Beckmans brake rotors at top end!! ouch (1 Viewer)

Doug in the woods

Nitro Member
After the chutes failed to deploy Beckman really pulled the reins in to stop his ride using brakes only.
The rotors were red hot as can be seen throught the wheels and when they showed the rear wheels from inside/under the car.
I wonder if they changed the rotors in between rounds?
As hot as them rotors were I have a hunch the brakes could drag slowing the car down next round?
Beckman did lose the next round??

It won't make any difference on the next run. Ever see the rotors glow on open wheel cars? They run for a couple hours that way with hundreds of heat cycles. They use carbon fiber rotors as well. No big deal, although I'm sure it was checked out with the between rounds routine. They always are.

Were you giving Factual INFO or am uninformed thought process ? I would sugest reading up on carbon / carbon breaks.

PS I looked better at the track then it did on TV. Yes I was there. :)

On our Late Model Stock Car, Shannon gets the brakes glowing like that after about 10 laps of hard racing. You'd think with them getting that hot after 10 laps of a 100 lap main they'd be worthless by the end of the night and while she occasionally has to dial in a little more bias to the fronts during the race, the next weekend they are fine again. We can go about 15-20 races on a set of rotors and shoes and that is in a stock car. A funny car actually puts alot less wear and tear on them, even when getting on them as hard as Beckman did. I'm not saying they shouldn't be checked each round, but still, I'm sure they were ok.

Hey Ray Ghio, did you ever go out to 99 Speedway here in town to watch the stock cars run? Or are you a straight line only guy? Just wondering if we ever ran across each other :D

Last edited:
Yes you do have to regularly service the brakes on these cars. T.J. sands the rotors after every run and the brakes are completely bled after every race.

Carbon Fiber brakes on a road course or oval track car are much larger and more durable than what's on a drag car.

Mike Dunn talked about the proper technique for getting stopped with carbon fibre brakes - they have more stopping power when hot, so you should apply the pressure gradually instead of slamming your foot down. That allows the pads to drag and heat the rotor up before clamping down hard. Much easier to say than do, of course, when the sand pit is getting really big, really fast. Oval track and road course drivers use a similar technique and most of them left-foot brake so they can drag the brakes slightly while still on the gas - I think it's called "trail braking."

Mike Dunn talked about the proper technique for getting stopped with carbon fibre brakes - they have more stopping power when hot, so you should apply the pressure gradually instead of slamming your foot down.

There have been numerous Pro Stock cars get into trouble in the shutdown area, but these days it's just about a thing of the past since the drivers are now familiar with CF brakes.

In just about all of the wild rides, the driver jumped on the brakes hard - and the rear tires locked. From that point on they're of very little use as any attempt to feather them usually results in another instant lock up.

Like Larry says, it takes a huge amount of restraint to keep from quivering your knee on the pedal when you want to slow down right now...

Like Larry says, it takes a huge amount of restraint to keep from quivering your knee on the pedal when you want to slow down right now...

Not in a Funny Car it doesn't. If you can get your foot on the brake handle, you must be Gumby-LOL

Missed you this weekend Dan, we had some new kid, don't remember his name............J.....something

Alan

What was the deal with all the parachute failures this weekend and all the cars going into the sand. I dont ever recall there being that many before at a race. Maybe it was just me but I dont think so.

There was a stout tailwind, so if the launcher didn't get the chute clear of the wheelie bars so it could blossom. there was less airflow to help it deploy.

Not in a Funny Car it doesn't. If you can get your foot on the brake handle, you must be Gumby-LOL

Missed you this weekend Dan, we had some new kid, don't remember his name............J.....something

Alan

Yeah, well, I was referring to REAL cars that have foot controls like every car built since 1910 or so....:D Yes, I know that a lot of PS cars have hand brakes, too, but I doubt very many guys are using them at 200+ mph.

I was supposed to do the Indy race, but you know how that went.

Besides, I'm getting the idea that Rick keeps me out of Vegas for the big shows. However he didn't have a problem throwing me to the wolves when there were 1000 cars at a points meet.

J/K, Mr Green, but you say you never read anything here anyway.

I'm looking forward to Atlanta and getting back in the saddle again. See you there.

By the way, I though the new kid did a pretty good job for his first shot!

The late Elmer Trett used to have a problem stopping on short tracks like Maple Grove with his to fuel motorcycle, which uses brakes only.

He told me that at the grove, at night, by the time he was stopped, the rotors were yellow. Then they would warp, and the mini bike they pushed him back to the pit with, almost didn't have enough power to overcome the rotors and move the bike.

Jay

Hijack, sort of..

Did Beer Kid's car look a bit more up on the tire in the last two rounds to anybody else? Looked alot like the St. Louis Arch about 1000'...:eek:

Beckman did a superb job of getting that car stopped with no chutes. He must have started warming those brakes at about 1000 feet to get them warmed up for use. Oh and Dan, this is the first time in YEARS Rick's let me play at Vegas! I guess kind of like putting the old used up horse in with the young stallion. The bad thing about that city is it eats into my profit for some odd reason. Darn I HATE those tables!

Depending on whos break pads and the make up of them... the pads might be the only thing that was or should have been changed...

Billy

Re: Hijack, sort of..

Did Beer Kid's car look a bit more up on the tire in the last two rounds to anybody else? Looked alot like the St. Louis Arch about 1000'...:eek:
Well isn't that where AB is located?? :D I've been up in that Arch which was FN cool... AB plant was alright, I just wanted the free beer at the end... :p Then I order one brew and check out their energy drink... I walked 10 miles for a cup of suds, and a headache... ARGH!! Made up for it at the track however... :D $78.00 for a 12 pack... Good thing we brought over a hundred along with us over three nights... WHAT?? It was hotter then the sun at that place... And I was thirsty...

Note- That car was scary arched, and if you noticed when he slapped it shut, it looked like a swimming pool... I hope a lot of weld, and chassis checkin goes on with that thing... You know the ole paper clip deal...

Last edited:
Re: Hijack, sort of..

I thought it was me. I was watching the broadcast with my wife and said "wow is that chassis arched big time". Looked like there was a foot of clearance between the lower body panel and the strip surface! Seems like that's a bit more flex than they want????

What you guys need to remember, is that most of the cars now days are going to the 1 piece body. The body stays straight, and the chassis arches within the body, as it is only attatched at the nose, and at the bottom rear. You just can't see them arch. BB is one of the few that uses a Multi Piece body still. BB and Dixon are the only cars in the top 10 that have a Mckinney car with regular body work. Hartley and Vandigriff also have Mckinney cars, but they use the "tall" body, tank forward design.

Paul, what you are saying is completely understood... But really until the last year or so, 90% of the cars were the multi-paneled cars... So we have seen this type of thing for many many years... Schumachers car jumps immediatly to my mind... It just seemed like that baby was hauling the mail, and the arch was quite visible, more so than I remember in the past... That does not mean that they have not changed how much more arch is built into these new cars... But it was a bit disturbing for me anyway to see the arch suddenly almost touch the track when Brandon lifted... Back to the paperclip effect... That's all...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back