Article research help, best and worst moments (1 Viewer)

PJ

Staff Member
Staff member
Administrator
Nitro Member
As some of you know I write for bleacherreport.com (Article Archives - Bleacher Report)

They mainly have me writing for the NHL and Detroit Red Wings. I am trying to get them to increase the drag racing coverage on the site.

They are big on list and best/worst type of stories. I am working on a best and worst moments in NHRA history. They would be in separate articles. A moment can be anything; an entire event, a pass, a deal, behind the scenes..anything.

I have a pretty good list for both but wanted to see if anyone had something to add.
So what do you think are the best or worst in NHRA history?
(and no Paul the countdown isn't #1 on my worst list :D ) Also the worst isn't meant to be a bash on nhra, bad things happen that are not under their control so think big,

Thanks for the help and insight.

RJR with Winston brand makes NHRA a major american motorsports series,
enjoys a 27 year (thanks j.a.) relationship

Last edited:
Re-factoring the Mopar Pro Stocks weight back in the seventies. Basicly put Chrysler out of contention. Wally Parks even told Ronnie Sox years later that was a mistake.

Allowing Corporate America to dictate rules. IE: (EXAMPLE) Currently you could not run a Pepsi Sponsored Funny Car.

Not working with IHRA for the beterment of the sport.

Banning the use of Nitro from 57 to 64. Bad
Anytime a driver walks away from a very bad wreck. Good
Anytime a driver does not walk away from a very bad wreck. Bad
The inclusion of the Funny Cars into there own Pro. class. Good
Same for Pro Stock cars. Good
The thousands of hours of enjoyment drag racing has brought to me since 1958. PRICELESS:D

........GOOD................................................................BAD............................
new (blue) stage lights ___________________________T-stops
1,000 ft nitro _____________________________Weight breaks in PRO bike
Auto shut off system___________________________12 car Fri. qual.
Pro-Mod class___________________________________test ban
SS/AH_______________________________________yes, the CD system
Doing away with P/S weight breaks_____________16 car pro limits at Natl's
__________________________________________droping P/S truck class

Last edited:
Sorry, John Farr, but you are incorrect about a Pepsi-backed Funny Car. The only type of sponsorship that can’t be accepted is one from an energy drink company, as Full Throttle is listed in that category.

Prior to Full Throttle sports drinks like Gatorade weren’t allowed while POWERade was the sponsor.

While you’d be ALLOWED to have a Pepsi sponsorship, getting decent coverage for it might be a struggle with National Dragster and possibly the TV shows as well.

Also, please be realistic, John. IHRA and NHRA were competitors chasing the same spectator dollars. Does GM work with Ford? Not likely.

I said “were” because at this point IHRA is a sanctioning organization in name only.

Only we (along with thousands of others) care about drag racing, really CARE. The rest, or at least most of the rest of ‘em are only in it for the money.

Jon Asher

Mr. Asher is right. Add to my bad list...all exclusive contracts.
Our sport is sponsor backed, to ban a potential sponsor is nuts.

Mr. Farr is correct about working with instead of against IHRA. It would be better for the sport, and both NHRA + IHRA.

Bernstein's 300MPH pass at Gainesville.

The advent of the modern-day Top Fuel RED and Garlits' involvement.

Famous feuds. McEwen/Prudhomme. Kalitta/Muldowney. Bazemore/pick one.

Force's 15 national championships. Ya, we all know about them, but the majority of the public doesn't even know who John Force is.

I'm not sure that stories of NHRA's worst moments to people outside the world of drag racing is a real good idea in the first place. Interesting/controversial, sure, but not a highlight reel of bad accidents and such.

Thanks for all the comments. Feel free to add more.

Sorry, John Farr, but you are incorrect about a Pepsi-backed Funny Car. The only type of sponsorship that can’t be accepted is one from an energy drink company, as Full Throttle is listed in that category.

Prior to Full Throttle sports drinks like Gatorade weren’t allowed while POWERade was the sponsor.

While you’d be ALLOWED to have a Pepsi sponsorship, getting decent coverage for it might be a struggle with National Dragster and possibly the TV shows as well.

Also, please be realistic, John. IHRA and NHRA were competitors chasing the same spectator dollars. Does GM work with Ford? Not likely.

I said “were” because at this point IHRA is a sanctioning organization in name only.

Only we (along with thousands of others) care about drag racing, really CARE. The rest, or at least most of the rest of ‘em are only in it for the money.

Jon Asher

Jon, I stand corrected. But you did get the gist of what I meant, I just used the wrong example. It is my understanding that the Army has a similar arrangement also.

Sponsors are needed, competion is good for business and the sport.

GM & Ford do work together occasionally for the standardization of some systems.
So why does Super Comp = Quick Rod OR Super Gas = Super Rod When Top Dragster/Sportsman is Top Dragster/Sportsman in both sanctioning bodies. There's an example of working together. It just confuses what little spectators we have on both sides of the fence.

IHRA puts on two day divisionals, Saving racers lots of time and money. NHRA should look at that. AS well as NHRA does things IHRA should look at also.

