate.

NASCAR is sacrificing fans in the stands for TV. Starting that race after 2:00 PM keeps many from driving there, myself included. I wonder how well it did against INDY/NEW England in the ratings?
Probably pretty lousy. I heard on the radio tonight that the overnight rating numbers for that football game were the highest for a regular Sunday afternoon game in 20 years.

Eddie Gossage (Texas Speedway President) has always said the spring race has better attendance than the fall race because the fall race is invariably during Texas deer hunting season. Look for the date to change now that Bruton has control of 2 more dates with the acquisition of Loudon.

Still, any way you slice it, 180,000 people is a big crowd.

The spring race at Talladega has better attendance than the fall race. Hunting season not an excuse there.

That's just it, there is never an "official count". Can't count how many races I've been to where they announced "record crowds". We wondered where they all must be hiding because it mostly looked like normal crowds that we had seen before...sometimes looked like less. You can do that when you don't have official attendance records.

There hasn't been any official counts since Bruton Smith tracks came into the fold. NHRA used to fudge numbers something fierce back in the 90's, but stockholder tracks like Vegas/Bristol/Sonoma they could never do that!

There hasn't been any official counts since Bruton Smith tracks came into the fold. NHRA used to fudge numbers something fierce back in the 90's, but stockholder tracks like Vegas/Bristol/Sonoma they could never do that!

There wasn't "official counts" since long before Bruton came around. Attendance figures were always "estimates". By the way, great pics Joe. Here's an interesting quote I found though:
“We are coming off one of the most successful seasons in NHRA history and anticipate the record-setting attendance figures we witnessed at a majority of our venues in 2007 to continue based on the consistency we have created in the 2008 NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series schedule,” said Tom Compton, president, NHRA.

Even if I wasn't in the woods I still wouldn't have went, Too late a start time and too much $$$$$$, plus it was a wonderful day to grill some burgers and drink some brews, watch a couple of great football games, catch the last laps of NASCAR and watch the Finals in Pomona, much less traffic too.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back