Electric COPO at Wild Horse (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Was at Wild Horse drags in Phoenix today for a Sportsman race. Team Hancock & Lane out of Washington state were there and they had a 2019 Camaro COPO Electric car. Had wheelie bars and one 'chute. Blue in color with like "lightning bolts", for lack of a better term, on the hood. So asked how fast can this thing go? We think 9.90's they said. OK, so first pass in the morning. They seemed to have trouble doing a burnout, had to try 3 times on first pass. It was like they couldn't get the car properly in the water box. Finally got a nice smokey and lined it up. Wheels up launch past 60' and ran 10.14 at 130 MPH. Whoa....I think this thing can go 9.90's. Second pass late in the afternoon. Same burn out problems, never got tires to really smoke. Car kinda layed down on the run, like not much power or? 11.89 ET at 112 MPH. This time I could hear the whir of the electric motor as it did the burn out, but real quiet going down the track. Did notice a guy in a white lab coat taking photos. Wonder if it was a Chevy tech? Anyhoo, it was interesting to see this car. Thing has power. I think they just have to sort it out. Hancock & Lane is a killer team, Comp & S/S and Stk, so they would be a good choice to run this car. I left after the 2nd pass, so don't know if they made a 3rd run.

How this will all play out is a question mark but it's not if it is going to happen but when!
This may be the future of drag racing like it or not.

Just my opinion.
Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com
If it is it will be tough to swallow.
Chevy just let out ainfo on new big block motor, sorry dont know how to share it on phone maybe another matter will see it share it. Good news.

I have to admit the car is impressive. But how much, motors, batteries, replacement cost, my guess is too much that's why electric motor cars didn't make it in the early 1900s. The cost of fossil fuel is coming down, US is #1 exporter in world and gas engines are more efficient than ever before. My guess manufacturers will over produce because people will not buy them, they will be too expensive.

How this will all play out is a question mark but it's not if it is going to happen but when!
This may be the future of drag racing like it or not.

Just my opinion.
Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

If they want electric drag racing, then why don't they just put electrified metal strips and a slot down the track?

Electric cars go just about as far as they did in 1900....they difference is they go faster so they end up further :p

Why is it when someone sees or hears of an electric drag car, they seem to assume that it's the downfall of internal combustion engines in drag racing? These cars will never replace top fuel or fuel funny cars. You won't see electric pro mods replacing the current versions. They are simply giving the electric cars a place to run. No different than propane or diesel power, just allowing some innovative thinking.

Cliff, the next time you're at the track, I want you to look for the usually lonely looking photographer with the long-ish hair and beard, stop him and introduce yourself because that's me. I've got a couple of pictures of the COPO, plus the Ferrari 812 Superfast, and yes they made a third run.

Hi Chris. I think I saw you by the starting line, pit side. OK, I'll look you up. Probably be out there for the national race. BTW, what did the electric COPO run on pass #3?

Why is it when someone sees or hears of an electric drag car, they seem to assume that it's the downfall of internal combustion engines in drag racing? These cars will never replace top fuel or fuel funny cars. You won't see electric pro mods replacing the current versions. They are simply giving the electric cars a place to run. No different than propane or diesel power, just allowing some innovative thinking.
Because how much longer can the nhra get away w burning nitro before the tree huggers coming marching in. How long before tracks are closed because of fumes. Its sad and im not 100% for it but may be the future. Looking at racing on a whole, how much longer can manufacturers dump millions into racing programs while the bottom line and jobs starts going south, investors will be going crazy. Electric may help feed the cause to the board rooms.

Do you remember that once NHRA did a study on running mufflers on nitro cars? Nothing came of it, but they did run mufflers on some Super classes.

Nitromethane fumes really help mitigate my wife's allergy symptoms. True story. We are running our little bracket dragster at Bakersfield a few years years ago and parked next to us was a nostalgia T/F team getting ready for their upcoming Woodstock (The March Meet). They lit the car off in the pits and nitro fumes wafted over our area. My wife turned to me and said, "my allergies are gone." An our later, once the nitro fumes dispersed, the allergy symptoms returned.

This is a pretty cool electric car as well, it regularly runs the Division 6 trail. A little Googling will bring up a ton of info.
Alan

Nitromethane fumes really help mitigate my wife's allergy symptoms. True story. We are running our little bracket dragster at Bakersfield a few years years ago and parked next to us was a nostalgia T/F team getting ready for their upcoming Woodstock (The March Meet). They lit the car off in the pits and nitro fumes wafted over our area. My wife turned to me and said, "my allergies are gone." An our later, once the nitro fumes dispersed, the allergy symptoms returned.
Same thing happens to me ;) After one hour, I need another hit............

If they want electric drag racing, then why don't they just put electrified metal strips and a slot down the track?

Electric cars go just about as far as they did in 1900....they difference is they go faster so they end up further :p

Don't bet on that. I'm as big of a fan of throaty V8s as much as anyone, and even I'll say that EVs have come a long way.

Tesla's top models all have 300+ mile range and their new roadster is going to have an estimated 600 mile range. The only hurdles left to clear are charge times and availability of charging stations. It makes we wonder why a company like Tesla hasn't made a deal with a gas station brand to put a row of charging stations next to their gas pumps, especially in the service plazas that's placed on major highways. Besides that, they need to reduce charging times. Even if you use Tesla's "supercharger" stations it still takes around 30-something minutes to top off. If they can half that, it would be ideal.

This is a pretty cool electric car as well, it regularly runs the Division 6 trail. A little Googling will bring up a ton of info.
Alan

Cool, cmom Alan, nhra has to be engaging with some teams regarding exhibition cars, may be the new prostock? F1 and MotoGp have series dedicated to it, may also grab the attention of new nhra customers

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back