But as you stated: "Only we (along with thousands of others) care about drag racing, really CARE. The rest, or at least most of the rest of ‘em are only in it for the money."

John Farr, you are partially correct about the Army deal. In exchange for the sponsorship of the Youth & Education Services program the Army was granted the exclusive right to gather the names of potential recruits at the track. That sponsorship is estimated to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $350,000, but I can’t and won’t swear to that.

This is an EXCEPTIONALLY advantageous deal for the Army. What they pay for the YES program is a pittance out of their budget, and every single benefit goes to them, NOT the NHRA.

For example, due to federal edicts, no military recruiters are allowed to show up at any public school in a military vehicle, i.e., a Humvee or even some sort of tracked vehicle. The fear was that a naïve young person might be influenced by seeing the “cool” military vehicle. BUT, during the YES programs at the NHRA events they can “show” those potential recruits anything from an up-armored Humvee to an A-10 Warthog. They can demonstrate their climbing wall. They can do literally anything they want, WHICH THEY CANNOT DO AT A PUBLIC SCHOOL.

The end result of the exclusivity in name gathering is that despite NHRA’s vocal protests that they aren’t keeping out any other branch of the military, no other branch wants to get involved. Trust me on this – several racers have gotten very close to deals, but each and every time the fact that they couldn’t gather names killed the deals at the highest levels.

Military recruiters aren’t stupid. They know they’re not going to sign someone up in the pits. It’s not going to happen without a home visit so they can assure the kid’s mother that he won’t come home in a body bag. If they can’t gather names for that follow-up visit, why make a $3M investment just to have their name and logo on a car?

I have written about this before in more than one blistering editorial, which NHRA conveniently ignores.

This is an absolute win-win deal for the Army and a lose-lose deal for NHRA.

What happens when the Army decides to try something else and bails on Schumacher and the NHRA? My concern is that the other branches of the military won’t come aboard because they might be thinking, Hey, if this stuff wasn’t good enough for the Army, it’s not good enough for the Air Force/Navy/Marines/Coast Guard either.

But let’s hope I’m wrong and a flood of military-backed teams suddenly appear.

As far as IHRA is concerned, I think a lot of us would have liked to see them become a truly viable alternative to NHRA. Not to hurt NHRA, but just to be there as somewhere else to race. But that didn’t happen because of the way IHRA did things. Their current program of “national events” appears to be a joke, and my understanding from sources that should know suggests they’re hemorrhaging money. One wonders how long Feld will hold onto this moribund property. My understanding is that they had less than 200 cars for last weekend’s “national event” in Martin, Michigan.

There’s also no question that the unspoken animosity that once existed between NHRA and IHRA was a negative for NHRA. For example, they had to be “forced” into accepting scheduled professional qualifying sessions. NHRA didn’t want to do it because it was an IHRA concept. The Media Department actually forced their hand when the then head guy told management, “Right now when the Indianapolis Star calls and asks me what time Don Garlits is going to run I have to tell them, ‘Any time between eight in the morning and six in the evening.’ When they hear that they don’t come out. If I could give them a SPECIFIC time when all the pros are going to run, they’ll be here – with a photographer.”

Jon Asher

Jon, All very good points that I agree with you on.

I don't think Feld will sell it though. It's better then his circus.

In a circus, You have to pay the Lions, Tigers, Trapese artists and THE Clowns.

At the IHRA National, He still pays the Lions (Top Fuel), Tigers (NFC) the Trapese artists (Pro Fuel) BUT THE CLOWNS PAY HIM (Sportsman Racers):eek:

As far as worst moments...the Wayne County "break in" and ensuing controversy has to be up there. I also believe the abrupt pro Stock Truck cancellation and lawsuit is a pretty bad moment in the history of NHRA.

Best; Wouldn't have know it back then, I think it was 1962, but the inception of the AFX class. Didn't the Big 3 Automobile manufacturers get involved in Drag Racing through this class? Race on Sunday, buy on Monday.

Best / Worst
Advent of the super tracks / Conditions at Firebird, Indy, Seattle
National events with all classes / Nationals without Alcohol &/Comp
Nighttime qualifying / One lane race tracks.
Bob Frey, Alan Reinhart... / The Sports Magic/Powerade/Geico buffoons.
Every ticket is a pit pass

S/F
D

Last edited:
Not sure if you could get it down to a specific moment in time, but considering you'd be writing for the basic casual sports fan, that you'd want to mention about the ability for everyday fans to participate in the sport. Most FTDRS tracks allow street cars to be raced at certain times during season. You can go to Indy on a summer night in June, pay a few bucks, and run your 18 second Buick LaSabre on the same track that John Force drives on. You can't do that at Talledaga where Dale Jr. races (I don't think anyways), and you and your son just can't go play catch on the field at Cowboys Stadium, and you and your buddies just can't show up at United Center in Chicago where the Bulls play, for a friendly game of HORSE. Golf is the one sport I can think of that compares to drag racing in this regard.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back