$ cuts? (1 Viewer)

Id like to know with almost 1,000,000 in a salary how much of a hit they took on his pay? My guess is none. If they are truly concerned for the well being of nhra they all would take a cut

This is sort of off topic, but sort of on point since it relates to raceday profits:

I never went to an ADRL race, but didn't they do a business model of charging very low admission with the thought they would get people in the door and they would spend $ on concessions and souveniers? From my understanding, some of the ADRL events were very well attended. I don't know enough about ADRL to know if this was part of the reason for their decline, or if there were other Management issues that were the cause. Does anyone know if the ADRL model was profitable, and if a lower ticket price with more on-site sales of concessions, etc. would work for NHRA? I do not know if the track owner keeps all profits from concessions, etc., or if NHRA gets a cut.

(Again, if low ticket price model caused ADRL's decline, then it obviously didn't work. However, if their decline was due to other issues behind the scenes, maybe there is something there worth investigating. We understand due to Covid, the number of spectators is limited. I'm thinking of a post-Covid professional drag racing event)

NHRA is a business like any other business. They need money to survive. I supported NHRA by going to Indy3 and I will also attend Vegas. I’ve been trying to support restaurants, hotels, airlines as much as possible in 2020. if you can afford to go out and comfortable doing it, do it! I received an email from a Brazilian steakhouse in Chandler yesterday asking for busines because the next two weeks will determine if they will survive. Many companies have closed their doors permanently in 2020 so we all need to support who we can so they can survive and thrive in the future.

While not a smaller track. Norwalk does a 6 car Nitro funny car show every year and packs the place. They've billed it as the largest one day drag race, not sure if that's legit or PR play but it's crowded.

I think match racing can survive, remember a few years back the NHRA put a limit on how many times cars could run and that really killed the match race seen. I believe I recall Wilkerson saying how much they made doing that and it really hurt his program. Those rules are no longer in place but it really put a hurt on races that happened once tracks couldn't book them they looked elsewhere. Once you kick people away you can't always get them back. Between that and the amount of races it makes the opportunities to be able to book a show for the full time teams very difficult.
US131 (Martin Mi) has a few bigger shows a year and book in some part time teams a few times a year and they survive very well.

Wait a minute.........Tom Compton is still with the NHRA? Maybe this is his witness protection pay, lol.

I was wondering the same thing. He just disappeared how is he getting paid still?

I was surprised TV production and compulink weren't higher cost

This is sort of off topic, but sort of on point since it relates to raceday profits:

I never went to an ADRL race, but didn't they do a business model of charging very low admission with the thought they would get people in the door and they would spend $ on concessions and souveniers? From my understanding, some of the ADRL events were very well attended. I don't know enough about ADRL to know if this was part of the reason for their decline, or if there were other Management issues that were the cause. Does anyone know if the ADRL model was profitable, and if a lower ticket price with more on-site sales of concessions, etc. would work for NHRA? I do not know if the track owner keeps all profits from concessions, etc., or if NHRA gets a cut.

(Again, if low ticket price model caused ADRL's decline, then it obviously didn't work. However, if their decline was due to other issues behind the scenes, maybe there is something there worth investigating. We understand due to Covid, the number of spectators is limited. I'm thinking of a post-Covid professional drag racing event)

I wish I could find the interviews I was looking for but it seemed as though the ADRL was on quite an upswing thanks to the title sponsor (National Guard) until they took exception to Kenny Nowlings involvement with Al-Anabi causing them to drop sponsorship. It was a downward spiral from there. Broken promises and financial issues as a result of too many handshake agreements. The races I attended were pretty entertaining and they sold a lot of T-shirts. I am of the belief if you lower ticket prices you will still get the money with a bump in merchandise sales along with increased attendance. Just my opinion.

