Drag Racing & Leadership Take Overs In The Middle East (1 Viewer)

n/a

Nitro Member
With all of the continued, and spreading turmoil in the middle east (in particular baharain), how do you think this will this affect drag racing sponsorships here in the states and over there?

Larry

I didn't really like all the foreign money coming into the sport anyway.

Last time I made that statement I got accused of racism, just to be clear its nationalism, not racism.

Drag racing is a uniquely American sport and I didn't like seeing it get put up for bid as a personal play area to the guys with the biggest oil deposits.

To me... It looks like this could blow up over there where all of the shieks and kallids of the middle east will be running for cover... maybe they'll get out out with their swiss bank accounts or maybe they won't.

I wouldn't have gotten involved with them either.

Larry

Paul, get the f.ck outta here with that nationalist BS!! And Drag Racing is uniquely American. Sure it started in America, but it has a strong and long history in many countries. So what if a new country wants to come and play. In short you're basically saying you'd rather just Americans to play in the sandbox?

Drag Racing is a worldwide sport just like baseball is. Both are American in their origination but they've caught on all over the world. The Middle East isn't the only other area of the world getting in on drag racing. Many places in Europe and Australia have a big racing presence.

Michael, the language!!

At 2,200+ posts I'm sure you have a lot to say... But I believe others (like myself) are allowed an opinion, whether it agrees with you or not.

My orig. post was only meant to ask What would happen to the Teams here in the U.S. that are sponsored by this middle eastern money?

Larry

To me... It looks like this could blow up over there where all of the shieks and kallids of the middle east will be running for cover... maybe they'll get out out with their swiss bank accounts or maybe they won't.

Well the Swiss locked down Mubarack's money so I would guess the rest of the tyrants will be SOOL also. Dictators don't fare well when their term expires.

.............My orig. post was only meant to ask What would happen to the Teams here in the U.S. that are sponsored by this middle eastern money?

Larry
Probably the same thing that happened to the teams that were sponsored by Western Auto, Fruit of the Loom, Smoking Joes/Winston, Skoal, Monster Energy, Budweiser, Miller Beer, Torco Racing Fuels, etc., etc., etc................

Sponsors have always come in and out of sports, they usually stay around for as long as it is beneficial to their programs, then move on. race teams either find a replacement sponsor, run out of their own pockets or fold up their tent.;)

Last edited:
don't confuse dictatorships with monarchies which most of the middle east
arab nations are; they are not likely to change
qatar is alanabi racing - qatar just hosted an int'l. film festival, will host
2022 world cup, has hosted int'l. tennis tournaments, and has let the USA
use airfields for middle east missions, etc......progressive would be a good word
in regard to your question; IMO any change in qatar based drag racing activities
will not be effected by any current social uprising, which at the
moment none are reported within qatar.

The Qatar money for drag racing is going away anyway when they have to get serious about setting up the world cup ... they are on the hook for about 20 billion dollars worth of stadiums ... not to mention all of the other infrastrucure (roads, hotels, etc).

In short you're basically saying you'd rather just Americans to play in the sandbox?

Don't get too bent out of shape, I'm not saying close the gates to anybody, its just a preference, I just don't like too much oil money tilting the playing field.

I actually really like it when international teams compete in the same spirit as the US teams, that is as a real team, not just somebody showing up with a fat oil soaked checkbook.

One of my favorite races ever was watching Graeme Cowin make it all the way to the Winternational Funny Car finals against Kenny Bernstein in 1987.

They were running the car on a tight budget but gave it everything they had in the finals and blew it up big time in the process in trying to win. On the tow back in front of the stands they waved the Australian flag and the crowd (myself included) gave them a big ovation as a sign of respect for how hard they had competed.

That's the kind of international competition I respect, a real team going head to head with the US racers on the track, not just with their wallet.

Isn't Qatar one of the more progressive arab countries? I don't think drag racing is big enough to be affected the way F1 has been by the unrest

The NHRA turns 60 this year, as one of if not the oldest in the USA as far as a non profit car club. Up here in the dreggs of Canada there is a car club that turns 60 as well.
BCCCA (British Columbia Custom Car Assoc.) started much the same as NHRA and they racing started in the 50's on an airport, so in reality, the sport is as much canuck as it is american.

Dean

I didn't really like all the foreign money coming into the sport anyway.

Last time I made that statement I got accused of racism, just to be clear its nationalism, not racism.

Drag racing is a uniquely American sport and I didn't like seeing it get put up for bid as a personal play area to the guys with the biggest oil deposits.

You are OK with sending them all of our money for oil, but when they send some of it back you have a problem?

Drag Racing is a worldwide sport just like baseball is. Both are American in their origination but they've caught on all over the world. The Middle East isn't the only other area of the world getting in on drag racing. Many places in Europe and Australia have a big racing presence.

Fuji International Speedway near Tokyo, Japan, 1994. Their check to me was as good as any written to me in the United States:

Dscn0113.jpg

The Qatar money for drag racing is going away anyway when they have to get serious about setting up the world cup ... they are on the hook for about 20 billion dollars worth of stadiums ... not to mention all of the other infrastrucure (roads, hotels, etc).

They should stick to drag racing. 20B+ to host an international soccer tournament? I realize it's prestigious and all, but dang....as Bruton would say, that's a lot of Bellagios....:eek:

They should stick to drag racing. 20B+ to host an international soccer tournament? I realize it's prestigious and all, but dang....as Bruton would say, that's a lot of Bellagios....:eek:

It's the widest played and watched sport in the world. The World Cup is it's premier event. To make an impression on the world stage, $20b is a good bargain.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back