$ cuts? (1 Viewer)

not sure what the full payouts are per national event for the 4 pro categories. rite now with the new slashed payouts, each race pays out approx. 325k.......if the regular figure per race
is around 700-800k, then over 24 races that's somewhere north of 15mil ...... now figure the annual mello yello deal mite be worth 5-7mil ....... pretty big discrepancy

It's all public if you want a look: https://projects.propublica.org/non..._87-95/951686172_201812_990O_2020060917183371
This is the most recent tax return I can find, for 2018. Makes for interesting reading and there's some pretty big costs.
Note the $74 million in admission and spectator revenue, it's by far the biggest revenue source and this year it must have been hit seriously hard. The 2020 tax return is going be fascinating to read in years to come.

We know the FC ranks will be missing two cars next season; TJ’s and Beckman’s.
Did anybody hear Beckman, at the top end after the win, when he said he doesn’t know if he’ll ever race at Indy again?
That sounded to me like DSR hasn’t found a sponsor for that team.
Jack has said he is actively looking for sponsors. Probably not having much luck. Until the economy really recovers and folks can feel comfortable getting out all sports are going to take a hit.

Something that you may not have considered, sending the cars to a smaller track or to a divisional event sounds great. But it doesn't cost less to run the car at Small Town Dragway than it does at Charlotte. That's why you see so few match races these days. Those small tracks would love to have 8 Funny Cars come in for a Saturday Night Shootout, but where it used to be $5,000 to book a car for the night, it now costs more than that to make one run. Book in 8 cars at 5K each, $40,000.00. Sell 5000 tickets at $20 that's $100,000.00 and the numbers work. When each car needs 20K to cover costs, you can't do it.

Alan

1599688291784.png

Somebody posted this over at Yellowbullet. Not sure if it's accurate, or if all those are still on the payroll. Add Alan's salary in there and that number probably doubles! 😁

Something that you may not have considered, sending the cars to a smaller track or to a divisional event sounds great. But it doesn't cost less to run the car at Small Town Dragway than it does at Charlotte. That's why you see so few match races these days. Those small tracks would love to have 8 Funny Cars come in for a Saturday Night Shootout, but where it used to be $5,000 to book a car for the night, it now costs more than that to make one run. Book in 8 cars at 5K each, $40,000.00. Sell 5000 tickets at $20 that's $100,000.00 and the numbers work. When each car needs 20K to cover costs, you can't do it.

Alan

That's true, and of course I get carried away as a drag racing tragic. There are many other costs to factor in. But it is fun to play hypotheticals.
Let's hypothetically say we are doing the NHRA Mello Yello Funny Car Showdown presented by Nitromater, where teams race for Mello Yello points. That's a $250,000 payout. It will be a two night show at a track where you can stack about 7,500 people in, so a mid-size track. I was thinking somewhere like Maryland (though I realize it is under IHRA sanction, and it has a capacity of around 10,000).
Two nights of racing and let's say we do manage to get 15,000 attendance. An NHRA show would carry a premium ticket price, perhaps in the range of $40 for Top Fuel OR Funny Car. So we are now doing about $600,000 at the gate before we factor in premium seating, hospitality and so on.
Maybe there is a neat sportsman show (because a lot of sportsman racers want to spectate for the big show as well) and we get some back gate income too. Maybe the Nitro Mall is a trailer instead of a big marquee, but it will do great business because this is a new track, as will the racers' merchandise trailers. Maybe the event is in a new region, so you have a fresh shot at sponsorship. But then of course we have to advertise extensively, get the Safety Safari there, tech and so on, and we have a risk cost associated with weather etc. Perhaps we put it on TV, but we go with a three-camera set up and do a magazine-style show that is screened later rather than live to save on production costs while still getting as many eyeballs as possible.

All just hypothetical, brain experiment stuff, because it is fun to do and nobody has to listen haha.

I suppose the end question is, what is NHRA's expected profit on an average national event? I can see their overall revenue for sponsorship and admission in the tax return but naturally it is hard to break down what costs would be associated with actually running the events. But if we can get to a position where NHRA earns similar revenue, while racers have less events (as some seem to be asking for), could that be a good thing?

I think one of the reasons for NHRA's success is that it stays very stable (a very underrated strategy and people are quick to point out bad crowds but often don't recognise NHRA is still the only game in town that can pull the crowds it does 24 times a year), but that isn't to say we couldn't extend that model into new markets with some changes in how we perceive the 'big show'.

How about we get a couple of ex-racers on the NHRA BOD who get the business thing? Kalitta, Bernstein and Schumacher come to mind. They seem to know their way around a boardroom.

Those small tracks would love to have 8 Funny Cars come in for a Saturday Night Shootout, but where it used to be $5,000 to book a car for the night, it now costs more than that to make one run.

About 10 years ago, I was talking with a track owner who later sold the track to race Pro Stock. He told me that he would never bring in Funny Cars or Top Fuel for exhibitions or match races because once he did that, his fan base would expect it and would stop showing up for events that did not have fuel cars.

Just from money savings why do they have HQ in the most expensive place on earth and have all the executives there.....move to indy or wherever executives dont like it see ya later good luck in the future

I'm thinking the NHRA will try to save face and cancel Gainsville before the racers have a chance to boycott it.

Wow this is quickly becoming a real s**tshow. Well, we've all felt the NHRA was due for sweeping changes to survive and grow going forward, looks like it's happening. It will be really interesting to see what happens in Gainesville, the rest of the year, and more importantly, 2021.

I'm waiting to see what NHRA posts about tickets for Gainesville and how many fans will be allowed. You'd think that with the event being only two weeks away that information would be announced by now?

I kinda posted on this before, but am wondering what will happen w/ 2021 Winterntas. Finals were moved to Vegas & am wondering if Winternats may move to Vegas as well. Or Phoenix, either track would have (usually) good weather. Pomona is such a tradition, would hate to see if moved, but, as the song goes, "the times they are a changing"

What is being missed is the opportunity by other tracks to host. I heard once that independent tracks had to pay to host a National event, and then cover 50% of the total PRO purse. The gate was negotiated to a % in favor of NHRA. Not sure if this was true, but heard it from a few different sources. So with the schedule presented at NHRA owned tracks, they are taking a bigger than normal hit. I get it.

On the other hand, they have hired several financial people in the past with little to no experience in this type of non-profit. How do these guys not have a plan or fund set aside for a rainy day?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back