Did anyone notice??? (1 Viewer)

Ma Green

Nitro Member
Aside from the fact that it was very tacky of NHRA/ESPN to air a spot on Alexis DeJorio (they never show Alky cars) showing her foray into the net last year,(of course Daddy does have mega-bucks) it did provide some good information. Did anyone notice the distance between the track and the first net? Did you also notice how much flex that net had? ....and she survived.

Aside from the fact that it was very tacky of NHRA/ESPN to air a spot on Alexis DeJorio (they never show Alky cars) showing her foray into the net last year,(of course Daddy does have mega-bucks) it did provide some good information. Did anyone notice the distance between the track and the first net? Did you also notice how much flex that net had? ....and she survived.

she is one very lucky lady.

Aside from the fact that it was very tacky of NHRA/ESPN to air a spot on Alexis DeJorio (they never show Alky cars) showing her foray into the net last year,(of course Daddy does have mega-bucks) it did provide some good information.

Tacky? The hell you say...:confused:

I'd say it was a relevent interview. There's lots of talk lately about track safety, nets, and containment systems, the result of the deaths of two prominent Alcohol class racers. And the possibility of another female moving into the nitro ranks.

Perhaps ESPN needed some filler, since Round 2 of Top Fuel qualifying was scrubbed. Personally, I enjoyed it.

I thought it was an enjoyable spot as well. Did I also catch some mention of her moving into the fuel ranks, or was that just speculation and wishful thinking on the part of ESPN?

I thought it was an enjoyable spot as well. Did I also catch some mention of her moving into the fuel ranks, or was that just speculation and wishful thinking on the part of ESPN?

It has been her goal from the beginning. She wants to prove herself in the TA/FC ranks before she moves up. Her dad could probably buy most of the companies that sponsor the other teams without transferring any money from checking to savings so $$ won't be an issue. She is a classy lady and we hope the best for her.

It was a lot better than the ALMS race last weekend, when they interviewed her father and introduced her as "the number seven drag racer in the world."

Jim

I also noticed she had a lot more 'stuff' to absorb the impact. A lot more mass and speed to stretch that net.

I thought it was a nice segment on her. Doesn't she work on the car herself as well?

Maybe we should change the conversation from catch nets to cockpit intrusion. Nets aren't killing the alcohol racers, stuff getting into the drivers seems to be.

Did you notice though how the front end of the chassis folded up and back into the motor? If the car had been a rear engined dragster, who knows how that would have played out.

Maybe we should change the conversation from catch nets to cockpit intrusion. Nets aren't killing the alcohol racers, stuff getting into the drivers seems to be.

NHRA needs to take a look at how the cockpits are protected in F1, Indycar, even NASCAR and ALMS, and learn from them.

As has already been pointed out in Mark Niver's crash the first net had little or no give at all and the deceleration was almost instantaneous. I would think a standard for net tension needs to be developed so the first net has some give, let the second or maybe even a third net make the final stop.

And it may sound strange but should a driver consider deliberately steering to the wall and use it to scrub off some speed in case he or she was "going long" at high speed?

gonna' take a guess and say both nets are identical, i believe as g. light
stated in comp. plus article last week........very different speed and mass.
pat, you are right though - the distance from leading edge of sand to the first net may be different.

enjoyed the espn piece on Alexis, it is obvious she understands the risks.
wish her much success and longevity in drag racing.
believe i read somewhere she was originally interested in open wheel racing
until she saw her first drag race.......good thing for that!

Ma, you've been around this sport for how long? And Alexis is the first racer you've seen have wealthy parents? Hmmmm

And it may sound strange but should a driver consider deliberately steering to the wall and use it to scrub off some speed in case he or she was "going long" at high speed?

A driver shouldn't have to make that decision. You're choosing between definite damage and possible damage. Most of us would choose that latter in a split second decision situation.
It would be difficult for me to choose purposely damaging or possibly destroying my car.
We have an expectation that the track has taken steps to protect us.

And it may sound strange but should a driver consider deliberately steering to the wall and use it to scrub off some speed in case he or she was "going long" at high speed? ..........

what if wall past finish line had soft/breakaway/moveable/detachable/etc.?

your car is in trouble and the end of track safety equipment is in place,
but what if you COULD drive your car into wall that was not hard concrete?
some type of break-a-way barrier that would scrub speed BEFORE you
enter the sand/net/barrier/end of track

I really enjoyed the piece on her this week also. I think that she is great for the sport, and hopefully she will keep improving and work her way up to the professional ranks.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back