Dim Light strikes again. (1 Viewer)

Yeah, it sucks for the racer in this case, thinking its better and then winding up in the sand anyway, just to get DQ'd on your bye to the finals. Like getting lemon juice shot into your eye and kicked in the nuts. I feel for the guy in that sense... BUT, if there is any question as to the safety of your car, in this case, roll up, take the green, shut it off and go fix it for the final. I understand as much as anybody wanting to get data for the next lap, but something like brakes acting strange right before you run, I think some better decision making should have prevailed. You wouldn't send it down the track with low or no oil pressure would you? Or with an obvious bad vibration in the motor(I know a guy who thought it might clean up when he let the clutch out... Made a big mess of aluminum)? People take cars to the line unprepared all the time, but only with the anticipation of just taking the green in case the other guy doesn't show, red lights or crosses the center line.

As for how Dim arrives at his decision, he probably heard all he needed from his starting line crew and made the call. As for having brake pressure while staged after pumping the brakes, I don't know that it would even change his decision in this case. I'm not the world's biggest fan of Dim in the least, but I know it wouldn't change my mind either. It's not like you're pumping up a line lock, you have one set of brakes on your car and you had to do something out of the ordinary to them to even get them to work properly, yet you ran full bore anyway. He should be thankful he only got the run DQ'd at this point and not a suspended license for not exercising good judgement. Nobody goes up there with the intention of wrecking their shit or risking any more than they have to on a normal lap, but I'd question the racer's thought process in this case too. I hate it for the racer, but I actually agree there should be some accountability for the judgement exercised here.

One thing won't change. Light is a pompous A$$ Whole.

Never met the man, maybe you have, so I've no idea if what you're saying is true.

I DO know that for many of us, people in position of power, whose job it is to make what are usually difficult and unpopular calls, are many times considered to be jerks and a-holes. Especially if we disagree with those calls.

A couple of years ago, I worked the autocross course at the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals at the Minnesota Fairgrounds. (It has since moved to Milwaukee.) My job was to send cars from the staging lanes to the entrance point of the course.

I felt like someone had written "jerk" on my forehead.

A couple of years ago, I worked the autocross course at the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals at the Minnesota Fairgrounds. (It has since moved to Milwaukee.) My job was to send cars from the staging lanes to the entrance point of the course.

I felt like someone had written "jerk" on my forehead.

I do tech inspections for drift events. When you have to tell a guy he can't run because his belts expired 5 years ago (which you told him at the last event) or his windshield is cracked you better have fireproof pants on. After doing tech, I also run the grid for qualifying and eliminations (called battles in drifting). It is like herding cats. You kinda have to be a jerk to get anyone to do anything out there, otherwise you will be ignored and ultimately blamed.

I am in no way comparing myself to Graham Light per this thread, but I can see how hard his job is. He probably makes 999 decisions a race that are equally important to somebody that you never hear of, but he makes that 1 call that some don't agree with and the daggers come out.

Last edited:
I do tech inspections for drift events. When you have to tell a guy he can't run because his belts expired 5 years ago (which you told him at the last event) or his windshield is cracked you better have fireproof pants on. After doing tech, I also run the grid for qualifying and eliminations (called battles in drifting). It is like herding cats. You kinda have to be a jerk to get anyone to do anything out there, otherwise you will be ignored and ultimately blamed.

I am in no way comparing myself to Graham Light per this thread, but I can see how hard his job is. He probably makes 999 decisions a race that are equally important to somebody that you never hear of, but he makes that 1 call that some don't agree with and the daggers come out.
Light makes decisions based on who is involved. They have nothing to do with safety or what is right.

I'm amazed that folks are still on Light all this time after the fact. All you had to do was be watching it all unfold, or talk to somebody that watched it all unfold to know there was an issue. We can, and have complained about some of his decisions, but he got this one right. And I hope I don't stage alongside anybody that believes different.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back