Did Anyone Notice? (1 Viewer)

mgty3whlr

Nitro Member
There has been a lot of controversy over the Compulink tree for at least the whole season. Did anyone notice that last night's qualifying, The tree wasn't flickering when they were staging? Mr. Brockmeyer might wanna look at his propriety cables used to operate the tree and such because it seems like the old cable that doesn't match his technology seem to correct that issue.

The flickering has nothing to do with the timing system or wiring or any of that. The LED lights are not actually flickering in real time, the flickering is only visible on video, It has to do with the camera. Someone who is smarter than me can explain it better but basically LED's when videoed at 30fps and higher will have a strobe like effect. They may have lowered the camera to the standard 24fps last night.

Understood because, I explained that before that the shutter speed of the camera fps clashed with the actual leds. How ever, because they were using fiber optics with the compulink v.s. standard wiring, the speed of the data is much faster causing that issue also. So, finally after almost after almost an entire season, They finally decide to adjust the frame rate? You don't think that they noticed it in the beginning to middle of the season when they were editing the content for tv?

There has been a lot of controversy over the Compulink tree for at least the whole season. Did anyone notice that last night's qualifying, The tree wasn't flickering when they were staging? Mr. Brockmeyer might wanna look at his propriety cables used to operate the tree and such because it seems like the old cable that doesn't match his technology seem to correct that issue.
It's flickering on the tvs at the track for whatever that's worth. It's the nhra.tv feed.

Understood because, I explained that before that the shutter speed of the camera fps clashed with the actual leds. How ever, because they were using fiber optics with the compulink v.s. standard wiring, the speed of the data is much faster causing that issue also.

Perhaps they should slow the data speeds so the lights won't flicker on TV. That would stop people from complaining about the flicker every week.

I did notice a Photographer shooting the tree when a pair of cars left the line. Looked odd to me because the guy kept checking his camera from shade to tree, shade to tree. When both cars staged the Photographer stayed with the tree when the cars launched.

LOL, the "NHRA.TV" feed refreshes at a faster rate than the LEDs (frequency as Alan called it). Its almost the same issues with the finish line shots, where the vehicle on the top looks closer than the one on the bottom....because of how the video refreshes

LOL, the "NHRA.TV" feed refreshes at a faster rate than the LEDs (frequency as Alan called it). Its almost the same issues with the finish line shots, where the vehicle on the top looks closer than the one on the bottom....because of how the video refreshes
For $6,000 the NHRA could have a 960 FPS finish line camera. That's .001 second per frame. That would end the distorted Finish line shots. The tree flicker doesn't bother me but for a major racing series where the finish line is a huge part of the story the finish line video needs to be better IMHO.

For $6,000 the NHRA could have a 960 FPS finish line camera. That's .001 second per frame. That would end the distorted Finish line shots. The tree flicker doesn't bother me but for a major racing series where the finish line is a huge part of the story the finish line video needs to be better IMHO.
What's sad is the comparison of 9+ year old technology to today's. Look at the "photo finish" here from the 2012 Bristol event.

And if NHRA is going to insist on 2 finish lines, can we get 2 finish line video cameras? Or at least one camera at the 1320 mark? I don't know why but for me it's unwatchable to see the 1320 classes speed past the "finish line camera" with 320 feet to go.

within the first 3 words, you hit it on the head Jim....$6,000...obviously, its "good enough"

The flickering has nothing to do with the timing system or wiring or any of that. The LED lights are not actually flickering in real time, the flickering is only visible on video, It has to do with the camera. Someone who is smarter than me can explain it better but basically LED's when videoed at 30fps and higher will have a strobe like effect. They may have lowered the camera to the standard 24fps last night.
I've never hear of 24 fps being "standard". 30 fps is what television is broadcast in. Pre HD and post B&W it was broadcast at 29.97 fps. Before television was broadcast in color, B&W broadcast speed was also 30 fps. The only part of my education in this matter I cant recall is why they had to slow down 0.03 fps for color broadcast.

There is even more to this that gets weird. Europe broadcasts area different as well. I cant remember if it's the speed, or lines, but its why VHS's and early DVD players were US and EU only (had nothing to do with power differences between the two continents). Newer DVD, BluRay and up can switch between the two versions (another part of my education I'm a bit fuzzy on, but remember the basics).

I've never hear of 24 fps being "standard". 30 fps is what television is broadcast in. Pre HD and post B&W it was broadcast at 29.97 fps. Before television was broadcast in color, B&W broadcast speed was also 30 fps. The only part of my education in this matter I cant recall is why they had to slow down 0.03 fps for color broadcast.

There is even more to this that gets weird. Europe broadcasts area different as well. I cant remember if it's the speed, or lines, but its why VHS's and early DVD players were US and EU only (had nothing to do with power differences between the two continents). Newer DVD, BluRay and up can switch between the two versions (another part of my education I'm a bit fuzzy on, but remember the basics).
The video world is a complicated world, where the standard is, there is no standard.

If they went to a much lower fps, With today's tv's there would be a noticeable difference with blurring when they follow the cars down the track.

still don't understand why there is not a reliable, in focus, not warped, finish line camera. sure seems like there used to be one in 90's and 2000's?
thousandths of a second m.o.v. i think dictates full proof systems at finish line. timing system backed up by reliable camera, and vice versa

still don't understand why there is not a reliable, in focus, not warped, finish line camera. sure seems like there used to be one in 90's and 2000's?
thousandths of a second m.o.v. i think dictates full proof systems at finish line. timing system backed up by reliable camera, and vice versa
They have Mark Rebilas at most of these events…….including this one. If he was in charge of this, imagine how beautiful those shots would be! It’s mind boggling.

use a drone over finish line with high speed camera. if it's mildly expensive, at least it won't get wiped out from car sliding on wall out of control.
have someone fly it up for every run. have some tech guy in tv production enable the camera remotely

use a drone over finish line with high speed camera. if it's mildly expensive, at least it won't get wiped out from car sliding on wall out of control.
have someone fly it up for every run. have some tech guy in tv production enable the camera remotely
A Lot cheaper than the Lucas Oil helicopter!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back