Drag racing writing (1 Viewer)

Speed1288

Nitro Member
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some direction and possible help in getting into writing about the sport. I've done some reporting on the D1 series a few years ago. I've been told by a majority of my professors that I have a real talent for writing. I have a real knowledge for the history of the sport and a passion for it. If anyone has any information or can help point me in the right direction that would be great, thank you in advance.

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some direction and possible help in getting into writing about the sport. I've done some reporting on the D1 series a few years ago. I've been told by a majority of my professors that I have a real talent for writing. I have a real knowledge for the history of the sport and a passion for it. If anyone has any information or can help point me in the right direction that would be great, thank you in advance.
Jon Asher for one..I would even hit Wilbur up at Wilks blog on NHRA..Burgess at the same place. Always loved Cole Coonce: Cole Coonce

Don't know if advice is more important than just letting it roll, Man.

There are so many to look up to..Bob Frey, Brett Kepner..they all have a knack. And I'm even leaving out DRO and Comp Plus.

I have to admit that Chris Martin was one of my all time favorites..he just rocked.

Jon Asher for one..I would even hit Wilbur up at Wilks blog on NHRA..Burgess at the same place. Always loved Cole Coonce: Cole Coonce

Don't know if advice is more important than just letting it roll, Man.

There are so many to look up to..Bob Frey, Brett Kepner..they all have a knack. And I'm even leaving out DRO and Comp Plus.

I have to admit that Chris Martin was one of my all time favorites..he just rocked.

What David said....

There are several GREAT people who are more than willing to help somebody start out. I would NEVER had anything published or have no chance do what I loved to do without their assistance. The growth and continued success of our 'little niche sport' depends on the cultivation of young, talented writers (like yourself) who share a passion for Drag Racing.

Good luck to you in your pursuit of chasing a dream....:cool:

You might want to consider setting up your own blog space devoted strictly to the sport. The best resume you can have is published work, even if you are the publisher.

Here is a piece of advice: What magazines and websites do you _love_ reading? Those are the mastheads you want your name on. Pitch those publication's editors on some story ideas. Make sure the editors can find examples of your D1 work online.

Voila! (!)

One last bit of counsel: Remember the words of Charles Bukowski: "You don't choose writing. Writing chooses you."

If you think those words are applicable to you, go forth and prosper, young man.

I'm not necessarily looking to make a career or even make any money from it. I just love the sport and figure since it's such a big part of my life and im around it so much I could do some more writing about it. I read all the major sites NHRA.com, Comp Plus, Drag Racing Online etc. on a frequent basis.

Hey man, Uncle Cole has some sound advice there as did Bob.

Seems like you current mind set is perfect for a personal blog. Once you get hooked on that and perhaps develop a following, you can really get rolling in whatever direction you want.

My $.02 -- hang out at your local track, spot some cool cars, get the owners story and zap photos. People love cool car features with neato personal stories behind them. Virtually every guy who busts his ass all week and wrenches on his own stuff at the track can tell an awesome and inspiring story.

Anyway, take it in any direction you choose kid...the world's your oyster!

Writing stuff has brought me to places and introduced me to people and things that I only dreamed about as a kid, and I suck at it. :)

Brian

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back