Greg Anderson Racing with Visor up? (1 Viewer)

Shoefan

Nitro Member
Did anyone else notice on the ESPN 2 broadcast that Greg Anderson was racing with his helmet visor up during the K&N challenge and on Sunday? I assume he did it so he can see the tree better, but it is a huge safety risk. Is there a rule stating that the visor must be down? The Summit Cars have been prone to fire at the top end and I am surprised he would take this risk.

Some of the Pro Stock drivers have been doing that for years. Evidently they feel no great danger to do this and neither does NHRA. Is it a rule? I would doubt it or NHRA would have done something about it before now.
Somebody on here must have a current rulebook that could look it up and report back. Thanx

From the very first section of the very first chapter in the rulebook that deals with safety or equipment:

PROPER USE OF SAFETY EQUIPMENT
Seat belts must be worn and adjusted in such a manner that the driver’s torso and head cannot extend outside the parameters of the roll cage. The loosening and removal of seat belts, helmets, gloves, window nets, lifting of helmet shield, and removal of all other safety equipment is prohibited from the time the vehicle leaves the ready line until the vehicle is on the return road. Violators will be subject to disciplinary action in the sole and absolute discretion of NHRA.

(emphasis added)

We saw a Reputable Top Fuel Driver on ESPN going down the track with his face shield up, It was CRAZY Looking LOL

See lots of things on TV that we never see when we racing :D:D

And what about anything in the mouth, except a mouth protector?
IE. Gum, Tobacco, anything else.

Rulebook states shield mandatory, but doesn't say needs to be closed, I'm guessing that next year the wording will change to address this.

Hey Nancy!

Back in the early 1990's after I made a pass in my TA/FC I got out and stuck my fingers under my chin to unstrap my helmet. After poking around for a while I discovered I forgot to strap it. YIKES!

It's likely that Greg forgot to flip it down, and that would be the simplist and most boring reason of all.

RG

Good thing about a dragster, just leave it cracked the tinniest little bit and that sucker will close by the 60 ft cone

You do not need to close the faceshield in an enclosed car. The windshield is your shield. Although it is recommended.

That Greg Anderson !!! Who does he think he is !!! When he comes to a stop
The NHRA security should drag him out of the car and punish him !!

Some of the Pro Stock drivers have been doing that for years. Evidently they feel no great danger to do this and neither does NHRA. Is it a rule? I would doubt it or NHRA would have done something about it before now.
Somebody on here must have a current rulebook that could look it up and report back. Thanx

PROPER USE OF SAFETY EQUIPMENT
The loosening and removal of seat belts, helmets, gloves, window nets, lifting of helmet shield, and removal of all other safety equipment is prohibited from the time the vehicle leaves the ready line until the vehicle is on the return road.

Funny....in my altereds, I have always lef my visor up through start up and the burn out procedure and then close it before staging....and then lift it again as I am on the turn out....

In the late sixties ( I think) a Top Gas racer, D.A. Santucci choked on his chewing gum during the run. I think he won the race but damn near died.

With the humidity there, and judging by the towel in his lap, he wiped his face with,

I'd say he was wary of the visor fogging up , and not having a clear view of the tree.:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back