I wish I could find the interviews I was looking for but it seemed as though the ADRL was on quite an upswing thanks to the title sponsor (National Guard) until they took exception to Kenny Nowlings involvement with Al-Anabi causing them to drop sponsorship. It was a downward spiral from there. Broken promises and financial issues as a result of too many handshake agreements. The races I attended were pretty entertaining and they sold a lot of T-shirts. I am of the belief if you lower ticket prices you will still get the money with a bump in merchandise sales along with increased attendance. Just my opinion.
I believe the model was viable when ADRL had a major sponsor, especially one such as the National Guard who I would imagine are keen to get the details of everybody who walks through the door as potential recruits.

In regards to ticket prices, from my experiences working for a race track the ticket price was not as big an influence as you would think. People's time has become so much more valuable now. They will pay the money so long as the show is worth it. We tried heavily discounted tickets to shows without big features and to be honest, we would have been better off keeping them at the normal price.

Somebody posted they couldnt find tickets to Gville

I received an email today from NHRA that all general admission tickets for Gainesville are being turned into reserved seat tickets so they might not be selling new seats until all the current GA tickets are allocated. They are doing this so they can enforce social distancing. I have TEC tickets and I am supposed to get a separate email regarding those tickets but have not received it yet.

People saying the payout money is insignificant in the cost of running a team need to read Terry McMillens comments. Payout money is part of his budget. The price of nitro was increased this year for some unknown reason. All nitro comes from China and the price has not increased in years. WEGO is the importer and sells to others including SONOCO. As Terry said he uses the purse money for lodging, nitro, etc and with the increased costs of lodging due to the short notice for the Gainsville race his costs have just gone up and righly so he is not going to put himself into bankruptcy just to finish a bad season. His comment on NHRA not discussing the payout with PRO as they said they did is suspicious. We need to remember what Terry had said. He is not the only one in the same boat. Is NHRA doing racers a favor by continuing the season, that's a big question.

I was wondering the same thing. He just disappeared how is he getting paid still?

I was surprised TV production and compulink weren't higher cost

You do realize that you are looking at numbers for 2018!

ADRL charged for parking only, no admission at the gate.

I wonder if the N.H.R.A. is going to make any comments about everything that been has going before the Gatornationals or are they just going to wait and see what happens next.

I know a lot of people are wondering if they should make the trip to Gainesville or just not go this year.
Their fear is it may not be much of a show! Only time will tell what their next move will be but with the Gators only a few weeks away everyone right now has more questions than answers.

Jim Hill

I hope everyone reads this story and understands just how important the pay-out money is to many of these teams.

Jim Hill
Sounds like there is talk of a boycott. And they would have a good reason. I really hope something rises from the ashes for 2021 and beyond, but I am less hopeful every week. How many independent tracks are going under?

If the "gate" in 2018 was $75 Million, how much could it be this year? NHRA is hurting but so are many people in the entertainment, restaurant, or hotel business.
I think somebody else suggested: It's about survival!
I was 'kinda pissed when JFR pulled the plug but am now more understanding of his position. He has a lot of mouths to feed and wants to be around next (we hope) year.

If any of you have Facebook I’ll point you to a video Cruz Pedregon just posted from his shop in Indy. It’s a glass half full approach and he lays out his point of view as a team owner. Very well spoken and a realistic view on things.

People saying the payout money is insignificant in the cost of running a team need to read Terry McMillens comments.

I am one who said that and I stand by it. I read what McMillen said and would counter by repeating my statement that any team that depends on a purse to run is underfunded.

Teams do not know going into a race how much of the purse -- if any -- they will get. Racing teams are a business and if you are running a business, you have to budget based on what you know will be coming in as income. There is no way to accurately project your purse income at the beginning of every season.

Sounds like there is talk of a boycott. And they would have a good reason. I really hope something rises from the ashes for 2021 and beyond, but I am less hopeful every week. How many independent tracks are going under?

I am hoping the NHRA is open to explaining their position because right now it appears to be a take the New pay-outs or else don't race! I really hope they start open talks on where the racers go from here.
I cannot image racers or sponsors going into 2021 without somehow sitting down with the NHRA and figuring out how to move forward or is this a take it or leave it type of offer.

Jim Hill

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back