Is NHRA out of touch? (1 Viewer)

Come on now. How about all the new fans that came with the countdown? Oh, wait.....nevermind.

What do you mean Barry? If it wasn't for the countdown we could just pencil in a Force car.

Position Driver Points
1 John Force 1219 -0 -
2 Robert Hight 1191 -28

We could just pencil one in anyways. Ashley would be #3 if it wasn't for ......
"fill in the blank"

What do you mean Barry? If it wasn't for the countdown we could just pencil in a Force car.

Position Driver Points
1 John Force 1219 -0 -
2 Robert Hight 1191 -28

We could just pencil one in anyways. Ashley would be #3 if it wasn't for ......
"fill in the blank"

We've done that for the most part the last 20 years or so anyway, haven't we? I'm not a Force fan by any means, but you know what? If they had the best year, they still deserve the championship. What I mean is....where are these new fans that this points system was supposed to bring in? I guess without the countdown, there wouldn't be anybody in the stands?

If you want to see a huge crowd at the drag races and all of them young people, you just need to attend some of the grudge race motorcycle drag races such as M.I.R / Rock, etc. The whole "no bar" motorcycle drag racing scene is young people.

They relate to Hayabusas and GSXR1000, not to fake plastic sedans, no matter how loud they are.

They will show up if you give them something they want to see.

They will show up if you give them something they want to see.

Point well taken and very true indeed. Problem is, how do you incorporate Facebook, Twitter, Grand Theft Auto IV and the latest I-phone into drag racing? Because that's about all 21st century young people care about. You could parade some of the latest backup girls (Diehl, Bode) in front of Best Buy and they'd knock 'em out of the way trying to get to the phones. Used to be, talk of a ride in someone's new GTO, GTX, GT-whatever, was a really big deal. Now it's the latest app on your buddy's Droid.

The whole world's goin' to hell, I tell ya...:eek:

Point well taken and very true indeed. Problem is, how do you incorporate Facebook, Twitter, Grand Theft Auto IV and the latest I-phone into drag racing? Because that's about all 21st century young people care about. You could parade some of the latest backup girls (Diehl, Bode) in front of Best Buy and they'd knock 'em out of the way trying to get to the phones. Used to be, talk of a ride in someone's new GTO, GTX, GT-whatever, was a really big deal. Now it's the latest app on your buddy's Droid.

The whole world's goin' to hell, I tell ya...:eek:

I believe in Led Zeppelin's movie "The Song Remains the Same" they filmed Bonham in a drag race at Santa Pod. Been done once, can be done again.

May be we can get a famous "singer" from today to do something like that.
Oh wait, they might get a little greasy doing so...

I believe in Led Zeppelin's movie "The Song Remains the Same" they filmed Bonham in a drag race at Santa Pod. Been done once, can be done again.

Even the music business is much different from what is was in the 60's & 70's.

And that was shot, in what, '73 or '75.... bands, TV, even movies all thought drag racing was groovy, boss, the hot lick... back then...

Then two major things happened in the late seventies, fuel cars no longer had to run divisional races for points, so for the most part, no 'local' fuel, and 'National Events' started to multiply like yeast. One more thing, NHRA decided they wanted to be track owners as well as the sanctioning body.

ya gotta remember, each generation has it's thing, JFR calls the Kids 'The Next Generation', maybe it's time Glendora understands that those running the "show" are two generations removed from tomorrow's potential new fan base, and one removed my grown kids, all who liked it when they were young, even know who today's 'Stars' are, but are turned off by today's 30 second winner's commercial.

d'kid

I think Glendora is more worried about paying for their mortgages and Bentleys than caring about the financial welfare of the racers, the fans and the sport in general. As far as attracting new fans, they had an opportunity with the sport compact series to bring in a new generation of fans. But like the Pro Stock Trucks, they gave up on it. NHRA essentially has no marketing/promotions department to speak of. The only time I see commercials for an upcoming race is during coverage of the current event on ESPN2. Another aspect is that people just don't have the extra money to spend on $50 tickets. Prices have steadliy ascended while the interest has simply flattened, or in some cases reduced. Racers are not without fault, a majority of them stay holed up in their haulers while fans stand patiently at the ropes just looking for an autograph. That being said, I do know and understand that drivers have a lot more responsibilities than they did 5,10,15 years ago. But, it's not going to hurt them to spare 5 minutes in-between meetings to sign for the fans, and it would look good for their sponsor or would be sponsor to see their driver being wanted like that. When fans start walking away from the trailers with the look of disappointment, that's a bad sign. Remember the tag line "Every ticket is a Pit Pass"? Try your luck at a NASCAR or IndyCar race, your lucky to get a picture of a driver walking by, and that's if your fortunate enough to get pit access. Essentially, the NHRA has done a horrible job at reaching out to new fans, they've done just as much damage to themselves by doing nothing as NASCAR has done by changing everything. From a technology stand point, NHRA had a golden opportunity to bring in EFI and alternative fuels before anyone else. But, like usual, they screwed that up too. The television package is a 50/50 situation, sure more people have a better opportunity to tune in and see qualifying and eliminations than ever before. But, when it's regulary pre-empted, those would be fans and some existing ones don't bother to stick around, sometimes for an hour or more, waiting. Personally, I'd love to see how another network, perhaps SPEED, would present the NHRA. But, with an exclusive contract with ESPN2, that won't be taking place anytime soon. As for todays kids not being interested in cars, I don't see it. I think they're just as interested, but it's a different approach. Most are interested in the celebrity aspect of cars, i.e. rims, body kits, sound systems, interiors, lowered, ect. All show and no go. Obviously this doesn't work in racing, as the point is to defeat your opponent. I don't think nostaglia is the answer either, those cars are aimed at fans that were around back in the day. Or if you can think of it like this, how many kids of today are truely interested in an Old Timers game?

