Electric COPO Camaro (1 Viewer)

Tom Slick

Nitro Member
If this is the future of drag racing, or motorsports in general, I'm going fishing. Motorsports is having a rough time these days and electric racers will be the final nail in the coffin in my opinion.

If it replaces our loud and noisy cars, I agree. However if this is an addition I welcome it. It is something different and it is worth a peek. I know I am interested to see how quick and fast it can go and I do not know much about the technology but it is fascinating. It is just like seeing if Big Daddy can break 200 in his electric dragster

If it replaces our loud and noisy cars, I agree. However if this is an addition I welcome it. It is something different and it is worth a peek. I know I am interested to see how quick and fast it can go and I do not know much about the technology but it is fascinating. It is just like seeing if Big Daddy can break 200 in his electric dragster
Great points, and I humbly agree.

it is crazy what electric motors can do. Once the technology comes along they will be faster than a combustion engine, IMO. Look at what performance a Tesla is capable of.

Just like how all the turbos years ago were predicted to kill drag racing because they were quieter than superchargers...
Electric is going to be well suited to drag racing and they are not going to replace loud and noisy ones. It will simply be another branch of the sport, like sport compact, nostalgia or bikes.
The earlier the sport welcomes electric and finds innovative ways for them to go racing the better!

NHRA and Nascar may have to step up and start some form of Electric classes. F1 and MotoGp have them , im not a huge fan but with all the tree huggers around it may be the next form of racing.

NHRA and Nascar may have to step up and start some form of Electric classes. F1 and MotoGp have them , im not a huge fan but with all the tree huggers around it may be the next form of racing.
It's not a case of tree huggers getting into cars, it's simply what is available to consumers.
Right now the Tesla is the second quickest 0-60mph vehicle available, second only to the Porsche 918 Spyder (which is a hybrid and was also only a limited run). The Tesla is $133,000, vs the Spyder's $845,000. There's nothing close to the Tesla in price until you get well down the list.
I'm not particularly mechanically savvy and would have a hard time keeping a fast muscle car running, that makes the Tesla massively appealing.

As Jim notes, noise is a major problem for drag strips closing down. Imagine 20, 30 years from now when electric is more common if a drag strip could remain profitable by running events that consisted of only electric vehicles, and then maybe could get permits for a select few noisy events. For those of us who like the loud stuff (all of us here I think), electric may help keep it around!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_cars_by_acceleration

I don't have enough knowledge to determine if electric cars are actually greener than gas cars. I know there's no free lunch, so how clean is the process to power up batteries? Having said that, if race cars were to become 100% electric, IMO, racing would die as a spectator sport. Not as a participant sport, since they can be really fast. And while turbo cars are quieter than blower cars, they are still a helluva lot louder than electric cars. I'm not really a fan, but don't mind if they're in the mix.

It actually could be great for our sport. Add a class and cars. They could then be run after the noise curfew at the tracks that have them. :p

It's not a case of tree huggers getting into cars, it's simply what is available to consumers.
Right now the Tesla is the second quickest 0-60mph vehicle available, second only to the Porsche 918 Spyder (which is a hybrid and was also only a limited run). The Tesla is $133,000, vs the Spyder's $845,000. There's nothing close to the Tesla in price until you get well down the list.
I'm not particularly mechanically savvy and would have a hard time keeping a fast muscle car running, that makes the Tesla massively appealing.

As Jim notes, noise is a major problem for drag strips closing down. Imagine 20, 30 years from now when electric is more common if a drag strip could remain profitable by running events that consisted of only electric vehicles, and then maybe could get permits for a select few noisy events. For those of us who like the loud stuff (all of us here I think), electric may help keep it around!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_cars_by_acceleration
i wasnt speaking about tree huggers getting into cars, but if they are against them and race tracks w noise and pollution electric may be the wave of the future.

I know a electronic Geek and he said they are light years away from making a dependable battery.

I know a electronic Geek and he said they are light years away from making a dependable battery.

For what?

I hope this isn’t the future of our sport.

It's not the future, it's a future. Just like sport compact didn't replace the whole sport with four cylinders, electric won't replace internal combustion. It will simply be another arm in a sport. I think the future strength of drag racing lies in variety.

Electric cars don't mean the end to loud internal combustion cars. Why is it when one electric vehicle gets some press a bunch of people get their panties in a bunch thinking the NHRA is going to dump traditional internal combustion powered cars in favor of electric? You people need to get a grip on reality. The sanctioning bodies know where their money comes from, and it comes from loud, fuel burning cars. Big Daddy, one of the biggest names in the sport, has garnered little more than passing interest with his electric dragster. You don't see DSR, JFR or any of the other fuel teams working on electric combos do you?

That COPO is interesting, it indeed qualifies as a hot rod and I'd like to see an electric class - but it's delusional to think that they'll replace internal-combustion engines in auto racing. The sport will die first....won't it, Alexandria?

The COPO Electric car just ran 9.837 ET at 134.07 MPH on their second pass here!

Hmmm, so they put the Lectric in Stock. It goes some rounds and then they start hot lapping. How many runs can it make on one charge? Would they swap batteries between rounds? That could get interesting. I saw the first pass this car made at Wild Horse, & it did make a good impression with the wheels up launch & smokey burnouts. It was just so quiet. The motor does make a whine noise, so maybe they could put speakers on it and amplify the noise...... heh heh Be interesting to see what happens with this type of car. I know these motors have power. I ride the lite rail here in Phoenix, & am always impressed at how fast that big, heavy train can take off.

The COPO is getting a lot of notice by the media. I'm pretty sure that Ford & MoPar are watching this. So.... maybe another heads up Electric Eliminator? Maybe Tesla & some other brands could get in on it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back