Since Jeff Burk knows all the answers to saving the NHRA from it's imminent demise, I'd love to hear his Ten Point Plan for saving Professional Drag racing???

Drag racing is like a little kid baseball game.
kids would play ball all day long with no troubles.
Then a adult watch and said the kids need rules.
Well, now a days you don't see kids playing a game of pick up ball.
Too many rules.
Same thing happened to Drag racing.

Last edited:
Drag racing is like a little kid baseball game.
kids would play ball all day long with no troubles.
Then a adult watch and said the kids need rules.
Will, now a days you don't see kids playing a game of pick up ball.
Too many rules.
Same thing happened to Drag racing.

How about this:
I got a wooden bat. My bat breaks. Everyone else is using aluminum bats.
I ain't got no money cause the economy sucks. Should I put screws in my wood bat and look like a jagoff or just play catch with the other not so fortunate.:rolleyes:

I have been a fan since I was in elementary school......I don't get the dragster anymore. I don't watch it on TV because ESPN2 is a commercial feed into places like pubs in Canada. I think there is a channel at 2 am to watch it........not going to happen at that hour.

I think NHRA has become so corporate that it has no personality anymore. The "next generation" (Forces words) is going to have a tough time with that because they have never had to do the things their fathers did with no money.

I have been a crewchief for a longtime in the alcohol ranks....... I think the paying customer has been forgotten in lots of areas. I am lucky as Mission is my home track. We do have lots of spectators but not so much in the 16-30 year old demographic.

It is so sad, that the spectator turn out at some divisional events we travel to is almost nothing. Everyone needs a financially healthy race track and that happens by putting fans, which means financial activity into the stands.

Everyone needs to look at how we can attract fans.....then if we can increase it, how does that financially impact tracks, racers and NHRA.

I really think NHRA and its board is out of touch with the demographics. I would love to read their 5 year strategic plan.......sad that the members signed away the governance to the board and now it is really a different entity that is not accountable to the members.

I understand boards ....... NHRA needs to look a threats to their organization. Grey hairs can help you or hurt you depending on their outlook.

Sooner or later, a new sanctioning body will take off and make the customer happy. I see that customer being a 3 way partnership. Fans, racers and tracks.

What I find really strange is drag racing or motorsports in general has hard time attracting fans yet games like darts are on espn and crowds just to watch a darts game are crazy and they are all yelling with banners and everything. Its like the sports you would think would have smaller crowds have huge crowds and the sports you would think would have big crowds have small crowds.

sometimes u hav 2 take a step back 2 move 2 steps forward, little common sense goes a long way in any business, and i hav learned some of the best advice comes from the strangest places or people:eek:

What I find really strange is drag racing or motorsports in general has hard time attracting fans yet games like darts are on espn and crowds just to watch a darts game are crazy and they are all yelling with banners and everything.

Sports like darts, bowling, etc, are popular because average people can participate in those sports themselves and have identify with the people playing in tournaments, etc.

Jim

When I was young, I was exposed to the nuts and bolts of autos because my neighbor worked on his cars. I think this is something that has been stated before in this thread: people are not used to cars other than as a method of transportation and/or as a status symbol. I don't have children but I made sure I took my nephews to the races just to give them that exposure.

I think it's just the tough economic situation more than anything !

ADRL can fill up the bleachers with free tickets when the weather co operates !

I have been preaching taking young kids and their friends to the local track when you can !
The kids are the future of our sport and they have to be exposed early as many of us were .

Just for the heck of it, here's some of my ideas for changing NHRA...for what it's worth, which isn't much.

1. Get rid of the the suits that came from the dog food company and know nothing of drag racing or its history.

2. Stop making every sponsor "The Official _____ of NHRA" and not allow a competitor to sponsor cars in the sport.

3. Change the testing ban so cars and run booked-in races and make extra money, then perhaps allowing more cars to run more events.

4. Notice that there aren't many butts in the seats and lower the admission prices (should have been a no brainer).

5. Lower the suits salaries, which are way too high for the knowledge they have.

6. Make each track conform to the same standard for sand traps and netting.

7. Get some employees in place who actually understand drag racing. Drag racing facilities don't run like a normal business, nor should they be advertised that way.

8. Get rid of the ESPN coverage and Paul Page and get a network where you have SET air time. Get announcers who have lots of knowledge that can have fun with the coverage.

9. Listen to you racers, many of whom have engineering degrees and are much smarter than most of the suits. Let them help create solutions to problems without the knee-jerk reactions we usually get, most of which do nothing but cost the racers more money without really solving the problem.

OK, off my sopa-box. Fire away!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back